Wing Commander Ship Models

TonyG2

Spaceman
OK asking for a favour here and in the circumstances, please feel free to tell me to XXXX off…

You may have seen the occasional post from a few of us who like to build paper – yes paper – models of various sf subjects.

Briefly, by getting hold of a decent textured but low poly 3D mesh it is possible to process the file in various graphics software to produce a 2D printable “unfolded” version. Which you print off, cut out and assemble.

So who out there would like a real, physical 3D model of their fave Wing Co ship or fighter?

There are a few available now including the Piranha, Hellcat, Arrow and Thunderbolt. I’ve also found a Hades class from WCP Secret Ops and I’ve personally “unfolded” a Seahawk SWACS ship.

So far as I am aware, all these meshes were obtained from Tolwyns Wing Commander 3D site. And as far as I am aware, full credit has (rightly so) been given. In any event, THANK YOU…

I’ve a Bearcat, Dragon, Behemoth and TCS Victory in the pipeline (it’s a very loooong pipeline I should say) but may have something workable in a few months. … Maybe!

Some of the meshes are too good….i.e. the unfolding software can’t cope. An example is Tolwyn’s Tallahassee. Just too many Polygons. Other meshes such as the Tigers Claw and Midway will unfold but the software futzes up the textures. As for the Vesuvias? Don’t ask!!!

OK to the point. I actually prefer cap ships to fighters. Family trait – except for my airforce father but don’t get me started!. And I’m trying to find usable meshes of:

TCS Sheffield
TCS Tallahassee
TCS Savannah
Jutland Class
Lexington Class etc as well as a:
Fralthi II

Anyone know of usable meshes – preferable in 3DS, COB or VRML format (those work best with the unfolding software) to provide a basis for some physical models?

If they proved doable I know someone who might be able to host the unfolded files for download.

Well... sure... it's... very, very remotely possible... but it's a weird thing to arbitrarily call a ship that has no other established name or class. There's not really a need for a class name that describes a group of one ship - just call it the Andromache... or if you need to refer to it in some sort of in-universe Joan's-setting, Andromache-type.

Also, it's only mentioned in passing in a novel, so there's no design upon which to base a 3D model.

savannahs aside, wasn't there a french site that had some printable models? try looking in the news search in the CIC

What can I say guys

(1) have a look on the menu of sites at the left of the main CIC screen. Theres a link there to marc's 4 paper model fighters.

(2) The Savanah Class may not be canon but its clearly identified as a Savanah Class in the Joans listings at the Tactics website. Not to mention a superb set of graphics for this Talahassee based cruiser. Again, the link is on the left of the main CIC page.

(3) I'm currently awaiting confirmation from a contact who has excess webspace and if I can agree the deal, he will make the SWACS model available on his site. Note if all goes well there will be a jpeg version and one in .pdo. If you aren't familiar with this, .pdo referes to pepakura designer. Its the "unfolding" software.

The beauty of a .pdo file is that you can use Pepakura to resize the model to any specifc scale. In theory, if you want a 2 foot long Seahawk, it could be done.....

Will keep you advised of progress on this and the Behemoth (next on my "must finish this when i get some time" list) When done it should be over a foot long.

psych(the creator of fleet tactics) stated himself that he took a few liberties with the ship class names and such and that they shouldn't be used as basis of argument thus.

originally posted by psych
And if any newbie tries to argue on any internet forum "yer wrong LOAF, my (insert lame argument here) is right because Fleet Tactics has specifically said that..(insert generic content)...", I do not claim responsibility for any accusations that imply that I was the influence to your assclownery.

Savannah is not an official class name. And the pictures of it are just an artists interpretation of what an Andromache type light cruiser mentioned in False colors might look like.

Like I said. It may not be a canon design. So far I've seen nothing else that claims to be this ship.

Frankly, unless it appears as a design in the official games, then I don't much care.

The Savanah design from the tactics site is a sweet ship regardless of provenance and when it comes to attempting to build a physical model, I'll go for a design that looks good over canon every time.

So (stand by for flames ;) ) I'll say here and now that I really don't like the game version of the Bengal Class..... :eek:

its nearly as a bad a design as the movie version :D . There is no tactical operational practicality in fighter launch and retreive from the front of the ship. Whether its modern carrier design or Battlestar Galactica, or Wing Co's Midway, the practicality is launch from the fore deck or forward launch tubes and recovery aft in order to maintain constant operational tempo.

Anyway this is getting off topic. I want to build one of these (savanah etc) not just see them on screen. An actual model in my display cabinet....

So again, anyone know of available meshes?

Great! Give me an appropriate address and I'll e mail the files. I'm making some minor amendmemts to the .pdo file to make construction easier. My graphics ability is limited so no high tech instructions. Fortunately, the SWACS is pretty simple and followsa logical build sequence.

Now that's some happy developments. And I do agree, the savannah is pretty and deserves a paper model, regardless of its canon status.

Back