Wing Commander: Secret Missions 1 & 2 Question.

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.
I've got Wing Commander The Kilrathi Saga and the secret missions addons. I also have an original copy of Wing Commander 1. I was wondering if it is possible to some how convert the Kilrathi Saga addons to work with the original version? (I wish to play them with the old sound they were created with on my old 286). Would this be an illegal act? If so is my only option to find original copies of Secret missions 1 and 2?
Thanks for your time.

I'm reasonably sure those Kilrathi Saga-add-ons were designed specifically for KS. Go dig up the old thingies. :) (I tried, and somehow now find myself with the original 5½-inch floppies, which, with my hardware, can't quite be accessed. I recommend you try finding the add-ons on a different medium.)

There is no way that I know of to use mix the addons and games (about all and every file seems to be different)

I take it downloading the older versions would be piracy even though I have the free addons with Kilrathi Saga? (I'm just checking to make sure it's not that's all)

The KSaga files, with the exception of the executables, are fully compatible with the original game (even though they look different). However, without the correct executables you definitely won't be able to get anywhere - the game will crash the moment you encounter one of the ships that first appeared in SM1/SM2. Been there, tried that ;).

eBay tends to have the expansion campaigns for the original two games on auction periodically. I don't think it would be to expensive or hard to get them from there.

As for downloading the original add-ons.. Seeing they cost a sum of money when they came out, downloading them off the internet doesn't seem to be a legit way to get them.

Unfortunately true. You're just going to have to find them (I actually have a copy of the original WCI/SM1/SM2 on CD - if I felt like spelunking through my collection, I'd sell it to ya ;) Point being, they exist ...). However, assuming you can find a download for the original versions, I highly doubt Origin's going to breathe down your neck about it.

Unlike the Kilrathi Saga versions of Secret Missions and Secret Ops, the original versions did not come with the games, or have a free-to-download option. I seem to remember them being sold together (SM 1&2, and SO 1&2) for around 25 bucks, back in the early 90s. There are also the deluxe editions of WC1 and 2 that had the add-ons, and those were originally up to around 75 bucks. Therefore, downloading the original add-ons would be no different then downloading the original games themselves.

Luckily, eBay has an abundance of the original 2 WC games and their add-ons.

Quarto said:
The KSaga files, with the exception of the executables, are fully compatible with the original game (even though they look different). However, without the correct executables you definitely won't be able to get anywhere - the game will crash the moment you encounter one of the ships that first appeared in SM1/SM2. Been there, tried that ;).

Not in my experiments. I tried to substitude some files in order to fix stuff like the Thrakath escape in SO1 (the fiction always seems to break there at some time in the dialogue) and it always crashed.

Back