Wing Commander vs Freelancer

:(

None.
Freelancer =|= Priv

Freelancer =!= WC

Something tells me that this thread will be closed :(

This doesn't really sound like it actually is a versus style thread... it looks like it's asking for a classification of Freelancer. If that's what the thread turns into, fine... if it turns into FREELANCER SUX0RS, WIGN COMMANDER ROX3RZ UR S0X0RZ! then it'll get closed.

You can't even rate them in the same league, but for me, and Privateer beeing the best WC game ever (MY opinion) Freelancer is a gift from heaven. Now excuse me , I've got to go to Manhattan.

Originally posted by kamiry
Freelancer = Privateer style game?
or
Freelancer = Wing Commander style game?
Thanks!

Privateer/Elite style. But far from reaching the depth of either. Also very simplicistic compared to most other space sims.

Freelancer is great. It's a combination of classic style open-ended gameplay with great graphics and modern game stuff. It's a rare gem. The good old Elite/Privateer gameplay is back.

It's a space combat game, and not too much of a "sim" in most people's books. But I think that it's not all that simplistic. You can assign weapons groups and stuff... There's a good deal of strategy you can use. It's like an Onion. If you are a basic player, the game is accessible, and if you are a veteran, you can use the more complex stuff.

That's good game design. Over-complicated games are not good games, just because of that. Being complicated is not a good feature for a game. MOO2 is very, complex and, yet, reasonably simple to play.

As for realism, Freelancer is reasonably realistic when it comes to space travel. You can go pretty much anywhere a system, you don’t really depend on pre-determined jumps or nav-points.

Besides, even I-War has sound in space. What space combat game is truly realistic?

Freelancer is fun, but the part that I didn't like is that the autopilot does much of the flying while you shoot. I would have preferred to keep manual control of both guns and maneuvering during combat.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Freelancer is fun, but the part that I didn't like is that the autopilot does much of the flying while you shoot. I would have preferred to keep manual control of both guns and maneuvering during combat.

Wow, you can autopilot while in combat? I must try that.

Dude, just go into 1st person and choose mouse flight, it plays just like WC. It's even better, because of the weapons arc.

Originally posted by TC
Wait... since when can you go into first person mode?

CTRL-V by default. It changes the view to inside the cockpit. It plays just like WC (except for the vectoring guns). It looks great because the ship doesn't obstruct the screen, and they even made virtual cockpits for different ships, like WCP.

Freelancer have the best mouse control method of all time. In fact, it's the ideal control for the game. You have to control both the direction you are firing and the direction of the ship, at the same time. It wouldn't be as good with the joystick, the mouse gives much more precision in this matter. The mouse doesn't directly controls the ship, it directly controls the guns, and the ship just follows the general direction set.

Originally posted by Ijuin

I highly agree....after years of flight and space sims with direct control of the craft (by use of a flightstick, not a mouse) and defensive manuvering, auto pilot is rather sissy in combat. This takes away the involvement in the game, passing the buck so to speak. As with anything, if you dont use it, you loose it. Get too used to a mouse and auto pilot in combat, you may find yourself in a rut when you return to a sim without these (features?) as found in Freelancer.

Might as well come up with a sim that has no player interaction and let the computer do it all.

Maybe the game industry is following the idea of the military, building remote controlled fighters with no on-board pilots. (wussys)

Oh well, back to VS.

Originally posted by dacis2
How do you get the ship to fly for you? I'm the only one flying most of the time 'expt for docking.

I think he means just centering the mouse on the bad guy and pressing the right mouse key. It's not really flying. Takes about as much skill as moving a file to the recycle bin on the desktop.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I think he means just centering the mouse on the bad guy and pressing the right mouse key. It's not really flying. Takes about as much skill as moving a file to the recycle bin on the desktop.

It's an oversimplification. It takes the same skill of every shooter. On WC, the "cursor" is the ship crosshair. In Counterstrike, it's the weapon crosshair.

The simple fact that weapons on Freelancer are not locked at fixed angle doesn’t affect the flying at all. If anything, it allows for more maneuvering since you don’t have to be heading the exact same directing you are firing. Just because the weapons have an arc doesn’t make it less of a combat sim than WC.

Back