Wing Commander (Resurrection)

I personally, when a movie gets a bit disappointing, I try to remedy my perception of the story by reading the novelization.

It worked when I watched the first Mission Impossible and Wing Commander Movie. Oddly enough, Star Trek novelizations don't go much to my liking. I've still read the novelizations of Generations and Undiscovered Country.

Originally posted by LeHah
Any movie that has the phrase "Santa Claus in a wheelchair" is better off missed.
IMO any movie with Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder (klepto or not) has at least their presence as a redeeming quality. :)

lol

you people are all over the place with the opinion on the Star Trek movies. They did a very good job on First Contact and Insurrection. I don't follow that bullcrap with "evens are good, odds bad." I go with my own opinion, I believe 1 was bad, but the Director's Cut of 1 was very well done, and how the movie should be. 2 of course is a classic, can't beat that, great acting, great direction, and above all else great cast. 3 Was okay, just was boring. 4 was very good, a nice comic relief to the storyline, and some good special effects. 5 TERRBILE why? Shatner can not direct, and he can't write books, and besides he doesn't even like Star Trek, he didn't even put his heart into that movie. Bad effects, dumb villian it just went against what Star Trek was about. 6 was good, they kind of copied off of 2 with Chang being a similiar villian to Kahn with his Shakespeare, but all and all it was done well. Generations was a very good first movie for the Generation crew because, it introduced a great villian and idea, and a good way to end Kirk's life, but I don't understand how every company to end a persons role in the movie is to kill them off? You notice that in almost EVERY movie. First Contact was a great villian to take control with, and a very dangerous one I am glad they brought the Borg back for a fight, another great
back-in-time movie. Insurrection was good, action packed, good

As for Nemisis (finally they thought of a title, and sorry if I spelled it wrong.) I believe that this will be a good storyline, I like how they are finally getting the Romulans back into it as they haven't liked the human for the longest time.

Nafé

Re: lol

Originally posted by Naféasonto
I don't follow that bullcrap with "evens are good, odds bad."
I believe 1 was bad
2 of course is a classic, can't beat that, great acting, great direction, and above all else great cast.
3 Was okay, just was boring.
4 was very good
5 TERRBILE
6 was good
Nafé

As everyone says: "evens are good, odds bad". :D

I know what you meant, but you kinda like confirmed that "bullcrap thing". ;)

Evens are good, Odds aren't as good. The odds are not bad, they just aren't superior to the evens. 1 was meant to be a series, that's why it sucked. 2 was awesome. 3 was ok, but it certainly was very powerful. 4 was definately good. 5 had a lot of character development, but wasn't that good. 6 was awesome. EVENS ARE GOOD, ODDS AREN'T AS GOOD.

Another correlation: stuff blowing up = good, stuff not blowing up = not good.

1 (not good): they digitized a few pansy Klingon battlecruisers... and shot a rock. yay.
2 (good): lets see... planetwide terraforming coolness, big fight between Enterprise and Whatever in the nebula, big selfdestruct scene, most memorable badguy of all Trek, considered the ultimate Classic Movie by many.
3 (not good): killed a few characters, resurrected a few more, Spock now has a reason to be humorous. Selfdestructed the Enterprise which didnt even manage to eliminate half the saucer section, and if someone had been in control of the ship from Engineering it may have even survived.
4 (good): okay, nothing blew up but this was all about comic relief. Ninja-Spock and all. And those "cute whales"
5 (not good) slowish, mystic, and they had to try twice to kill the "god" being. First time with a photon torpedo that I hope was set to "pitifully low" (if that was full power I have no respect for whoever builds those things) and the second time was with the wingblasters on a Bird o' Prey. Only truly cool part of the movie - get to see a master handle one of those beauties.
6 (good) lessee here... I remember the cloaking thing, cloaking thing blowing up, a bit of ultraviolence, and lessee... they managed to find an excuse to detonate an entire *PLANET* here. Not my personal fave but hey, people like it.
First Contact: some Borg bite it in the beginning, somewhat unimpressive. Dont remember the majority of the movie.
Insurrection, Generations: havent seen although my girlfriend is a trekkie. Not feeling like Im missing much.

Its "just" coincidence that the things blowing up happen every other movie, no?

Ehh, I'm tired of this 'even/odd' crap.

Star Trek: The Motion picture was a great movie... it's the only real *Star Trek* movie. The characters act like they did in the show. This isn't necessarily a criticism of the later movies: the 'movie personas' of Kirk/Spock/etc. made for entertaining films. But it wasn't the same as the original series.

Wrath of Kahn is a classic, blah blah blah, etc. Nothing to say here.

Star Trek III was allright... if they'd cut down the very ending bit just a little it'd be a classic in the same vein as Star Trek II. The character interaction and the story is very good up until they leave Genesis.

Star Trek IV is *only* good in the context of II and III. If you're not familiar with the characters, it's just a cheap, odd comedy.

Five starts off kind of good (bland visuals, though) and really goes downhill. THe 'lets make Star Trek kind of funny since 4 was so succesful!' thing is painfully obvious. The Enterprise being broken was dumb -- she's like a cast member. Having all the crew 'join' Sybok was the worst idea since a car made out of whipped cream. Has some fun quotes, though.

Frankly, I didn't like six at all... there wasn't any character interaction, the plot made no sense (why does Spock suddenly have a protege who's really a traitor? You can't fire phasers on the Enterprise?), the reference in the title was *pained*, the lame jokes were... lame, and the entire prison sequence was... really dumb. Worth it only for the absolute last scene of the crew warping away for the last time.

