Wing Commander Movie on Sci-Fi Saturday (July 16, 2004)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The Wing Commander movie will be showing on the Sci-Fi Channel in the US again this Saturday. It will go on the air at 12:30 pm Eastern/Pacific. That's shortly after noon for those confused by the am/pm.

Wing Commander - This tightly directed military adventure about elite fighter pilots (and one cranky civilian scout) in a 27th-century war for interstellar domination stars Freddie Prinze Jr. (I Know What You Did Last Summer), beautiful Saffron Burrows (Deep Blue Sea, Troy), Matthew Lillard (Thir13en Ghosts, Scooby-Doo) and Jürgen Prochnow (David Lynch's Dune, Das Boot). Shot through with submarine-drama suspense, it's one of the best movie adaptations of a hit videogame. Airs Saturday, July 17, at 12:30PM ET/PT
Have fun.

--
Original update published on July 16, 2004

Last edited by a moderator:
You mind me asking where that quote came from? Cause I highly doubt that was the description you get when you press info on the remote. The Wing Commander movie is a horrible make on my favorite computer game series of all time.

(sigh)

I used to post in CIC forums until it became obvious that some of you take your love for Wing Commander too far. For example you will find any means necessary to some how fit that crappy movie into the Wing Commander universe. I once posted saying that it was just a movie and in no way could fit into the same Wing Commander universe that the games are in and I got a lecture on a bunch of ifs. That’s called being obsessed. It’s a movie. A horrible movie with a horrible lead actor, with horrendous special effects. I cringed when I saw that movie. I cringed when I saw the Raptor… 1990 VGA graphics made that plane look way better then those scrap pieces of metal they glued together for the movie.

It is a movie, it is Chris Roberts attempting to shove in elements from the first 3 games into a movie. However many of you take time out of your day to say that its all connected. That somehow this movie could have happened at a specific point in the Wing Commander universe and then what? Then it was Wing Commander 1 or was Wing Commander 1 first and then the movie? I don’t remember how you did it but I remember being amused by it.

Instead of taking it for what it is, an attempt at making a movie out of a game some of you act as if there is no difference between them. This is my view of it, the games are the ONLY source of Wing Commander fact. That means that if anything conflicts with a game, the game is right. That includes the books as well. Alright, if Chris Roberts reads one of the books and decides he wants to include a war in the game, then now that war is a part of the Wing Commander Universe…however… Maniac was NEVER a Colonel. No, he did not get promoted in Wing Commander 4, he did in the book but in Wing Commander Prophecy he was a Major. I’m sure you have an explanation for that too I bet, did he some how get demoted??? Yeah..I’m sure he did.

Blair and Maniac hated each other until the 4th Wing Commander when they started warming up. But sure that movie could fit in them being best buds. Hell even the Wing Commander games have contradicted the Wing Commander games. More specifically the Wing Commander manuals. Wing Commander 1’s manual said Maniac was from another planet, and Blair didn’t meet Maniac until he saw him on the TIGER’S CLAW (that’s Tiger’s Claw NOT Tiger Claw… there IS an S)…But the Kilrathi Saga manual makes it look like they went to the Academy together. I give authority to the Wing Commander 1 manual and game.

I remember talking to someone here about that and they said something like Blair could have been transferred here and there before going to the Tigers Claw therefore Maniac would say good to meet you????? Okay then, that board alienated me because some of you are just so far out there. Extreme. I love Wing Commander, but I also knows what’s good. You know you are extreme when you can’t notice when something is a piece of crap. That movie was a piece of crap, and the way it is talked about on this board is as if its not even in discussion that this was not only one of the greatest remakes of a game, but that this is actually one of the best films of all time… LOL! I remember reading something on your page about how inconceivable you thought it was that some reviewer had a tidbit about this movie being crap. Inconceivable? Is that really what you think?

It is one thing to have a different opinion then someone else, but you act as if you are the majority. You act as if its been PROVEN wrong… and opinion proved wrong… Then you made fun of him for having that opinion. You also said how there was an obvious mistake, I think I caught that mistake, about the Kilrathi… Yeah it was the ones in Wing Commander 3 that were puppets, but I still think they looked a million times scarier then that movie made them look.

