Wing Commander Tactics Rapier done

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
here's some pics of the Rapier fighter, the confederation's main interceptor in wc:t

Attachments

• Rapierfront.jpg
    Rapierfront.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Rapierbehind.jpg
    Rapierbehind.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 246
Download the pics, boot them in photoshop, add 10% more brightness and 80% more contrast... then you get this.

Attachments

• Chevieblazer.jpg
    Chevieblazer.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 271
the blue is very, very soft, and mainly there to make the windows glow blue in the dark(wich is why i had the "insanely dar pictures"), as you can see below

and thanks marc

Attachments

• Rapierfront.jpg
    Rapierfront.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 208
i hate to be well....that bears a resemblance to a rapier...but lacks a lot in the area of real accuracy. also, the winglets you've modeled go on a WC2 rapier, not a WC1 rapier.

comparing to your capital ships, i would definately have to say that your fighters need a lot of work. the second set of guns up front go under the canard things (which are the incorrect shape) the wing's don't round like you've got them doing (or if they did it'd only be a slight bit ont he leading/trailing edges). also, the wings dont curve like a jalthis wings. they're straight. also, the main fueslage is a slight bit wider. the forward canard deals have 2 pieces which make them up as well. the textures could do with some work as well.

its a good feeler mesh, but could definately do with a bit of work to get to a point i would call 'finished' and 'useable' for a mod. i hesitate to do this, but if you need any help (nothing large scale) just ask, and i'll be more than happy to when i get a free minute.

Well I made a low-poly(about 1800 vertices) wing commander 1 rapier a while back which I also used in an animation and if you like you could use it.

Although it's only a low-poly model I tried to make it as accurate as the blueprints from claw-marks would allow. So if you aim for more details, at least the proportions are right and you could maybe use it as basis for a more detailed one. Just tell me if i should mail you the model.

Atekimogus

Atekimogus, I just realized that you have the cockpit on that Rapier *exactly* correct. If you look at the internal cockpit views and compare them to the external design of your Rapier, they precisely match up! Awesome job! :)

ok, here's the reworked version, it should be closer to the desired look:

Attachments

• Rapierfront.jpg
    Rapierfront.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Rapierbehind.jpg
    Rapierbehind.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 161
Atekimogus, I just realized that you have the cockpit on that Rapier *exactly* correct. If you look at the internal cockpit views and compare them to the external design of your Rapier, they precisely match up! Awesome job!

Thanks for noticing this little detail, the cockpit was a bitch to work on :)

@ Chevieblazer Hm, no problem but but most of the vertices are used for the rather detailed and perfectly round weapons and for the cockpit, the ship itself doesn't have so many vertices, so how many vertices are reasonable? I am sure I could downsize the details.

P.S But I do understand if you prefer to use selfmade models :)

shapin up nicely. the wings angle down about 4-6 degrees down (when you look at it from the side) and also when you look at it from the front. the front canards are still in correct. i've attached a pic illustrating the areas i'm mentioning.

and even if you're building from the sprites, the only differences are the wings don't angle down, and there is no angle on the top of the engines. and the thrust nozzles are slightly larger.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• rapier_fixes.jpg
    rapier_fixes.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 252
i'm not quite getting your comment on the engine's angles. they are angled, only the blades in the intakes a straight

i'll see to the guns and carnards

if you look at it from the front, the tops of the engine intakes angle like, 2 - 3 degrees. in the sprites, it doesn't. its just flat.

well, you're still missing the wings angle down bit, and the shot is a bit dark as well. the textures really could do with some work. more narrow panel lines, less bevel and emboss as well.

the biggest could be a few hundred klicks in each direction, but to be honest i'm not sure. nexus is not like homeworld, the action is fairly concentrated.
but fighters are so small all you'll see from a general perspective is their engine trails

if the map is 1024x1024, you will be able to do a crapload of detail in them, also...well, damn. i need to just do a tutorial.

Back