Wing Commander Successor

would have love to seen or play a game starlancer based which lead to freelancer...seeing the western alliance losing on all front against the eastern coalition...

That wouldn't be a good game. If you wanna lose the war, just suck a lot of during the first quarter of Starlancer's campaign.

Those several different endings would have completely negated the outcome of the war which was established in the intro to Freelancer. You could say the same thing about WC3/4, but I honestly don't think a Starlancer-Freelancer bridge would work out well. I don't know of many games where you must lose to win. I suppose the successful launch of the sleeper ships could have been a "victory." Heck, the intro was enough information for me.

agreed
but I would like to see what other alternative endings that could happen
ie would the western alliance won against the coalition
ie what would happen if all 5 sleeper ships were destroyed
there are so many possibilites so I always like to see what might happen

oh i would agree with the earlier statements, the freespace series has one of the best gameplay i have come across i sometimes wonder why origin/ea never consider using that for their wing commander games, but then i suppose they never thought about it

Yeah, imagine how great Freelancer would have been then .

Could you ask for any more?

Dahan said:
oh i would agree with the earlier statements, the freespace series has one of the best gameplay i have come across i sometimes wonder why origin/ea never consider using that for their wing commander games, but then i suppose they never thought about it
Maybe they never thought about it, because they already had their own, far better engine. Remember, just because you think FS had better gameplay doesn't mean that the world agrees - and if you compare WC sales with FS sales, you'll quickly understand that in fact, everyone disagrees with you :p.

Although I'm not privy to all their design meetings, I can say with reletive certainty that Origin never considered travelling to the future to take their failed competitors lesser engine.

Dahan said:

Freespace was made after Wing Commander. I honestly don't understand what is so amazing about the Freespace engine to you. I love that series and I don't get it. You know, Volition did get some ideas from Origin, i.e. the power management feature.

d3r3k said:
Freespace was made after Wing Commander. I honestly don't understand what is so amazing about the Freespace engine to you. I love that series and I don't get it. You know, Volition did get some ideas from Origin, i.e. the power management feature.
No, I'm pretty sure both Volition and Origin got that one from LucasArts - X-Wing was there first.

Oh, shoot. Yeah, you're right. Well, the basic fact Freespace is a space combat simulation goes back to Wing Commander. WC1 got that whole genre started. FS brought it full circle to an unceremonius end.

Hmm thanks for everyone's opinion/feeback.
Has there been a thread or poll of the top 5 or 10 flight sims game worthy of Wing Commander game or related??

I loved SWoTL...man, soooooooo many hours devoted to that game. Same with Red Baron; huzzah for the Sopwith Camel! :)

I enjoyed SWoN, too, and I need to go back and finish it. Guess I should start over from the beginning since it's been so long...

Back