Wing Commander on Bluray anytime soon?

Dean478

Rear Admiral
I've seen the news a bout HD broadcasts but what's the chances of seeing it on bluray anytime soon?

I'm planning to buy a region 4 DVD (now that I finally found one) but I'd rather not if I'm going to be replacing it like the rest of my film library.. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of any plans for a Bluray release anytime soon. It would be nice but I feel there may be some backroom politics holding this up. It would seem like a no-brainer for FOX to do a really cheap no-frills release as you can rent the HD on xbox and itunes here.

We've been anxiously waiting for a Wing Commander bluray, but there has never been any real news on it. I imagine it'll just appear one day as someone reaches it while pulling back catalog films for release.

Last weekend I redid my movie shelf, and I've got some 500 DVDs there. Thinking about my movie-buying future, I can't see ever really replacing my "library" (except for Wing Commander!). I've got a couple dozen Blurays, of mostly new movies. About half were gifts. I think a big part of buying DVDs 10 years ago was to be able to have and watch a movie anytime I felt like it. Now, I can call up any movie on iTunes, Amazon Prime, etc and rent or buy it instantly there. Via my iPad & AppleTV, downloadable movies are both portable and easily streamable in HD to my TV. So given how little time I spend actually watching movies, I'll probably be significantly cutting back on my disc-buying from this point on.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 30, 6 13 19 PM (HDR).jpg
    Photo Jul 30, 6 13 19 PM (HDR).jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Photo Jul 30, 6 44 59 PM (HDR).jpeg
    Photo Jul 30, 6 44 59 PM (HDR).jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 176
That's quite a collection!

I still buy DVDs & CDs and value having a physical version. I don't think that these formats are dead (yet).

Are those "official" Wing Commander Academy DVD covers?

I haven't heard of any plans for a Bluray release anytime soon. It would be nice but I feel there may be some backroom politics holding this up. It would seem like a no-brainer for FOX to do a really cheap no-frills release as you can rent the HD on xbox and itunes here.
[/quote]

You'd think so. Especially when they can just do it digital only and save money on all the hardcopy materials they don't need to produce.

Last weekend I redid my movie shelf, and I've got some 500 DVDs there. Thinking about my movie-buying future, I can't see ever really replacing my "library" (except for Wing Commander!). I've got a couple dozen Blurays, of mostly new movies. About half were gifts. I think a big part of buying DVDs 10 years ago was to be able to have and watch a movie anytime I felt like it. Now, I can call up any movie on iTunes, Amazon Prime, etc and rent or buy it instantly there. Via my iPad & AppleTV, downloadable movies are both portable and easily streamable in HD to my TV. So given how little time I spend actually watching movies, I'll probably be significantly cutting back on my disc-buying from this point on.

Wow, I suppose if I had 500 or so I'd be reconsidering upgrading too. And you make a great point. Personally I hate physical media. It takes up so much space and it can get tedious having to walk out to the study to get films of the shelf.

The only issue so far with digital is that here in Australia a lot of the online sites, for political reasons that only ever hurt the consumer, will not distribute to our side of the world. In addition we have very expensive download limits which means streaming is really out of the question.

Hopefully one day we can look back on this conversation and laugh while we sit there watching films on a TV that has no media box or discs nearby and we simply stream in what we choose to watch. :)

And I suppose recording these HD broadcasts of the films would be illegal? Even for those who own a DVD copy of the film? I currently have a region 1 which I can't watch (used to on the old multi-zone player).

And I suppose recording these HD broadcasts of the films would be illegal? Even for those who own a DVD copy of the film? I currently have a region 1 which I can't watch (used to on the old multi-zone player).

Whether you own it on DVD or not, it wouldn't be illegal here. DVRs that record anything and everything broadcast for personal use are very common, and sometimes provided by the cable companies.

Whether you own it on DVD or not, it wouldn't be illegal here. DVRs that record anything and everything broadcast for personal use are very common, and sometimes provided by the cable companies.

Oh? Then this could possibly be an option.. assuming someone has the capacity to burn to a large disc.

If I remember correctly for Aus, we now have format shifting laws which basically allow us to format shift for private use, provided we do not have to circumvent copy protection.

So, copying CDs are fine - commercial DVD & BDs no. However, recording from a public TV broadcast is permitted (e.g. to a PVR). Then copying to a DVD/BD is a format shift, but doing so for repeated ongoing pvte consumption I think is still a grey area.

As to copying, you can (approximately) save a 2 hour HD TV broadcast to a DVD. This is burnt in AVCHD format (i.e. blue-ray) so still requires a BD player to display (not a normal DVD player).

I have a 1080i .TS capture from Sky Movies sat on my hard drive :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Oh? Then this could possibly be an option.. assuming someone has the capacity to burn to a large disc.

That's not the same thing though. :) Recording on a DVR for your home use is fine, copying for distribution is not allowed. If you just want to watch it in HD and there's not a broadcast, there are HD streaming rental options on services like iTunes and Amazon.

Just did some investigating. Seems that Amazon doesn't provide the service to Australia, but the apple store does. However need to purchase a their TV 'box'. The downside is as you mentioned, rent and I'm not too sure about the legality of recording apple TV?

If you're willing to wait, Channel 7 or some other station may show it again. I know there's no love for Australia from Amazon, but having to go to Apple just for one movie seems like a bit of a big commitment to me, unless you're using it for other things, of course.

Just did some investigating. Seems that Amazon doesn't provide the service to Australia, but the apple store does. However need to purchase a their TV 'box'. The downside is as you mentioned, rent and I'm not too sure about the legality of recording apple TV?

Yeah, options do vary by country, unfortunately. I think you could also rent the movie via an iPad. I'm actually surprised the iTunes PC option hasn't worked itself out, but hopefully that opens up down the line.

I don't know about Australia, but in Canada as well as the US, the HD WC movie was available for rent on the zune market place too for xbox or a zune player or presumably also a windows phone.

There's something odd about the movie's relationship with FOX Home Video. We've always been told it did fairly good business (and I've seen some evidence to support that)... but they've always been flat out against a re-release. Digital Bits/Home Theater Forum used to hold semi-annual chats with studios about upcoming projects and the response to anything they weren't doing was always "we'll look into it"... EXCEPT when someone asked FOX about Wing Commander and they replied that there was no chance it'd get an updated DVD. There's something we don't know...

I am terribly frustrated by the lack of ability to purchase the HD version. Why does every service RENT it instead of sell it? Stupid 21st century. It's costing me a mint constantly getting new copies on my iPad...

Back