Wing Commander, Star Trek, Star wars.....

Ripper

Peace Through Superior Firepower
Did you notice... In Wing Commander, there's no such thing as transporters. You use a shuttle to get from place to place. Or a ship of some kind, anyway. In Star Wars, Luke mentions teleportation to C-3PO, but you never see it. You have to get around in a ship of some kind. In Star Trek, there are transporters AND shuttles. With the exception of Star Wars, ("a galaxy far, far away") all the space stuff is based on Earth technology. And the idea of transporters came about in the '50's. The Fly. Pretty cool, huh?:D

In Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry decided to have teleportation (transporters) becaue it made it easier to write and shoot the show--number one, he felt it would take too much work to shoot shuttle sequences every single time the crew left the Enterprise, and number two, the ability to instantly get in and out of a location allowed for more flexibility in the writing.

Wing Commander, however, is a war story, and transporters are either excessively powerful (if they can beam through phase shields) or else nearly useless (if they can't beam through shields) in WC-type combat situations. If the former, then you would have Marines beaming in by the platoonful for boarding operations, making it too much easier to take over capships. If the latter, then you pretty much wouldn't be using the transporters for anything dramatic--only for mundane stuff outside of combat.

Originally posted by Ripper
Did you notice... In Wing Commander, there's no such thing as transporters. You use a shuttle to get from place to place. Or a ship of some kind, anyway. In Star Wars, Luke mentions teleportation to C-3PO, but you never see it. You have to get around in a ship of some kind. In Star Trek, there are transporters AND shuttles. With the exception of Star Wars, ("a galaxy far, far away") all the space stuff is based on Earth technology. And the idea of transporters came about in the '50's. The Fly. Pretty cool, huh?:D

there is a point somewhere in here, i'm sure, but i'm having a hard time finding it. perhaps you would be so kind as to point it out?

I'm a Singaporean, so I have no idea what those eggs are, but if they're anything like century eggs, ewwwww!

Originally posted by dacis2
I'm a Singaporean, so I have no idea what those eggs are, but if they're anything like century eggs, ewwwww!

A Deviled Egg is quite nice, and you don't have to let your dog bury it in the back yard first, either.

How about the similarities the way they blow things up? The end of HOTT came straight out of Star Wars, right down to having Luke Skywalker, for example.

Re: Re: Wing Commander, Star Trek, Star Wars.....

Originally posted by Aries
there is a point somewhere in here, i'm sure, but i'm having a hard time finding it. perhaps you would be so kind as to point it out?

Maybe.;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well, I'm a regular human, so I don't know what a century egg is.

I'm not sure what you guys are getting at, but a baloot(sp?) is a near term duck egg that's boiled, rumored to get buried for an unspecified time... and is a delicacy in the P.I. (That's Phillipine Islands for all y'all non worldly types.) El Yucko Supremo. I never tried one, and I'm not sure if there's a high enough amount to get me to.:D

El Yucko Supremo. I never tried one, and I'm not sure if there's a high enough amount to get me to.:D

No arguement here. They could make for an interesting throw at a neighbors house though, what with the "aging" and all.

Re: Re: Wing Commander, Star Trek, Star Wars.....

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
How about the similarities the way they blow things up? The end of HOTT came straight out of Star Wars, right down to having Luke Skywalker, for example.

Philip is right :D

[EDIT]

And on a more serious note: In WC3 the Director's Cut, the Emperor was old and pasty and white underneath his fur, Prince Thrakhath ACTUALLY wore a helmet and respirator underneath his fur, and Blair was really Thrakhath's son, separated at birth

Blairrr.... I am your fah-ther...

In Star Wars, Luke mentions teleportation to C-3PO, but you never see it. You have to get around in a ship of some kind.

Here's what happen in A New Hope

C-3PO: Is there anything I can do?
Luke: Not unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock.

He didn't mean that there were Transporter systems in the Star Wars Universe, but that if C-3PO could somehow teleport him of Tatooine, impling that it would be some form of magic.

Re: Re: Re: Wing Commander, Star Trek, Star Wars.....

Originally posted by redwolf
And on a more serious note: In WC3 the Director's Cut, the Emperor was old and pasty and white underneath his fur, Prince Thrakhath ACTUALLY wore a helmet and respirator underneath his fur, and Blair was really Thrakhath's son, separated at birth

Blairrr.... I am your fah-ther...

No, no, you got it wrong. It's Tolwyn you're thinking of. :)

I'm not sure what you guys are getting at, but a baloot(sp?) is a near term duck egg that's boiled, rumored to get buried for an unspecified time... and is a delicacy in the P.I. (That's Phillipine Islands for all y'all non worldly types.) El Yucko Supremo. I never tried one, and I'm not sure if there's a high enough amount to get me to.:D

actually, its a delicacy in China too, they put it in porridge

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wing Commander, Star Trek, Star Wars.....

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
No, no, you got it wrong. It's Tolwyn you're thinking of. :)

Perhaps....

Ahh what the hell, Philip, you're right! (btw what's happened to the signature?) :(

Back