Wing Commander /privateer 2 Questions

Will games run on Windows7/New Joystick/quad coure cpu

• Total voters

Tainted

Spaceman
I'm new here, so I hope nobody is mad that I didn't search through all the pages looking for these answers:
I have a couple questions. I still have both my Wing commander 4 and prophecy cases/cds, as well as Privateer 2 (and the Origin complete game guide)

Here are my questions, first off, I've noticed they don't make much in the way of joysticks anymore. The ones out there, will they even be compatiable with these three games? (I'm hoping I still have my nice expensive joystick in the attic, a Sidewinder I believe.) edit: I just thought of something. Would USB joysticks even work with these games? If I recall, joysticks all used the PS/2 or whatever the plug is for computer keyboards.

Second question: Has anyone attempted to run these games on Windows 7? I was able to get Prophecy running on XP, but that's a whole different story. Privateer 2 is the one I'm most worried about, as I remember it took my dad days of editing the file properties to get the game to run on windows 95. Also, I saw a file concerning CPU speeds. I know that some older games, CPU has to be throttled otherwise the game runs at warp speed, but I have a quad-core computer. Anyone have experience here?

Third question: I don't have the Wing Commander Prophecy expansions, nor have I ever played them. Are they available as freeware anywhere? I really want to play them, whether I download them from somewhere or buy them (Assuming I get prophecy to work)

I'm glad to see these games aren't forgotten. I've spent years trying to find a game similar to Wing Commander or Privateer. I don't think any games made in the last 5 years outside of Microsoft Flight Sim are even built around the premise of joysticks and space. Just imagine with the 3d imaging we have now, the actual photos of distant galaxies and space from hubble, how cool a new space game would be.

edit: Just want to say how cool it is this website exists. The best memories of my life were playing Wing Commander/Privateer with him when I was 7-9ish years old. On top of that, he couldn't beat part of Prophecy, which after several days, he let me get him past the hold up.

If you have Windows 7 Home Professional (or Ultimate), then running the games in the full Windows XP mode is your safest bet. Otherwise, you could try DOSBOX.

Would USB joysticks even work with these games? If I recall, joysticks all used the PS/2 or whatever the plug is for computer keyboards.

Second question: Has anyone attempted to run these games on Windows 7?

Third question: I don't have the Wing Commander Prophecy expansions, nor have I ever played them. Are they available as freeware anywhere? I really want to play them, whether I download them from somewhere or buy them (Assuming I get prophecy to work)

Windows 7 can run the XP-solutions for those games, there are upgrade packs for WC4 and WCP hosted here that upgrade the games with hi-res movies intended for the DVD versions. As for you joystick, sticks are still available at most stores, but your choice is very limited these days, look on ebay for used good ones or go for professional ones. As for the compatibility; If you can configure your stick in windows, it will work with wing commander running through windows. Priv2, WC4 can run in windows using their respective upgrades, and the older games work best with DOSBOX.

I'm new here, so I hope nobody is mad that I didn't search through all the pages looking for these answers:
I have a couple questions. I still have both my Wing commander 4 and prophecy cases/cds, as well as Privateer 2 (and the Origin complete game guide)

First...

Always good to see a friendly ship!

Welcome to the CIC! We'll let it slide this time for not doing some homework ;)

Here are my questions, first off, I've noticed they don't make much in the way of joysticks anymore. The ones out there, will they even be compatiable with these three games? (I'm hoping I still have my nice expensive joystick in the attic, a Sidewinder I believe.) edit: I just thought of something. Would USB joysticks even work with these games? If I recall, joysticks all used the PS/2 or whatever the plug is for computer keyboards.

Yes, I've used my USB joystick in Priv2 in DOSBox and for WC4/WCP in Windows.

Second question: Has anyone attempted to run these games on Windows 7? I was able to get Prophecy running on XP, but that's a whole different story. Privateer 2 is the one I'm most worried about, as I remember it took my dad days of editing the file properties to get the game to run on windows 95. Also, I saw a file concerning CPU speeds. I know that some older games, CPU has to be throttled otherwise the game runs at warp speed, but I have a quad-core computer. Anyone have experience here?

For this stuff I'm going to move this thread over to the Tech Support Forum.

Yes they are. The CIC was given permission to post the entirety of Secret Ops a few years ago. Here's a front page link to download the starter package, the other episodes, and a few other things to help you out.

Be sure to check out the mod of Secret Ops Wing Commander Standoff. It's a must have as well.

I'm glad to see these games aren't forgotten. I've spent years trying to find a game similar to Wing Commander or Privateer. I don't think any games made in the last 5 years outside of Microsoft Flight Sim are even built around the premise of joysticks and space. Just imagine with the 3d imaging we have now, the actual photos of distant galaxies and space from hubble, how cool a new space game would be.

edit: Just want to say how cool it is this website exists. The best memories of my life were playing Wing Commander/Privateer with him when I was 7-9ish years old. On top of that, he couldn't beat part of Prophecy, which after several days, he let me get him past the hold up.

Glad you found the CIC. There's enough WC stuff on the site to keep you busy for a number of years :D One of the best things about WC is that you can jump back to any of the games after having not played them in a while and the experience is always enjoyable. No matter how many times I've played WC1, every time I fire it up for the first time in a few years for a playthrough when I see that intro start I'm still yelling "Ohh yeah!" on the inside. Time to die kitty!

Thanks for dropping in and welcome to being a Wingnut!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people will have better success with Priv2 in Dosbox over running the windows version. I have had no issues with it on a core i7 in win7 64 bit with dosbox. It may take some tweaking to get dosbox running just right but apart from running WinXP or 98 in a virtual machine it's probably the best and easiest bet.

I have one last question, which should be posted in the Abandonware thread, which is locked. I have my wing commander 4 cd case, just went and found it, but I'm missing the last two cds- 7 and 8. Is it legal for me to download just those cds, or to ask for those cds. If so, is it allowed on this forum, assuming I was to take pictures of the 8 sleeve cd case, the cds I do have, and something to prove I didn't find it online? Please, NOBODY interpret this as me asking for an upload, I'm simply asking if it's legal and if it would be allowed on this forum. I would post this in the Abandonware thread like I said, but it's closed.

I'm not sure what the law is, since I have bought the game and I do own 6/8 of it still. If it's not allowed, does anybody remember how the install/game progression goes? Can I still play the game up to the sixth disk, or does it ask for all cds when you install?

I have one last question, which should be posted in the Abandonware thread, which is locked. I have my wing commander 4 cd case, just went and found it, but I'm missing the last two cds- 7 and 8. Is it legal for me to download just those cds, or to ask for those cds. If so, is it allowed on this forum, assuming I was to take pictures of the 8 sleeve cd case, the cds I do have, and something to prove I didn't find it online? Please, NOBODY interpret this as me asking for an upload, I'm simply asking if it's legal and if it would be allowed on this forum. I would post this in the Abandonware thread like I said, but it's closed.

I'm not sure what the law is, since I have bought the game and I do own 6/8 of it still. If it's not allowed, does anybody remember how the install/game progression goes? Can I still play the game up to the sixth disk, or does it ask for all cds when you install?

WC4 is only 6 CDs. You aren't missing anything. The case just has extra slots.

That is the best news I've heard all day. As soon as I find my joystick or buy a new one, I'm hopping back into the game. Thank you all so much.

edit: Just curious, did everyone get the cd case with 8 slots, or is it just me? My case is thick cardboard, half red/black with a circle in the center with a logo, Wing commander IV at the top. The inside has those padded styrofoam cd slips, and instead of like a 3 ring binder metal clip, it's got two plastic buttons that keep the slips in.

Back