Wing Commander On BBC1 This Saturday Night (December 27, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Starman noticed that this weekend's BBC ONE schedule has a special treat for Wing Commander fans in Europe. The WC Movie will be showing on Sunday morning at 12:15 am, shortly after midnight. It runs about 95 minutes in length until 1:50 am. The movie didn't get a proper theatrical release in Britain, and only got a DVD ins stores recently, so major broadcasts like this are neat.
Wing Commander
Sun 31 Dec, 12:15 am - 1:50 am 95mins

Blair, a fighter pilot, joins an interstellar war to fight the evil Kilrathi who are trying to destroy the universe. [Chris Roberts, 1999]

--
Original update published on December 27, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
not really the best description ever... if the Kilrathi were trying to "destroy the universe", wouldn't that destroy them as well?
perhaps conquer the universe would've been better...

That description has been around since the release of the movie for some reson.

Since before the movie was released actually. There was horrible plot synopsis floating around for quite a while before the movie or the novelization came out, and it was absolutely terribe. Something about the Kilrathi getting a doomsday weapon that would destroy the universe. Eventually a proper synopsis emerged though.

While I didn't consider it a particularly smart thing to post, I did judge it to be acceptably benign. Come on, give me a little credit for effort! ;)

Besides, if my British landlady happens to get the correct BBC here in the States, I may even stay up and watch the kickass intro.

Started 5 minutes late due to football overrun.

Also you've got to love the BBC announcer effort -

"You've played the game, now see the film..."
"Movie action inspired by the classic computer game Wing Commander..."

I am most enjoying this!

I can get over them making the ships like submarines, is slightly plausable and I can see past the silly uniforms but why oh why did they make the Confed fighters so awful???

Great new Drathi style ships but why does it all look like starlancer? Did Digital Anvil to the graphics?

Interesting to see how manic got so cocky...OMG the kilrathi are on...

Yes, I'm sure DA did all the CGI during the time they were developing Starlancer :)

Also correct me if I'm wrong but does Chris Robins have a cameo as the TCS Concordia SRA pilot who tractors Blair in?

Yes, I'm sure DA did all the CGI during the time they were developing Starlancer :)

Also correct me if I'm wrong but does Chris Robins have a cameo as the TCS Concordia SRA pilot who tractors Blair in?

Yep!

It was neat to see him, at the end of wc4 or here in the movie

Seeing that its been almost 4 years or so since I last saw the film, it was definitely worth it watching this weeks airing of the movie. I had already seen the film way before I started playing the games so it was quite a positive reminder on how cool the film was to me back then.

Although when I watch it now, there are quite a few things that irked me when comparing the games and the film, plot-wise I mean.

But on the whole it was quite good, Chris Roberts directing was well done, some of the action sequences were spectacular, the character development between Blair and Maniac was well recieved and the special effects were great.

Now, the next thing for me to do is purchase the DVD version of the film. ;)

Stayed up to watch it despite having watched the DVD a couple of times already this week. I was reading Pilgrim Stars at the same time (shame it ended the way it did).

The DVD is pretty basic, no extras to speak of (couple of TV spots and the theatrical trailer), but you should be able to find it cheap now. I wonder if this will ever see the light of an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray release with some decent extras and maybe the cut scenes of the traitor plot. The space footage would look beautiful in HD, and with the extra capacity of the discs, they could pretty much give us all the deleted footage.

I know, I know, I am dreaming here. Oh well. :(

Stayed up to watch it despite having watched the DVD a couple of times already this week. I was reading Pilgrim Stars at the same time (shame it ended the way it did).

The DVD is pretty basic, no extras to speak of (couple of TV spots and the theatrical trailer), but you should be able to find it cheap now. I wonder if this will ever see the light of an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray release with some decent extras and maybe the cut scenes of the traitor plot. The space footage would look beautiful in HD, and with the extra capacity of the discs, they could pretty much give us all the deleted footage.

I know, I know, I am dreaming here. Oh well. :(

There's already an HD transfer that's been broadcast a lot on HBO's HD movie channel. So there's no real reason for it not to get a blu-ray release... (Fox is currently supporting Blu-ray so expect to see it there before it's ever on HD-DVD).

Thanks for the info AD.

I guess it just depends on whether Fox see a cost-return benefit from pressing the discs. Would the movie sell enough to justify the process, which, IIRC, is a lot more expensive than regular DVD?

Oh well, I can hope (and maybe start a letter campaign ;) )

Back