Wingcommander for psp

Tomanak

Spaceman
Hey Guys/Gal's any news on a wingcommander convertions for the psp? You can run programs off of the duo so I think it is possible. Any thoughts?

The only other problem with running programs off a Duo is that soon you'll have to get another PSP to play PSP games - they'll check to make sure you have the latest software upgrade. So you'll have to keep a 1.0 PSP around and buy another one. Great way to get people to buy more, I guess.

Programming

Any idea on the technical stuff on making apps for the psp? Like programing language and required files. I wanted to try to do a hello world and then maybe start off with a space trader (wing commander prof) for the palm type of thing.

The problem is that the PSP, like every other Sony device, is proprietary in the extreme.. which means that they keep everything but the tech specs secret. I dunno if anyone has, or will be, doing any direct programming for the PSP, even with the capabilities of Duo-type memory.

The main thing you need is the sony psp development kit that contains not only the library functions you need (the firmware has a lot of standard calls to do things like saving, reading/write memory sticks, reading the UMD, etc), as well as what registers are used for what. And since Sony is controlling all the UMD burners (the devkit PSP has a long cable coming out where the UMD drive is, which connects to the devkit box (which has a UMD drive), it's a bit more difficult to go that route. (The developers use the devkit box to "emulate" a UMD, then they send off the image to Sony to make some UMDs for them, which they can then test using regular PSPs or the UMD drive on the devkit box.)

Hello world has been done - it was the first demonstration app that used a flaw in the 1.0 firmware to load a duo program. And it all has source code too. But you're limited to those who have the original Japanese PSP and those who didn't update the firmware on the PSP (getting rarer as the originals will run only the games that could use the old firmware - new games require the new firmware).

Back