[rant] i would concider myself to be a bit of "trekkie" although i hardly watch the shows anymore, (got voyager and enterprise to thank for that), still i own all the movies and I agree with some of you guys points but anyways heres my opinion...

Selfdestructed the Enterprise which didnt even manage to eliminate half the saucer section, and if someone had been in control of the ship from Engineering it may have even survived.

The reason why the self destruct doesn't vapourise the whole ship is actually because of gene roddenbury (spelling), he was upset about having the enterprise destroyed and suggested that only the saucer should be totally destroyed. also why destory all the hull of the enterprise, when you can simply just detonate all the major systems and leave a very damaged hull which is of very little use to anyone... also the engine core has been fried... no one are gonna save the enterprise in engineering as they are already dead due to the massive hull breaches across the hull...

The motion picture in my opinion was a very good film, maybe a little slow in parts, but the Enterprise has never been shown in a film as well as it was in this since.

The Wrath of kahn was great, also noticable for the first federation cruiser shown in star trek which wern't a constitution.

I also liked Star Trek three but i also agree that the ending was just too slow...

I liked star trek four, but it isn't really star trek in the purest sence...

Star trek V: balls (as for shatner he cant direct but he has wrote a couple of decent books, try "the return" for example, plus NO-ONE sings quite like him :D)

Star Trek Six is in my opinion the second best star trek film, and also had the second best cap-ship battle seen in motion picture history...
[/rant]

Originally posted by Marcml30
IMO any movie with Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder (klepto or not) has at least their presence as a redeeming quality.

With the exception of "Heartbreakers", Weaver hasn't made a decent movie in a long while.

Winona Ryder, though she'd definitely "give a dog a bone", isn't in a lot of good non-Burton films.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Frankly, I didn't like six at all... there wasn't any character interaction, the plot made no sense (why does Spock suddenly have a protege who's really a traitor? You can't fire phasers on the Enterprise?), the reference in the title was *pained*, the lame jokes were... lame, and the entire prison sequence was... really dumb. Worth it only for the absolute last scene of the crew warping away for the last time.

6 was also good for the pink floating klingon blood. I really liked that stuff. The whole non-gravity scene was really good.

Winona Ryder, though she'd definitely "give a dog a bone", isn't in a lot of good non-Burton films.
I thought she was good in "Girl Interrupted". Someone won an Oscar in that one if I remember correctly. Still I was referring to her more as eyecandy than for acting ability.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Star Trek: The Motion picture was a great movie... it's the only real *Star Trek* movie. The characters act like they did in the show.
I heartily agree. It seemed to me that the films that followed the first/second had a "Let's milk this baby for all it's worth" feel.
Having all the crew 'join' Sybok was the worst idea since a car made out of whipped cream.
Did anyone else have a problem with Spock/McCoy being emotionally/mentally superior to the rest of the cast (Sulu, Chekov, et al) where THEY could resist Sybok's power yet the others couldn't? Okay, maybe Spock because he was Vulcan but…I had a big problem with that issue.

Still I was referring to her more as eyecandy than for acting ability.

Like Denise Richards :D

Did anyone else have a problem with Spock/McCoy being emotionally/mentally superior to the rest of the cast (Sulu, Chekov, et al) where THEY could resist Sybok's power yet the others couldn't? Okay, maybe Spock because he was Vulcan but…I had a big problem with that issue.

Yeah but Bones was a stubborn old man.

You made me lose my lunch with that comment, Dom. Thanks.

Sorry! I should have added "IMHO," at the end :p

I'll take this moment to add also that Winona Ryder was excellent in Bram Stroker's Dracula :cool:

Oh yeah... IMHO!!

I thought she was good in "Girl Interrupted". Someone won an Oscar in that one if I remember correctly. Still I was referring to her more as eyecandy than for acting ability.
Yeah, it was Angelina Jolie, for Best Supporting Actress. She was really good in that one.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant

6 was also good for the pink floating klingon blood. I really liked that stuff. The whole non-gravity scene was really good.

I don't know the fact that shots burned the hull with the shields up was pretty funny.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I like the part where the Bird of Prey shoots a torpedo, and it blows a hole through the saucer. Another thing that annoyed me was how stuff in the bridge would be blowing up every time the ship took a hit, despit the fact that the shields were up.

ST 1) The Slow Motion Picture. It was an okay movie, I liked the new Enterprise.

St 2) Rocked the house. a great bad guy, Kristy Alley as a Vulcan, lots of explosions, the best Star Trek music ever, and a downer ending. What more can you want? (besides updated special effects?)

ST 3) Not bad. I thought it was funny that Christoher Loyde played a Klingon. I couldn't get images of 'Doc' outta my head "1.21 Gigawatts!" There was that other guy who was a Klingon too. He was on Night Court, he played the Klingon who said "You said you'd kill me!".

St 4) Good movie. Pretty funny, though it shot the prime directive to hell. "Admiral, would this be time for a colorful metaphor?"

St 5) sucked, plain and simple.

ST 6) pretty good. Nice to see the Excelsior in action. Cheng has a great line right before he dies from the gas-seeking torpedo. "To be....or not....to be..." BOOM!

ST 7) Good movie, has a good bad guy, too bad Kirk dies though.

St 8) It's okay. Love the new enterprise. Continuity in star trek goes to hell.

St 9) sucked. They just keep finding more and more excuses for the most advanced ship in the federation to get it's assed kicked by a couple weak alien ships.

Oh, I heard that the director from Star Trek 2 was gonna direct Nemisis. Maybe this movie won't be bad after all.

Back