Wing Commander Universe After Prophecy

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
I wonder what the Wing Commander universe is like after the war against the Nephilim? From what it looks like, the Nephilim War is going to be a long and bloody war.

There's really too little information to tell.. What if Confed were to send a strike team into Nephilim space to eliminate the queen bug/hive mind/colonel blair?

Well Privateer 2 the darkening is supposed to place after Prophecy....but "in a galaxy far far away" :p

TCSTigersClaw said:
Well Privateer 2 the darkening is supposed to place after Prophecy....but "in a galaxy far far away" :p

Privateer 2 I believe is set like hundreds of years after the Kilrathi War, like in the 29th century. Perhaps, the Nephilim War went badly, that they had evacuate. The Tri-System is heavily populated. Some planets had over 12 billion people.

Is that heavily populated? It's higher than the Earth population in the mid 27th Century, but we could easily hit 12 billion in the 21st. The Confederation population is in the trillions. Privateer 2 takes place in the 28th Century and refers to Confederation space as a separate area from the TriSystem.

ChrisReid said:
Is that heavily populated? It's higher than the Earth population in the mid 27th Century, but we could easily hit 12 billion in the 21st. The Confederation population is in the trillions. Privateer 2 takes place in the 28th Century and refers to Confederation space as a separate area from the TriSystem.

For a system far away from Confederation space in three systems, that is rather heavily populated and considering it is in the 28th century. Also, I assume the population includes aliens.

Ptarmigan said:
For a system far away from Confederation space in three systems, that is rather heavily populated and considering it is in the 28th century. Also, I assume the population includes aliens.

There's no reason to believe it doesn't, but we never see any, and that doesn't have anything to do with what we were discussing. If anything, it detracts from your idea that Confed evacuated there. We're talking about a society that consists of trillions of people here. You suggested some sort of Confed evacuation to the TriSystem. This isn't a debate about whether 12 billion is heavily population for an individual planet. Relative to the Confed population, 12 billion is simply no reason to support any sort of evacuation scenario (and as I posted above, there's plenty of evidence to contradict such an out-there idea).

ChrisReid said:
There's no reason to believe it doesn't, but we never see any, and that doesn't have anything to do with what we were discussing. If anything, it detracts from your idea that Confed evacuated there. We're talking about a society that consists of trillions of people here. You suggested some sort of Confed evacuation to the TriSystem. This isn't a debate about whether 12 billion is heavily population for an individual planet. Relative to the Confed population, 12 billion is simply no reason to support any sort of evacuation scenario (and as I posted above, there's plenty of evidence to contradict such an out-there idea).

Alright. I strayed out of topic. Anyways, it is too bad that Origin is not making sequels to Prophecy. It would be interesting to think about Wing Commander after Prophecy.

Well, Secret Ops goes into the next stage after Prophecy. And you can think about Strike Team.

From what i understood of the ending of SO, confed had captured the "stargate"
and was analysing it. in my thoughts they were setting up a new story to create a very simple mission plot:

-the confederation saves the entire universe all by itself, by sending a strike force,
with the flagship midway(with a working plasma weapon, and the cerberus, and
several other task forces through the gate(s)(ofcource other fleets will be present, but you will only hear about them) and within two or three sequels
hammer on the bugs until they surrender or are exterminated

ofcource, casey will fly off the midway.. and the cats and the border worlds will assist(they probably forgot the firekkans ever were in the game anyway)

the idea of a bugified blair remains very eighties, i would admire the writer who could make that issue not appear incredibly stupid.

it would make a nice and simple plot, and i would not mind the simple "fly there and kill everything we know of and other things you encounter, and we will tell you you have helped humanity and saved us all after 50 missions"

also, as for the tri system being the remains of confed, is too much a battlestar
galactica-yes we used to travel across space but we forgot how everything
worked- for today, or for ten years ago. (battlefield earth was no succes!!)

midway(with a working plasma weapon[)]

I'd hope it wouldn't have one, or be given a "might explode" description that limits its use. Why bother with fighters if one shot can kill an entire fleet? Just keep a few fighters around for BARCAP or recon, and save tons of creds on expensive fighters and pilots with similarly expensive training.

Not to mention totally ruin the whole concept of the game series.

Death said:
I'd hope it wouldn't have one, or be given a "might explode" description that limits its use. Why bother with fighters if one shot can kill an entire fleet? Just keep a few fighters around for BARCAP or recon, and save tons of creds on expensive fighters and pilots with similarly expensive training.

Not to mention totally ruin the whole concept of the game series.

Or have the Midway attacked and destroyed after it tries to use its big gun, thus turning the game back to 'Wing Commander' from 'Big Fleet-Killing Gun Commander'.

The answer to this topic is: Secret Ops.

After that, Confed did capture a portal to bugspace. Something secret was going on with the governor in the end.

Worth noting that human civilization first showed up on Anhur in 212 BC -- so presumably there's a good amount of Tri-System background that hasn't been told yet.

Figuring out where Prophecy was supposed to go is tricky... the original claim was that it would be the first part of a trilogy -- but by the time Secret Ops was written, that was clearly no longer to be the case. Strike Team was, per my understanding, another 'outline' sort of game, designed more to introduce multiplayer content than to tell a sweeping story.

The first time Paladin and Blair go in scimtars to attack a Ralari, there's a strike team. From a squadron. Lead by a Wing Commander.

There's really too little information to tell.. What if Confed were to send a strike team into Nephilim space to eliminate the queen bug/hive mind/colonel blair?

What do you mean by Blair?? Confed striking Nephilim space to eliminate the threat?

What was Strike Team about?

I got Priv 2 and I cant see to remember anything how that tri-system was formed?

I believe that there were some rumours about blair not dying a heroes death fighting man-to-bug with the nephilim in the starport, as seen in prophecy's final,
but that the bug captured him, took him back and turned him into a bug or
something...

Strike team would have been a sequal to secret ops.

The way that Prophecy ended has been debated to death... Literally. The game is shot ambiguously so that if there were sequels they had the option of following up on that, Yet the general consensus was that, for all intents and purposes, Blair was dead. There are still some who maintain varous theories about the possible fate of Blair.

I dont think confed would ever launch the kind of offensive into unknown space that you guys seem to be suggesting. They have absolutely no clue about the true nature of the nephilim nor of the size of fleet that would await them on the other side of the portal.

I would suggest that either the cerberus alone, or a captured and modified bug ship, would be sent through on strict stealth orders, a reconaisance mission. Asses the enemies capabilities and weaknesses and maybe find out more about their nature while they're at it. Just think: no reinforcements... every kill is a necessity. No communicating with HQ. Limited supplies. Of course they would find the bugs amasing for the death blow. An enormous invasion has begun. The final mission set would be a race home ahead of the bug fleet to warn confed. The game would end with them jumping back into confed space minutes ahead of the incomming bugs (a fleet so large its like the stars are blackened and armageddon has begun)... roll credits.

Of course that would lead up to a final game in which the final desperate stuggle is fought for the survival of mankind.

Back