Wing Commander Movie questions

powell99

Aviation Junkie
I have several questions they are

1) What type of cockpit does the Rapier use I herad that they were that of BAE Lightning or an F-15 Eagle?

2) The Bible refers to the F-44A as a Rapier II would that mean that the Rapier from the Movie is indeed the Rapier I?

3) Does the broadsword use any aircraft parts, THey look like byproduct of an affair between old Badgers of the USSR and the B-25?

4) Is the Diligent, which the Handbook calls an Errant Class, the same class as Paladin's ship from the Novels?

Thats all really

powell99 said:
I have several questions they are

1) What type of cockpit does the Rapier use I herad that they were that of BAE Lightning or an F-15 Eagle?

2) The Bible refers to the F-44A as a Rapier II would that mean that the Rapier from the Movie is indeed the Rapier I?

3) Does the broadsword use any aircraft parts, THey look like byproduct of an affair between old Badgers of the USSR and the B-25?

4) Is the Diligent, which the Handbook calls an Errant Class, the same class as Paladin's ship from the Novels?

Thats all really

1. The Cockpit from the Rapier actually resembles that of a F4F Grumman

2. No

3. No clue... I more associated them w/ the A-10

4. No

Lightning is correct. Buying F-15s to film the Wing Commander movie would have been very, very expensive (if even legal in the first place). The movie production used two Lightnings.

That's correct.

No - there was no full scale Broadsword set... all the external shots of the Broadsword are CGI.

No. Paladin doesn't really have a single ship in the later fiction. In Freedom Flight (and in Wing Commander 2 and Special Ops 1) he has the Bonnie Heather, a Free Trader-class ship. In Special Ops 2 he has the Grimalkin/Gamal Gan (a Dorkathi-class transport) and in Fleet Action he has the Bannockburn, an unidentified class of light merchantman with a cloaking device.

Bandit LOAF said:
No. Paladin doesn't really have a single ship in the later fiction. In Freedom Flight (and in Wing Commander 2 and Special Ops 1) he has the Bonnie Heather, a Free Trader-class ship. In Special Ops 2 he has the Grimalkin/Gamal Gan (a Dorkathi-class transport) and in Fleet Action he has the Bannockburn, an unidentified class of light merchantman with a cloaking device.
A transport huh? Funny he would call it that... because thats later a huge cruiser in WCP isnt it? Damn thing would rip apart almost any ship...

If you're thinking of the Plunkett-class TCS Bannockburn from Secret Ops, then it was named after Paladin's ship on purpose by the SO team.

Im not so sure, the Name Bannockburn was the name of a Brittish warship from back during the colonial times, I thought it was named after that.

THanks for clearing that up! I read (Hell if I can remember where!) that the Errant was the class of the Bannockburn guess I was wrong :)

Im not so sure, the Name Bannockburn was the name of a Brittish warship from back during the colonial times, I thought it was named after that.

I'm pretty sure the name made it into Secret Ops after they had someone compile a list of historical Wing Commander ships. :)

THanks for clearing that up! I read (Hell if I can remember where!) that the Errant was the class of the Bannockburn guess I was wrong

It's a popular fan assumption (since it most closely matches the 'class' of the Bannockburn)... but there's no solid data behind it. (Certainly the Errant wasn't even a gleam in Peter Lamont's eyes when Fleet Action was written...)

Back