Wing Commander Ports

Benjamin

Rear Admiral
I know there are a few of these on the CZ already, but none seem to answer the questions that I have.

First off, the Sega CD: Does anybody have this? how does it play? Its it closer to the PC version in terms of playabillity or does it feel more like the SNES version? Also, what did the charecters sound like? Did the speech play off the CD as CD Audio (as in, playable in a CD player)? I'd be very interested to hear samples of each of the charecters speech and also to see some screenshots, any one know of a site where I can find these?

Second, The Amiga CD32: What about this one? any speech? any major differences to other versions? Did this one play like the SNES or PC version?

Also Super Wing Commander: Are there any differences between the 3DO and Mac versions? I'm currently trying to get hold of a 3DO so I can play this, as part of my 'get stuff i wanted ten years ago and never got' program.

I'll probably think of a whole bunch more questions later, when I can remember some other ports. It would be interesting to see a guide to WC ports on the CIC, noting differences and such...

First off, the Sega CD: Does anybody have this? how does it play? Its it closer to the PC version in terms of playabillity or does it feel more like the SNES version? Also, what did the charecters sound like? Did the speech play off the CD as CD Audio (as in, playable in a CD player)? I'd be very interested to hear samples of each of the charecters speech and also to see some screenshots, any one know of a site where I can find these?

Controls feel like the SNES version -- but it's much smoother, and in 256 colors (looks pretty much just like PC WC1). The voices *aren't* CD audio (although there's some CD audio music tracks on there). I haven't found a great way to beef up the controls (there's a flightstick for the Sega, but it isn't great), but the game does emulate very easily.

Second, The Amiga CD32: What about this one? any speech? any major differences to other versions? Did this one play like the SNES or PC version?

Depends -- if you have a fast enough Amiga, it'll play just like the PC version. Only signficiant difference between it and the original Amiga WC1 is that it's 256 colors instead of 32 or so. No speech, only difference between it and the PC version is the the rotating 'sim ships. :)

Also Super Wing Commander: Are there any differences between the 3DO and Mac versions? I'm currently trying to get hold of a 3DO so I can play this, as part of my 'get stuff i wanted ten years ago and never got' program.

Mac version is smoother, and the controls aren't as difficult. SWC version is just fine as long as you can find a 3DO flight stick.

I'll probably think of a whole bunch more questions later, when I can remember some other ports. It would be interesting to see a guide to WC ports on the CIC, noting differences and such...

I suppose I'd be interested in doing something like that -- I think I've played through all but one WC port now (Armada FM Towns).

Controls feel like the SNES version -- but it's much smoother, and in 256 colors (looks pretty much just like PC WC1). The voices *aren't* CD audio (although there's some CD audio music tracks on there). I haven't found a great way to beef up the controls (there's a flightstick for the Sega, but it isn't great), but the game does emulate very easily.

hmmmm. How do you play the game on a standard 3 button Mega Drive/Genesis Pad? or do you have to use the 6 button pad?
Also, how many buttons did the 3DO pad have?

I thought the Sega CD was still limited to 64 colours, and it was the SNES that could display 256. I'm sure I remember people moaning that the Sega CD didnt add any extra colours the the Genesis' limited pallet, and it wasnt untill the 32X that it got a boost to 32000 or summit.

How do the versions on the obsure japanese computers compare, any notable differences?

hmmmm. How do you play the game on a standard 3 button Mega Drive/Genesis Pad? or do you have to use the 6 button pad?

It supports both 3-button and 6-button layouts... with the 6-button layout being much, much easier to master. Personally, I use a "Quickshot Python 3" when I'm playing WC SegaCD on an actual machine (I use a CDX, since they're soooo cute).

Also, how many buttons did the 3DO pad have?

Standard 3DO pad had six buttons. If you're playing Wing Commander games on a 3DO, though, you really should look for the CH Products Flightstick Pro... it looks and feels just like the PC equivalent and both WC games have special control schemes to fit with it.

I thought the Sega CD was still limited to 64 colours, and it was the SNES that could display 256. I'm sure I remember people moaning that the Sega CD didnt add any extra colours the the Genesis' limited pallet, and it wasnt untill the 32X that it got a boost to 32000 or summit.

