Wing Commander (Saga) Evolution-Shoots

Wait, that's not evolution, that's intelligent design!

Now seriously, good stuff.

I like the colors of WC3... It's cool that the newest model uses a similar color scheme.

I got a new one :)

This time it is the ranger-class. I admit, the WC4-Variant is actually labeled as a concordia-class, but as you know it is the same model lke in WC3, so don't let's discuss this dead horse again :) )

Sorry for the bad quality of the WC4-Variant (including the obvious mesh-error on the left front part) that's WC4 live.

evolution_ranger.jpg

Actually if I had textured that model I would have kept the painting sheme as close as possible to the original. It's the Victory after all.. But someone else did it this time so :p

Tolwyn said:
heh? You should take a look at the model geometry... it is weird, to say the least. Like the hole in the TCS Lexington in-game model ;)

Btw, the WC4 mesh was the first one to be incorporated into the FS2 engine. This was almost three years ago!
About the strange Geometry Tolwyn, can you show us a wireframe to show us the strange geometery.
Also I find it interesting that the Old WC Saga model looks true to the WC3 version while the New one looks like the Lady Lex

bad geometry = intersecting verticles, etc

AND: take a closer look at the TCS Lexington. I know, it is hard to believe, but actually there is a hole in the model :confused:

hmm... I had no reference pictures as I textured this baby. I would do a few things different this time, but hey. Call this artistic freedom :D

Yeah, don't you dare start doing a fourth model, this model is 100% complete, including 4 correct LOD's (only the hangar is missing. @Lynx *hint hint* ) So have mercy with poor little starman :D

BTW, here are some more. Now I need first a few more shoots from WC3 and 4.

evolution_bhantkara.jpg

evolution_kcorvette.jpg

evolution_k_trans.jpg

Finally to come : The sheffield, the confed-transport, and maybe both kilrathi-destroyer. Maybe, because the final results are currently a secret ;)

Tolwyn said:
bad geometry = intersecting verticles, etc

AND: take a closer look at the TCS Lexington. I know, it is hard to believe, but actually there is a hole in the model :confused:

hmm... I had no reference pictures as I textured this baby. I would do a few things different this time, but hey. Call this artistic freedom :D
I was talking about the colours and the fact that the Engine scoops on the Old Saga one are flat and rectangular and the ones on the Lexington are more square like, just like the one on the new model. Maybe however, Its just the Angle of the picture. I am probably wrong but PLEASE dont ask me to sit on your fist like psych did. I have food poisoning

The difference is simple. What you see now on the ranger-class, is the most actual
texture we use for the confed-bussard-collectors.

The color scheme/timeline thing however is not that relevant. WC2 takes place on a similar timeline and it has totally different schemes. In fact, by the looks of the Victory, the blue and gray is not new.

It's is, however. WC2 takes palce in 2665, WC3 in 2669. And there was BoT, too. Many ships and fighters were destroyed there, and most models produced after the war were either new or old designs that were picked up again and modified, and many capships would have spent time in fleet repair yards. So there are plenty of possibilities for a new paintjob. I think that there are older ships in WC3 that still fly with older fleet green, becaue I don't thin the confeds immedeatly pll every ship from the front to repaint it after they invent a new color style. :p

And of course it looks better if WCSaga has a defined color style for the ships rather than a few different styles wildly mixed together.

powell99 said:
I was talking about the colours and the fact that the Engine scoops on the Old Saga one are flat and rectangular and the ones on the Lexington are more square like, just like the one on the new model. Maybe however, Its just the Angle of the picture. I am probably wrong but PLEASE dont ask me to sit on your fist like psych did. I have food poisoning

yes, very clever, powell. *sarcastic* Ate any good books lately?

Powell, don't be a smartass.

Great job graphically upgrading these models. I'm looking forward to blowing them to bits with a Longbow. :)

unlike WC3, where you can wipe out a whole kilrathi-fleet with a single longbow, we will teach you the better when playing WC-Saga :D That's were we talking about AA-Fire, so <insert Joda-Voice here> "Scared you will be" :D

not to mention that it takes multiple torpedo hits to take down a capital ship, except such rust buckets as Caernaven. :D a Kilrathi carrier can take 5-6 torpedo hits. :p

Tolwyn said:
not to mention that it takes multiple torpedo hits to take down a capital ship, except such rust buckets as Caernaven. :D a Kilrathi carrier can take 5-6 torpedo hits. :p

You guys are taking the novel approach? Damn. ;)

About the hole in the Lexington model in WC4: I noticed that many models in WC4 has a hole in the geometry somewhere. I dunno why. Maybe the guys at origin where sloppy with the models. But it 's interesting anyway.

Lynx said:
About the hole in the Lexington model in WC4: I noticed that many models in WC4 has a hole in the geometry somewhere. I dunno why. Maybe the guys at origin where sloppy with the models. But it 's interesting anyway.
Take a look at the bug reports in the WC4 post-mortem document - as far as the CIC Archive docs go, the WC4 post-mortem is certainly one of the most dull-and-yet-incredibly-interesting documents, and it explains a bit about the model holes (or rather, explains that they've tried their best to get it all fixed, and it's as good as it gets).

Lynx said:
I may not be a 3d artist but I find the fact that the ships have holes very interesting. My theory (As mentioned earlier I know nothing on the topic) is that it might have something to do with thier modeling software maybe they had to many polys or something

Back