Wing Commander Prophecy EP question

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
I downloaded the WCPEP and what I got was a file that says WCP_release.zip. I clicked on it and it was just a bunch of letters and symbols. I moved it to my Wing Commander Prophecy file (went on Properties and clicked Find Target), but nothing happened. I'm not sure what to do.

I downloaded the WCPEP and what I got was a file that says WCP_release.zip. I clicked on it and it was just a bunch of letters and symbols. I moved it to my Wing Commander Prophecy file (went on Properties and clicked Find Target), but nothing happened. I'm not sure what to do.

sounds like a bad download. I think I would download it again from the CIC or HCl's site. When you open the zip there should be some *.tre files and dlls and a Prophecy.exe and a Multiplayer.exe. You put everything in there into your prophecy folder and it should overwrite a few files. If you want to change the game resolution then you run the install file and follow the instructions. You will need to copy the GF.tre files from your CDs to the patch directory.

I downloaded it from here, should I delete WCP_release.zip and dowload it again or download HCI's?

EDIT: Can I have the link to HCI?

What happens when you try to unzip it? It unzips here fine. Note that the file AD linked to is just the movie player .dll and readme zipped up. You're probably looking for http://download.wcnews.com/files/wcp/wcpep_release.zip instead.

I downloaded that and it says wepep_release.zip. It's also a wordpad file and I moved it to the Wing Commander Prophecy, and nothing happened, just the same game, I then tryed to open the game with wepep_release.zip and still nothing different happened.

BTW, I'm using Windows 98.

What happens when you try to unzip it? It unzips here fine. Note that the file AD linked to is just the movie player .dll and readme zipped up. You're probably looking for http://download.wcnews.com/files/wcp/wcpep_release.zip instead.
hehe oops. I thought I had pasted the correct link. I must have copied the wrong shortcut.
I downloaded that and it says wepep_release.zip. It's also a wordpad file and I moved it to the Wing Commander Prophecy, and nothing happened, just the same game, I then tryed to open the game with wepep_release.zip and still nothing different happened.

BTW, I'm using Windows 98.

Ahhhhhh. The problem is now abundantly clear. No it is not a notepad file. I forgot how win98 doesn't come preloaded with winzip. You need to download winzip or another zip utility to extract the appropriate files from the zip (an archive file). Alternately something like winrar will do it too.

Ok, I unziped WEPEP_release1.zip, and got multiplayer.exe, what do I do now to..well, play multiplayer? I mean like get past the firewall thing and such. I read the thing and do I need the Hi-Res patch?

Look guys, I'm sorry if this is annoying, I don't know alot about this computer stuff, so please do help!

Ok, I unziped WEPEP_release1.zip, and got multiplayer.exe, what do I do now to..well, play multiplayer? I mean like get past the firewall thing and such. I read the thing and do I need the Hi-Res patch?

Look guys, I'm sorry if this is annoying, I don't know alot about this computer stuff, so please do help!

you need to put every file that was in the ZIP into the prophecy directory. You don't have to actually run the Highres patch installer though if you don't want to

To play multiplayer you run the multiplayer.exe (make sure you set the compatability mode to win95 or 98). Then If you are hosting you set the number of players and stuff, start the server and wait for others to join. If someone else is hosting you just enter the host computers IP and then chose a team number.

If everyone picks the same team number you'll be on the same team.

Note: there isn't any kind of matchmaking service yet. You must arrange your games before hand. IRC is usually a good place to do that. Just tell people in the forum when you plan to be on and meet in #wingnut to set up the matches.

Back