Hmm, a Google search says SegaCD games can do up to 256 colors with various programming tricks, but that most used only 64-128. As for WC, though -- WC Sega CD (as best I recall) looks just like PC WC... whereas WC SNES looks like the 32-color Amiga version.

How do the versions on the obsure japanese computers compare, any notable differences?

Hmmm... off the top of my head:

* No multiplayer in FM Towns or PC9821 Armada.
* In-cockpit speech for WC1.
* Redbook audio tracks for WC1, SM1/2 and WC2 music on FM Towns.
* SM1 & 2 make up a single, complete game for the FM Towns.

It supports both 3-button and 6-button layouts... with the 6-button layout being much, much easier to master. Personally, I use a "Quickshot Python 3" when I'm playing WC SegaCD on an actual machine (I use a CDX, since they're soooo cute).

As far as I'm aware Wing Commander was only released for the Sega CD in the US and Japan, what would it take to get it running on a UK system? Or would I need to buy a US Genesis and Sega CD to play it? Would US systems work with PAL TV's? Did the sega CD have internal memory for saving games, or did WC use a password save like the SNES?

The CDX was the little portable one that looked like a regular personal CD player right. Could you use it to play games while running off the batteries (that would be easier than using a step down converter)?

I've been watching movies of SWC that I've found on the CIC and it looks VERY wierd, but its making me want to play it even more! How does the 3DO version of WC3 compare? Also, are the any other games you would reccomend for the 3DO? Does it have that version of Flashback with all the fancy cinematics and the speech (asuming there is such a think and I'm not just getting confused)

No multiplayer in FM Towns or PC9821 Armada.

Really?!? I've always seen multiplayer as the core of Armada. The single player campaign never really did it for me, but when playing against a human opponent, it was great! I only wish I had taken advantage of the Co-Op Gauntlet mode when I was playing it all those years ago, I've been playing a lot of Co-Op Halo recently and I've realised that fighting with somebody is a lot more fun than fighting against them...

As far as I'm aware Wing Commander was only released for the Sega CD in the US and Japan, what would it take to get it running on a UK system? Or would I need to buy a US Genesis and Sega CD to play it? Would US systems work with PAL TV's? Did the sega CD have internal memory for saving games, or did WC use a password save like the SNES?

I don't think PAL/NTSC compatibility is an issue -- just a hardware region lockout, like DVD players have today. Back in the day there were several varieties of special cartridges you could buy to defeat the region lockout on the SegaCD... although none of them were 100% effective, and later models of the SegaCD blocked them from working. Probably best to find an American system (or just emulate).

The CDX was the little portable one that looked like a regular personal CD player right. Could you use it to play games while running off the batteries (that would be easier than using a step down converter)?

Yes, it could -- but it goes through them really, really quickly, IIRC. The true advantage is that it's really sleak -- all the functionality of a Genesis and a SegaCD together, taking up a third of the space.

I've been watching movies of SWC that I've found on the CIC and it looks VERY wierd, but its making me want to play it even more! How does the 3DO version of WC3 compare? Also, are the any other games you would reccomend for the 3DO? Does it have that version of Flashback with all the fancy cinematics and the speech (asuming there is such a think and I'm not just getting confused)

The 3DO WC3 is my favorite port of WC3 because it's so different -- it has a completely different engine (which is more remeniscent of WC2 with some 3D thrown in), and all the mission layouts are different. (And it's got all the extra scenes).

Other 3DO games... hmmm. I honestly never played any others -- I think I have the 3DO port of Rebel Assault, which is exactly the same as the PC version. And that's all (G)

There is a Flashback for 3DO, but I'm not familiar with it at all.

Really?!? I've always seen multiplayer as the core of Armada. The single player campaign never really did it for me, but when playing against a human opponent, it was great! I only wish I had taken advantage of the Co-Op Gauntlet mode when I was playing it all those years ago, I've been playing a lot of Co-Op Halo recently and I've realised that fighting with somebody is a lot more fun than fighting against them...

The Japanese Armada's did have splitscreen, but they didn't have any modem stuff. Probably something to do with Armada getting a simultaneous release on three different kind sof computers there (G)

Armada multiplayer was a heck of a lot of fun -- but it was a bit before its time. Multiplayer wasn't an institution in 1994, and nobody knew what to think of it.

