Wing Commander Multi (for real dude)

LOA--Deadman

Spaceman
Me and another guy were working on a Wing Commander to Freespace2 conversion. Unfortunatly when I quit LOA... Lets just say that I left on good terms but don't want anything to do with them.
I'm sure there are some of you out there who have played Freespace and might have an idea of what exactly I'm talking about. There is a program that comes with FS2 called FRED2. With fred you can insert ships (wc4 ships) and wav files for briefings and create missions to fly.
Now I brace myself for those of you who say "creating WC in FS would be disloyal!" And maybe your right... But it has been some time now and there has been no word of another WC game. Anyway I still know some people who are good at making mods (i can't because I don't have Lightwave 3d). If there is interest we could start acually working on it in a seriose manner. So far there is a mod for the Vampire, Hellcat, Longbow, and Banshee. Right now work is being done on the Victory and Ajax class destroyer.
Like I said before, if there is interest and you would like to help just say so. If not feel free to insult me and all that wonderful stuff.

--------------
"Can't we all just kill some midgets?"
(Ronfrey King)

IMO, a mod for Starlancer would be more resonable, since it's gameplay is already so similar to WC. Though someone would have to find a way to make the AI in SL better.

Is multiplayer really even that important for WC? Maybe I'm alone here, but to tell you the truth space shooters aren't my favorite type of game. I'm just not that much of a reflex/trigger game kinda person. The reason I love WC is the universe and plot. You start playing multiplayer, and its all about blowing people up. You lose the aspects that make WC so special. Maybe someday there will be a WC or Priv online with a dynamic world where the two can be combined for a truly kick ass game, but if I just want to blow other people up, I can just as well play Freespace 2 w/o a WC mod.

I know. I'm definetly not the prototypical WC fan. My favorite games are turn based strategy, so I've found the last few years of RTS and FPS games quite disappointing.

But what I love most of all is a great story. That's what WC gave me that no other game has delivered on. Computer games have the potential to combine the best of all forms of media. They should be able to evoke emotion and excite audiences that movies have, while being able to tell an even deeper, more book like story since it doesn't have to be constrained by a 2 or 3 hour time limit. Throw in the involvment of a game and multiplayer abilities so you can share the experience with others first hand, and you have the ultimate entertainment experience.

Unfortunatly, WC is the only game series to combine these elements. Why is it that everything else seems to center on good graphics and explosions without a plot? (ie Unreal Tournament and all the other mindless kill everything games)

So, although a Freespace 2 mod would allow WC combat, I can't imagine it bringing the WC experience that I so dearly love. But thats just me, as a lover of the WC universe and a hater of games based entirely on fragging others. However, I wish you the best of luck on the mod, and hope you can create an extention of the WC universe that will emulate not only the combat, but also the brilliant story and compelling universe.

I definatley think a Starlancer mod would be better, it just felt like Wing Commander but if you are going to use FS2 make sure you alter the weapons, put in some nice capships, alter the HUD, etc etc
Nothing I hate more than half a conversion.

Of all the mods that I have seen, only the FS one allows for the development of a good story In-game. It allows heavy scripting and in-game dialogue as well as very well developed briefings. About the only thing it would not be able to do is the cloaking devices. Of all the mods its the one im looking most forward too. I have no idea on the ease of making mods for starlancer but I really didn't care for the demo so I won't be buying it anyway. Good luck on the mod though

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Vondoom said:
Of all the mods that I have seen, only the FS one allows for the development of a good story In-game. It allows heavy scripting and in-game dialogue as well as very well developed briefings. About the only thing it would not be able to do is the cloaking devices.

That sounds pretty impressive. I'll have to stay on the look out for FS mods.

Too bad the gameplay in FS will leave a lot to be desired. Now, I'm not starting another VS debate. It's just that the gameplay in FS would have to be changed in several areas in order to make a WC mod. For one, capships would have to be weaker, and have shields, autopilot instead of jumping, afterburners that run on fuel, and fighting that's more concentraded on gun use than missile use. SL already has all those things.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 23, 2000).]

Earthworm: I've only seen the SL demo, but didn't they jump or warp or something between nav points? It certainly wasn't autopilot.

They do actually.... Perhaps I should rephrase. In SL you also jump, but while in FS you just jump to end the mission, in SL you jump from one point to another. Plus it doesn't look really like jumping, but more like accelerating to very high speeds (fighters closing up their scoops and gaining speed incredibly fast?
smile.gif
).

Though as an alternative, jumping through the wormholes you open for yourself in FS, and few times in SL could be incorporated into the story as some new tech Confed has.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 23, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey is there a possible chance for the panther, Vampire,Cerberus,plunket classs cruiser if these ships are possible then we guys can have tournament between the Terran Confederation and the Terrans of the freespace. We can built fleets and destroy the oppsing forces of confed.

