Wing Commander RPG using Open Source engines

Chicken

Spaceman
I've decided to put my planned HW2 mod in storage for now, because I think it's time to reveal my secret intent:

Creating a Wing Commander RPG in the style of old games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 using an open source engine like Sphere or Toolkit. Why?

It's one of my nagging daydreams that is coming close to reality!

Because I love the old SNES RPGs, but the idea of creating a Wing Commander RPG is very unusual but something that would be cool to pursue. Unlike many RPG makers using cracks *ahem*, I wanted to use legitimate sources and ones that are far more powerful, being able to support 16, 24 and 32 bit color is much better than 256.

So far, I've been planning out the game, but no actual work has started yet on the game because I'm debating whether to use Sphere (Javascript) or Toolkit, but that's why I'm here. Both engines have their merits and drawbacks, but also their good points too.

So, any thoughts or opinions on this?

I want to know if people would prefer an RPG in the WC2 or WC3 era for a first step. I've every intention of turning this into my pet project for a long while.

I don't quite understand what your suggesting, an RPG with a group of people? How exactly does that work in the WCU?

I guess I should clarify the problem first:

Like I said earlier, I want to create a Wing Commander that's similar in nature to console RPGs that many people my age played on the Super Nintendo, but taking place in the WCU.

What can those kits do? Text only? 'Zelda Style'? Point and Click? You migth also want to look for the Z-MACHINE which is a semi-standard for text adventures-

Hmm, I've experimented with rpg maker too, which isn't too bad - tell me, how are u planning out this RPG, I'm not that familiar with sphere or the rpg toolkit so can't really say which would be better. Have you got any kind of story for this? More importantly, what kind of characters are u planning, might seem odd having them attack with "real" broadswords ;)

I'm not sure about the time frame, but somewhere between WC2-WC3, taking place in Gemini Sector. However, this is kind of sketchy because without a good timeframe first, then I don't know where to start with the art and style of the game. Characters are undergoing development, your going to have folks like Confed marines, pilots, mercs, privateers, etc. I'm also planning on adding some Kilrathi and Firekkan characters to give more depth.

I believe the Kilrathi would use physical attacks in addition to guns, but using a broad sword when you got an energy gun? I don't think so.

Back