Well, I won my 3DO. Not got it yet though. Now I just have to wait for a copy of SWC to apear on ebay.co.uk! I'll get to play doom on it for the time being though, but thats not really all that impressive given that almost every piece of computer hardware ever released ever in the history of the world has a copy of Doom availible for it. I'm also gonna try to get hold of a bunch of those lame ass FMV adventure games because, well, I want too :D

In the meanwhile I just bought a copy of WCIII PSX to keep me going, now there's a machine that wasnt meant to play Wing Commander, at least not in the state it was in!

In the meanwhile I just bought a copy of WCIII PSX to keep me going, now there's a machine that wasnt meant to play Wing Commander, at least not in the state it was in!

WC3 PSX's problem was that it tried to be just like the PC version... which the PSX just couldn't handle. The less exact port of WC4 ended up being a lot more fun.

My fav WC port was the Amiga 600 one (my first WC game)

The Amiga 500 port of WC was very impressive, in that it was done by a single person... but it didn't really improve or change PC WC1 much, save for better quality music and weird rotating ships in the 'sim. :)

(Not *really* better quality music -- but the Amiga music universally sounded like the MIDI music WC1 PC had... and most PCs didn't have a separate MIDI setup.)

The Amiga 600 port, is the same as the Amiga 500 one.

The only problem I had with the port, was that on some missions when I got back to The Tiger's Claw, it was "cloaked" ie it had gone invisible and while looking for it I often crashed into and fried

Regarding SegaCD stuff...
Colors:
* Originally 64, same as Genesis
* Using programming tricks, can get 128 colors via HAM ("Hold and
Modify")
- Originally developed on the Commodore Amiga to boost color
capabilities
- Basically a graphic over a graphic = a double-color
* Using Cinepak and TruVideo:
- 128 to 256 colors
- Increase screen size from 1/4 to full
- Advanced compression scheme, used in Win 95
- Software-based upgrade
* Eternal Champions CD uses 256 colors simultaneously (only game to
do so)

Q: Is it possible to play foreign CDs on my Sega CD/Mega CD?
A: Yes, but...

If you insert a foreign CD into your Sega CD (remember, there are three
nationalities of Sega CDs here: European, Japanese, and U.S.), you will
not be able to load it. The reason for this is that a "nationality"
lockout code is on each Sega CD and Mega CD unit. This assures (without
outside help) that a particular CD will only be playable on its
particular system.
There is a way around this lock-out code. There are cartridges
available that plug directly into the Genesis slot that allow foreign
CDs to be used by any system by "undoing" this lockout code.

[The Lockout Chip]

The Sega CD unit had a specially designed BIOS chip/security program
that prevented the unit from reading CD games intended for other markets
(US, Japanese, European), such as Japanese or European CDs on a U.S.
machine, and vice-versa. This Lockout chip or BIOS information
instructed the CD unit to read the CD and look for a certain
file/security identifier that indicated that the CD was authorized for
use on the system.

To work around this, Datel designed the Pro CD-X and Pro CD-X Plus.

Pro CD-X (and Pro CD-X Plus)

This is a special cartridge that plugs into the Genesis in the cart slot
and overrides the security commands of the Sega CD. This allows you to
play any Sega CD or Mega CD title on any Sega CD or Mega CD system of a
different origin. However, it wasn't 100% effective - not all games
were compatible with this unit, making its appeal very limited.

During Sega's redesign of the Genesis and CD system, they updated the
Bios to prevent this cartridge from working.

Also, the Pro-CDX is NOT compatible with the 32X.

CD+Plus

This cartridge looks like a regular Genesis cartridge and has better
success with compatibility than its predecessors. When the Sega CD is
powered up with this cart in place, it's possible to run the Sega CD via
the options screen (select "CD-ROM"). The reset button does NOT open
the Sega CD tray (first model), you have to do that via the options
screen as well.

Version 3.0B of the CD+PLUS works with the 32X unit, but earlier
versions (2.8 for example) are incompatible. The version number
is visible when the Genesis/Sega CD is powered up with the CD+PLUS cart,
look in the right-hand corner of the screen.

Secondary security lockout bypass

This is the option to using one of the above carts. It is possible
to build your own switch onto the back of the Sega CD. It requires
rewiring two transistors, indicating US or Japan (no idea how
European Sega CDs would work with this). No details are available in
this FAQ.
Source: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/segacd/file/sega_cd.txt

Back