Earthworm: about the capships, I think FS has Capships where they should be. In WC Capships are helpless agaisnt fighters. It has always been far too easy to take them out. Plus you can easily edit missles to make them weaker or fewer. Have there been any MOD's to SL btw? I know making mods to most space games is difficult (which is why there are few mods outside of the X-wing and FS series). Also more important, can you make mods in SL with story and detailed briefings? If you could SL would be better but for ease FS should have it beat easily.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Sounds good Rider but I'd feel sorry for the guys on the Confed side. Their bombers and capships would get torn to sh*t before they even got a torp lock. That's what makes bombing in FS2 so fun.
smile.gif
The flack and beams makes it a real pain. To bad they decided to drop the flack idea hen WC3 came out.

And as for people who say FS2 has no real story. Your absolutly right about that except in one instance. For a short time you fly with SOC (similar to Block Ops in WC) Though they don't go that far into detail about your wingman it was actally the best part of the game (at least for me). I actally wanted to go on a suicide mission to save the guy.
As for using Starlancer for multiplayer... Don't think so. It not only sucks ass as a game (waste of $50 IMHO), but have you ever tried playing it online? But I guess it would do ok...if you don't mind having the game paused every 30 seconds because of lag (even with a Cable or ISDN host. That and you'd have to build a program so you can creat missions...
I have been playing FS2 for over half a year now and the lag is nowhere near as bad. Played with up to 8 people with very little lag (with cable/ISDN host). People just have to have the presence of mind to put their damn updates on low...Hate newbies!!!
I just choose FS2 because the multiplayer is good and it's easy to create mods, missions, briefings (with vioce and picture (though I have no idea how to do CGI) and all the stuff you need to convert a game.
The autopilot thing is a problem but not a big one. Would it be so bad to hae the game paused for a few seconds to recive an updated brifing? One you hit continue you'd be back in flight on the next leg of the patrol.
The brains the ai have is another thing that really sucks in SL. Play one mission in that game and try to tell them to kill something. THEY'RE RETARDED!!! FS on the other hand at least try. And what you can oder them to do can help alot in a mission (protect my target, distroy my target, disable my target, disarm my target, ignore my target, depart, cover me.
In FS2 weapons can be modified so they have any name, damage percentage. Hell, you can even change what they look like when you fire them. Have a mod with a skull and crossbones on the nose. Have another mod that is identicle to the swarmer missile.
As for the rearming thing...in WCP you could rearm but only at certain times. Man what I would have given to be able to rearm/repair during SO... And if unaprobriate the support option can be disabled.
Fuel...one thing that can't really be changed since they operate in the same way gun power does in almost any game (recharges faster though).
HUD interface...don't know of any way to change that but it might be possible.
What can be moded will be...

Pedro: Whatever happened to that coversion you were working on? (Unknown Enemy) Looked farward to seeing it, and still want to see it. I downloaded it and couldn't get past the briefing, but what I did see looked nice.

-------------
When does the hurting stop?!

Deadman, Unknown Enemy is still going I just haven't updated the website, its going to be slow going if we can't get hold of WingED but Quarto has handed out bits of plot and I need to talk to Hadrian again, he was working on some new graphics. We don't know where Dude is right now, I'm in the process of finding him but Locke is working on the missions as we speak.
Anyway I'll be updating the website with all this information. Oh and the crashing was due to the voice-overs which have not been included in this version so don't worry, it'll be bug free.

About MODs for SL:
The man to ask about this is HCl (what a surprise!
biggrin.gif
). You could go here to get some info.
Mario is a moderator there and put out some editing tools for SL. Bargib (admin of that site) is in contact with some people at Warthog. The last info he gave is that they plan to release a mission editor/builder for SL but up to now there is no date set for its release.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

I can't believe he abandoned WC for SL, is nothing sacred anymore, I haven't even bothered playing SL a secound time.

Vondoom said:
Earthworm: about the capships, I think FS has Capships where they should be. In WC Capships are helpless agaisnt fighters. It has always been far too easy to take them out.
Yeah, but I prefer them too easy than too hard. It always pisses me off when in FS I have to use 15 bombs on a capship, and because my poor ship can't carry that much I have to rely on my stupid wingman...

Have there been any MOD's to SL btw?
Hm, there is a program similar to WCPedit for it, and several SW and BS ships.

Also more important, can you make mods in SL with story and detailed briefings? If you could SL would be better but for ease FS should have it beat easily
As far as the story goes it could be presented in the news reports. Briefings would be tougher since in the original game they're presented through cutscenes.

Back