wing commander model kits

Aplha 1-1

Spaceman
Hey people im new here and first id like to say what a wonderful job the CIC has been doing over the last few years :)
Now the ass kissing is outta the way i was wondering if there would be enough demand for me to create a printable sheet with instructions to make a Hornet out of balsa or whatever. Im a college student on holidays and i was going through all my old WC stuff when i thought id make a ship besed on the blueprints u get with WC1.

My almost complete model is about the same scale as the blueprints so if anyone has any suggestions 'bout the idea just say so :cool:

I always wanted to break down and use those blue prints to do a balsa model of a Raptor but school piled up or other things distracted. I think it's a great idea. If only I can find the time, I'd give it a shot.

if you used a ship whose design was more or less aerodynamic, you could also put servos on the wings and fins and a pusher-prop engine in the engine ports and fly the thing with a radio. I used to fly radio planes all the time. It rocked.

On that note, if you were gonna build such an thing, you could find all of the neccessary items (balsa wood and tools, servos, craft "skin" in different colors, cockpits, engines of varying strength, propellers, fuel tanks, glowfuel and glowplugs (that's actually what they're called, so don't harrass me) radio kits, etc etc . . .) at just about any RC hobby store. I dunno if those are common in *your* area, but if you find one, you're all set.

If you're creative (and your design can handle the weight), you can mount some weapons (small make-shift "bombs" that can be dropped, or a mount for bottle rockets, or maybe a small BB gun) that can be controlled via servos with your radio. Making little "bombs" out of tiny bags of flour to drop from your plane was pretty common back when I was flying.

Welcome to Crius.net. If you don't get around to making blueprints, we might be able to at least use a photograph of your model when you're set.

overmortal said:
if you used a ship whose design was more or less aerodynamic, you could also put servos on the wings and fins and a pusher-prop engine in the engine ports and fly the thing with a radio. I used to fly radio planes all the time. It rocked.

There was a project, two years ago, to do just that, with a Centurion from Privateer as the base craft.

However, except for an update, nothing more has been heard of the project (AFAIK), and RFBurns hasn't really been seen since hist last post on Aug 27 of last year (feels a bit odd, saying that, but it is technically correct).

Last edited by a moderator:
We got some kind of a crazy press release from him a few months back, about how Project Centurion was going to help prove that NASA was hiding UFOs. We whistled, looked the other way and pretended we didn't know him anymore.

I think that would be very cool Aplha - and even if you dont' get around to some blueprints - a picture would be quite interesting to see

Hey sorry this reply took ages but i kinda typo'd my user name and only just picked up on it :(
Anyways shes nearly done now i just need to figure out what to use to model the guns on.

And in reply to overmortal yes i know all about RC aircraft i used to fly 'em around too, and even simpler would be to strap model rocket booster to the back :p
As for a proper payload that may not be so easy at the moment. Explosives and the like are incredibly simple to make but here in Aussie yesterday some guy just outta sydney set off a 100 pound (no not kidding) fertilizer bomb in his car for the heck of it.
Well when i do get pics up they be crappy looking cos i dont have a digi-cam so ill just have to scan em in. just give me a few more days.

Hey, cool project. What fighter are you modeling, anyhow?

And what scale are the blueprints? I'm guessing either 1:34 or 1:42... or somewhere about there...

When you get the project done, perhaps you should consider making a modified design that will fly. And, again, I would suggest pusher prop, because

1) lower speeds make the craft easier to control

2) longevity of your fuel supply

Bandit LOAF said:
We got some kind of a crazy press release from him a few months back, about how Project Centurion was going to help prove that NASA was hiding UFOs. We whistled, looked the other way and pretended we didn't know him anymore.

Wait, you got a press release from him? What is he, AP Network News? [/Sarcasm]

After some thinking i figured i should leave it just a display piece and not actually flyable for seveeral reasons:
1. Damn things to small, its the same scale as the blueprints.
2. In the end it'll look like something even the FLRN would reject.
3. I'm strapped for cash :(

Anyways if anyone wants to convert it into a flyable piece go ahead. I estimate i should be finished with it in another day or so and i maight be able to borrow a friends digi-cam for posting pics. I'm up to slapping on a coat of paint so does anybody know the colour schemes used by Landriech Rebublic ships?

Cool!, I'd love to see some pics, I live near Canberra myself.

I'd like to get your plans for making the craft from balsa (or plastic).

Well hopefully i'll get some plans scanned in and fixed up by tonight at the earliest. As for the materials im using its 1.5mm and .5mm balsa, modeling putty to fix minor gaps, thin aluminium pipes (cant remember the diameter of top of my head) and model aircraft missiles. In hindsight I should have used plasticard instead of balsa as i now have to coat the model before painting to hide the wood texture

LeHah said:
Wait, you got a press release from him? What is he, AP Network News? [/Sarcasm]

CIC is pretty much the primary "press" in regards to all things Wing Commander, so it makes sense, at least in the technical sense of the term.

"Press release" means it's released to the press, not released by the press (well, at least as far as being the original source... obviously the press would technically be releasing it if they publish the item).

Well, if you do decide to create a flying model, I'd sure love to see a WC1 Rapier :) Heck, if you make it, I might buy it off of ya.

Just a teeny tiny problem of my scanner deciding to only scan at 1000:1 scale means the plans wont be in tonight but im still workin at it.

Back