Back to my point, when you become so obsessed with something that you can’t possibly find faults with it and know when its become crap then you have a problem. Its why people continue to shove out money to watch these horrible new Star Wars movies. They loved the first 3 so much that they can’t let themselves see what a bunch of crap Episode 1 and 2 are. People who like bands also have this tendency. I myself have it with the band Queen. I love Queen, and I have all their albums they could release a bunch of bits of un-finished recordings and I would probably by it and love it. Even though they DIDN’T EVEN THINK IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH to be released at the time they made it. I know how it is. But it is sad none the less. You all love Wing Commander so much that you just cling to ANYTHING that has its name. I love Wing Commander, but Im not obsessed with it. I liked it just enough to realize what an insult that movie was to me, a fan. One of the reasons that movie made any money was because it was to show a preview for Star Wars Episode One… Those obsessed people paying for a movie to just see a preview… wow… But you couldn’t keep those science fiction geeks there, I heard stories about them walking out of the theater. They didn’t even like it, that’s a sign.

I wanted to like it… I really did… I felt bad not liking the Wing Commander movie. I even bought it on DVD to give it another try… It still sucks. But as a fan I will probably revisit it again just because it has the name Wing Commander on it. So I share a little in common with you, if it has that name I will watch it. It does not mean I will like it though.

It’s a movie that I believe sucks, and I question the reviewer that you had that quote from. I really do wonder where its from. Was it from one of your own members or some sci-fi magazine? I know its not from Roger Ebert. Heh. Not only do I think it was a bad movie, but I hate Chris Roberts for milking it. I think he did you all a tremendous disservice. But you don’t see that for some reason, and if Wing Commander 2 the movie came out, you would spend money on it. Well unless Mark Hammil is in that one, I won’t give it a second thought. The same goes for the games, and although the Wing Commander series is probably dead (unfortunately) if they came out with a new one that theoretically was horrible… you would all but it. Up to this point they have all been great, but I think recognize if they came out with a bad one… would you? You people couldn’t even recognize Wing Commander SO for what it was…an add on. I came to the CIC newsgroup and it was accepted fact that Wind Commander SO was Wing Commander 6… what a bunch of crap. Accepted FACT there… FACT… That is what those people thought it was. One person says “When are they going to come out with Wing Commander 6?” and someone attacks them saying “Oh oh my God this discussion about SO not being 6 again???” …. Whatever…

I had victory on that one though, after several posts of mine an actual game designer posted and said he felt it was an add on… HAHA… That must have hurt you guys. I honestly believe that some of you are so wrapped up in Wing Commander that you can’t see things for what they are. I believe Wing Commander SO was an add on and that’s why they packaged it as Wing Commander Prophecy Gold (just one of many examples), I believe there were no Pilgrim Wars in the Wing Commander game universe, and that the movie was crap. But some of you look at me and are just waiting for me to end so you can come pounce at me and spend 3 days figuring out a bunch of if statements to make what you say FACT… That is how this board talks, like everything you believe is fact and that is what alienated me. You may say good riddance but I really was looking forward to becoming a part of this community and wanted to. I think I could have offered some interesting opinions for discussion. But your just too extreme for me. I don’t think you want my opinions, its clear to me when I see someone getting beat up because they think Wing SO was an add on… that he is SOOOO wrong. That it’s a FACT its Wing Commander 6… hey… ITS NOT… When the next Wing Commander game comes out and says 7 on it… then I will believe you, until then its not a fact. Its an opinion, if you want to have that opinion fine. I have mine. I also have my opinion (that I think is shared by the majority of people…maybe not on this board though) that the Wing Commander movie was ANOTHER example of a HORRIBLE conversion from the game to the big screen. I am a FAN of Wing Commander. There is no rule book that says in order to be a fan of something you have to love everything that comes out with its name. I think a lot of you really need to think about that. I think you suffer from a lack of opposite opinion here, and I love hearing the other side. I only pop in now and again however so I may be wrong. However from the times I have been here you seem like you don’t welcome opposing views and worst of all you think your right about everything. Its one thing to show your love for something, maybe you are an objective person that can tell when something he loves has turned to crap… But making fun of reviewers and acting as if your shocked that anyone could possibly fathom that the Wing Commander movie was horrible… You just might be living in the Wing Commander universe because your not in this one. Your opinion can not be trusted or even listened to if can’t acknowledge that the Wing Commander movie is looked upon as crap by the majority of people. On the newsgroup the person talking to me acted as if what he believed was fact and it wasn’t. It is one thing to have a different opinion and that’s great… But this person acted like had ZERO basis for my opinion. How bought you? Do you believe I have no basis for thinking that the Wing Commander movie was a horrible conversion? Do you believe that? Are you going to make fun of me for believing it? I know people have different opinions and I wouldn’t normally think about questioning someone else’s until they question mine. If you honestly love this movie and think it was best from video game to big screen ever then that’s fine. But the way I see a huge bias here its hard to think you came up with your opinions logically and not out of pure love for the past.

