Wing Commander Privateer in XP

I use dosbox on Win XP pro and i got the same msg:

Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls.
Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option.
If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM".

I think this game will never run on XP !

That has most likely nothing to do with XP. The old EMS driver has problems to load on modern mainboards, mostly on ones with onboard-LAN. It's a common problem and happens in Win98 as well.

DosBox rules for Privateer on WinXP!!

Thanks for the great info

-Chris

almost there damn'it!

it freeze there:

privdos.jpg

:confused:

Nope. Myjemm only works in Win9x. But then - who forces you to use XP?

Dosbox

I have a problem with dosbox... when I attempt to run it it says that the program "is too big to run in memory". I fancy myself adept at computers, but please give me a fairly detailed explanation of what to do, as I would hate to be in the middle of the process and not understand something! Post here, email me at b4ck145h@yahoo.com, and\or Instant message me (AIM) at Backlashpeter...

Thanks in advance!

I have a problem with dosbox... when I attempt to run it it says that the program "is too big to run in memory". I fancy myself adept at computers, but please give me a fairly detailed explanation of what to do, as I would hate to be in the middle of the process and not understand something! Post here, email me at b4ck145h@yahoo.com, and\or Instant message me (AIM) at Backlashpeter...
Well, first we need some more info. - Your PC setup (OS, CPU, RAM, etc) would really help to analyse the problem. And when exactly does the error come? When you run Dosbox.exe or the game you want to play? Without any more info I doubt anyone can help you step by step, except he/she had the exact same problem himself/herself...

running wingcommander in xp

Well, I downloaded DOSbox, mounted the WCpriv dir as c. Installed with SB settings and then ran it 'PRIV'

I got a whole lot of distorted colored vertical lines at the top, then these error messages came up before terminating altogether.

pagefault didn't correct table - on the normal XP dos screen

program halted by code D002-FFFF - on the DOSbox screen

old technology and new don't mix very well.

I also can't get Battlecruiser 300ad or Millenium to work on XP.

I suspect it has something to do with NVIDIA!!!!!

any ideas, gurus?

Is this the Floppy or the CD version?
If the CD version: Have you mounted the cd-rom? - And maybe you would like to compare your config file with mine - it's the CD-Version:
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=8551 (scroll down to the end)
The most important thing to do is disable EMS. If not, that's your bug.
Oh and I don't think it's NVida cause DOSBox emulates the whole PC (and many other NVidia users don't get that bug)
If my config doesn't help at all try reinstalling again via DOSBox with slightly different settings (maybe other SB)...

commche said:
Well, I downloaded DOSbox, mounted the WCpriv dir as c. Installed with SB settings and then ran it 'PRIV'

I got a whole lot of distorted colored vertical lines at the top, then these error messages came up before terminating altogether.

pagefault didn't correct table - on the normal XP dos screen

program halted by code D002-FFFF - on the DOSbox screen

old technology and new don't mix very well.

I also can't get Battlecruiser 300ad or Millenium to work on XP.

I suspect it has something to do with NVIDIA!!!!!

any ideas, gurus?

That happened to me, but then I ran Privateer's install program and choose normal Soundblaster for both music and speech (IRQ 7) and it worked, although ran incredibly slowly.

Almost there

Thanks to this thread I'm so close to running The Darkening on my PIII 1ghz Windows XP machine, however after installing it and mounting the drives etc. I get a fatal error:

Privateer 2 Fatal Error - Setstreamspeed - movies\origin.tgv File is too small to estimate data stream speed

and then a whole lot of binary comes up.

followed by, bizarrely:

Wonga = 13500 Creds

(This is all in the dosbox screen)

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get around this I'd be very grateful, you've all been very helpful so far, well done.

Kristian

No idea how well Privateer II works with DOSBox (according to the DOSBox site it's runnable), this Thread was about Privateer 1 anyway. But have you tried the Windows patch yet? You can find it here:
https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wcpriv2
Maybe that one helps you ;) Other than that: If that doesn't help, can you post your whole PC setup as well as your DOSBox.conf file you use for DOSBox? Maybe someone is able to say what causes the bug then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one that helped greatly, however, I'vegot to the point where the game asks for cd 2 and it isn't reading it. I have the original CD as well as it being copied to the hard drive but how do i tell the game that?

Hope you can help

privateer cd not found

ok i run all this crap and it tells me that it cant find the cd any ideas? my CD drive is E: and i havea c: nothing else

CD problems

If it cant find your cd, it is likely that you installed it from a different drive letter than the letter which it is now. Or of course maybe your cd isnt available at all?

There is an easy solution... Take your privateer cd, copy all the contents (especially PRIV.TRE) into your install directory on harddrive. Then fire up your favourite text editor, which will of course be VI and edit PRIV.CFG. You will see inside this file just one line of text, and it is something like "=D:pRIV.TRE" if your cdrom drive when you installed was D drive. So what you need to do is change this path to be the location of the file inside your install directory. So it will change to something like: "=C:\PRIV\PRIV.TRE"

If you are using righteous fire addon, you need to do the same procedure for RF.CFG.

After that, you wont need to cd to run the game at all.

Good luck!

Back