Wing Commander Spotted In The Daily Poll (October 20, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
ZFGokuSSJ1 found our favorite series in today's IMDB Poll. They're jumping on the same bandwagon that Hades referred to yesterday. Numerous high profile game-movies are pitted against eachother, and the winner receives the loser title. Fortunately Wing Commander is far from the lead with just a few percentage points, next to half a dozen other movies based on games that were actually pretty good. "Super Mario Bros" is currently getting the most votes. You can cast your ballot here.

--
Original update published on October 20, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets be realistic... The movie was bad. You can be a WC fan and admit the movie was bad.
It won't kill you or be the end of the world.

You can be a WC fan and think whatever you want - you don't have to like or dislike anything based on how cool you think it'll make you seem at a message board.

It wouldn't kill you to think the WC movie is bad, but understand that thousands of fans think it's great too.

ChrisReid said:
It wouldn't kill you to think the WC movie is bad, but understand that thousands of fans think it's great too.

On pure technical points, the movie was flawed. In any attempt to fit in the Wing Commander universe, the movie failed horribly. In things like character development and plot progression, the movie failed horribly. Quite frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a MST3K of it.

Quite frankly, I'm still surprised random trolls still troll the same incorrect assertions that we shot down six years ago.

There are far worse movies then WC. Its just that many people just forget about them while it is chic to bash game adaption movies. The WC movie had a certain style in mind - if you don't like that style its your problem - it doesn't make it a bad movie. My only complaint is that it was too hollow. Too bad we will never see the full movie with the traitor plot. Its probably exactly what is missing.

On pure technical points, the movie was flawed. In any attempt to fit in the Wing Commander universe, the movie failed horribly. In things like character development and plot progression, the movie failed horribly. Quite frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a MST3K of it.

Eh, I half agree with you about the technical aspects - I'd be wrong to claim that the movie-as-released worked properly as a story (and I'd be the far worse internet wrong if I were to claim the pre-edited version was some kind of secret -- the movie as made was just flawed from a storytelling perspective.)

That said, I completely disagree with your first assertion - do you want to argue about it, or are you just some random weirdo who doesn't actually have anything of substance to say and won't show up here again?

Unregistered, you're trying to change the minds of a couple of Wing Commander cosplayers here.

I'm not sure what that is.

I am sure what that is, but haven't any idea what it has to do with the subject, save perhaps a cheap ad hominem jab used to substitute for a lack of anything significant to contribute to the thread.

ChrisReid said:
Quite frankly, I'm still surprised random trolls still troll the same incorrect assertions that we shot down six years ago.

So anyone that disagrees with you HAS to be a troll, yes?

wow, I didn't know you thought of yourself as god...

Bandit LOAF said:
Eh, I half agree with you about the technical aspects - I'd be wrong to claim that the movie-as-released worked properly as a story (and I'd be the far worse internet wrong if I were to claim the pre-edited version was some kind of secret -- the movie as made was just flawed from a storytelling perspective.)

That said, I completely disagree with your first assertion - do you want to argue about it, or are you just some random weirdo who doesn't actually have anything of substance to say and won't show up here again?

I am willing to debate, reasonably, and civilly on the first assertation. The movie's ability to fit into the Wing Commander canon shouldn't be debated. The two are as related to eachother as "Batman : Year One" is related to "Batman Begins". They use a lot of similar elements, same character names, gizmos that are recongizable in both, but to claim they share the exact same universe is a stretch.

ChrisReid said:

Defenses of those that dislike Criticism.

#4) 4) Proclaim it’s popular, thus it MUST be good: Popularity can sometimes indicate quality, but remember, take ratings with a serious grain of salt. The idea that something is ‘popular’ merely means that X-number of people find it amusing or entertaining. I must admit that I myself find some things like watching a guy getting hit in the groin is hilarious as heck, but that doesn’t mean a show that showcases nothing but people getting hit in the groin is the most well-written entertainment ever. It just means it appeals to the biggest amount to get the highest X-number. In fact, recently we’ve seen on television an inverse relationship in X-number of viewers and quality.

I am willing to debate, reasonably, and civilly on the first assertation. The movie's ability to fit into the Wing Commander canon shouldn't be debated. The two are as related to eachother as "Batman : Year One" is related to "Batman Begins". They use a lot of similar elements, same character names, gizmos that are recongizable in both, but to claim they share the exact same universe is a stretch.

If you're willing to debate reasonably, then do so instead of going on about Batman. Batman has absolutely nothing to do with Wing Commander.

Bandit LOAF said:
If you're willing to debate reasonably, then do so instead of going on about Batman. Batman has absolutely nothing to do with Wing Commander.

It was a comparison using a character which has been in several mediums, much as Wing Commander had several mediums, in which the different mediums have different levels of continuity and canon. It was a valid comparison.

I don't think it is - it's an analogy that you've used because it's popular and easy rather than because Batman is in any way like Wing Commander. I would also argue that it is a flawed example on its face.

Comic books have a long (and proud) tradition of retelling their characters' origin in different ways -- to the point that people cite them as an example of 'modern mythology'. They also frequently deal with this fact 'in universe' in an even more blatant way than Wing Commander fans retcon their movie -- things like the Crisis on Infinite Earths or the concept of "hypertime". They also have very active editors who will specifically and formally add and remove various elements from the "continuity" of eachother. Someone well versed in DC lore (ie, not LOAF) can tell you exeactly which stories are and are not of which continuity.

"Harder" science fiction, though, doesn't do this... and I would have trouble arguing that Wing Commander as a franchise is more akin to a superhero movie than a media-derived science fiction series. Series' like Star Trek and Star Wars (the later of which, unquestionably it has always been Wing Commander's goal to emulate) go out of their way to portray a single, unified continuity. While they all have 'non canon' licensed material (novels, comics, action figure packaging), it is held to an entirely different standard than comic book derived material -- a strict standard that requires it to comply with the existing continuity (so, then, a Star Trek novel published in 1995 has to fit with every Star Trek episode shown before that time - it's 'non canon' because Paramount does not promise to make any effort to prevent future Star Trek episodes from contradicting it. In that sense it is entirely unrelated to our analogy.)

In these examples, few would ever claim that a movie written and directed by George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry wasn't part of the continuity because of some suggested contradiction... and yet both series creators have gone on to direct movies that were very different from the initial source material. Apply that standard to Chris Roberts and Wing Commander - not the wholly arbitrary one of a superhero film written and directed by no one invovled in the creation of its character.

Unregistered said:
So anyone that disagrees with you HAS to be a troll, yes?

wow, I didn't know you thought of yourself as god...

Well, I may or may not, but that's completely irrelevant to the thread here. It's quite apparent that you're a random internet troll and not anyone interested in using a set of internet forums for real discussion.

personally. i thought the movie was great and at the time i had never played WC1 before. now that i have i do see that it is different but i can also see how it can still fit into the same universe. even now, whenever i watch the movie i don't think it's a bad movie, i think it's quite good.

Why do people hate Super Mario Bros so much, I quite liked that film! Its a lot of fun!

Unregistered said:
Why do people hate Super Mario Bros so much, I quite liked that film! Its a lot of fun!

There was so much weird stuff in it. The Goombas went from evil mushrooms to dinosaur henchmen. And then they took the opportunity to take the main dragon-like character, Bowser, and simply have him be Dennis Hopper with his eyebrows shaved off. The weird gooky-gook cheese-slime on lots of the environments was ugly, and the weird alternative world had no resemblance to the mushroom kingdom at all.

Back