Come on “This tightly directed military adventure”?? Tightly directed? “beautiful Saffron Burrows”? “Shot through with submarine-drama suspense, it's one of the best movie adaptations of a hit videogame”

Where on Earth did you get that biased piece of crap review? Look your preaching to the choir… You have no reason to put that horrible review here. This is the choir, if they know when its on there going to watch it if they have time. Your stupid review won’t change their mind. Come on, how about you put up an opposing review that says what a piece of crap it is? I love that line “This Tightly Directed” lol… That’s great. Here is an idea if you do put that review up don’t make fun of it. Just say “The Wing Commander movie will be on at whenever, if you haven’t seen it yet here are two opposing reviews on the movie” without putting a negative review that can be poked at. I’m sure there are positive reviews that can be poked at and made fun of like someone here made fun of the reviewer for even daring to say Wing Commander was one of the worst videogame adaptations ever. I can’t believe you don’t see why people could believe that. I can see why you might like it, but I can’t see why you don’t understand why A LOT of people hate it. You have to make fun of them for some reason.

I apologize if some of the comments I have made about other things I have seen on this board do not pertain to the person that posted this. Perhaps the person who posted that the movie would air was not the same person who made fun of the reviewer earlier for thinking that the movie was bad. I saw that extremely biased review and I just thought back to seeing a reviewer who said it was bad get hammered by someone on this board and I really wanted to say something. So I am sorry if that wasn’t you, still I believe that many people here are just too extreme and are so in love with Wing Commander that they can’t see what most people see. I own all of the Wing Commander games, but I think is a line drawn between honestly liking something because its GOOD and loving something so much you can’t see when its bad. I have heard before that some of you have actually bought Wing Commander Prophecy Gold just because the manual is so much better. Even though you already had Wing Commander Prophecy and also downloaded the ADD ONS you bought it again to get a manual…that is the kind of person that would not understand why someone could hate the Wing Commander Movie. That is extreme. I have them all and if they come up with a compilation I won’t buy it because I don’t need it. That movie is just a bad movie in my opinion. Also it’s a bad movie in the opinion of many others. It’s a bad MOVIE…that’s the keyword, forget that its named Wing Commander, just look at the story, look at the acting, and look at that glued together ship and perhaps you can see where I am coming from. Perhaps if you think about that you can finally see why someone else could do what seems unthinkable to some of you and not like the movie. Further more…it is a movie… honestly, it doesn’t have to fit in with the Wing Commander universe…and I’m saddened to see this place try and fit the two in together. Honestly I would say the same thing if I LIKED the movie. Even if I thought it was a good movie I still object to this board trying to tie the games and the movie in together. Come on, there is a lot more to life. It’s a movie, and it’s a game… Now go outside and play some hockey. :D

Shot said:
You mind me asking where that quote came from?

That review is taken directly from the SCI FI Channel website. It can currently be found here.

Shot said:
Back to my point, when you become so obsessed with something that you can’t possibly find faults with it and know when its become crap then you have a problem.

I'm not sure that having an obsession like that is truly a problem. You made an analogy about you're obsession with Queen. As long as you really enjoy their material, there's nothing wrong with that obsession. However, if you let that obsession adversely affect how you view or treat people with contrary opinions, then it's a problem.

It's the description from SciFi.com, as linked in the original update. But don't let that get in the way of an insanely long rant about how only you should be allowed to have opinions. *Clearly* you're the sane one here.

(It's especially funny, because we all made fun of the description in #WingNut when we saw it:

(LOAF) I guess 'tightly' is as good a synonym for 'poorly' as anything.
)

But don't let that get in the way of the most <strike>poorly</strike> tightly thought out crusade in the universe.

However, if you let that obsession adversely affect how you view or treat people with contrary opinions, then it's a problem.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to live in a world where we're not allowed to decide how to treat people based on what they *think*. I mean, what else is there? How they look? What kind of car they drive?

Back