Wing Commander mentioned in PNR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DyNaMiX said:
Film here in Australia. We are pretty cheap. :D
Farscape was filmed in Australia, it still got canned for "rising production costs" :(

Karthik@KANE said:
It doesn't matter where you shoot WC Tv series since it takes place in space....just like Babylon 5! Now lwt's hope the new Kilrathi costumes will at least be the same like WC3!
Please tell me your joking . . . any live-action show/movie/commercial has to be shot somewhere and if your a television show thats just going to use a set, you might as well pick the least expensive place.

C-ya

Dark_Knight said:
no wonder X-files had that weird look to it. ya ever notice how shows made outside of the US look a little strange with the picture? maybe its just me.

X-Files has a weird look to it because, you know, it's supposed to look 'creepy' and 'mysterious' and such...

I probably get blasted for this, but I actually like the WCM Kilrathi. The ones from the games are better, but I liked that they were different and less catlike.

No reason why you should get blasted for that. In fact, people are 'blasted' for blasting WC things they don't like. :)

But myself, I don't really like the movie Kilrathi. :p

If Chris Roberts is in charge of another WC 'film' project (be it TV or a movie or an FMV game), you won't see a 'return' to any old Kilrathi designs... he hasn't yet found one he's happy with.

(And before you all yelp -- the WC3 Kilrathi look neat in super-compressed 320x2whatever video sequences... they look like puppets even on plain video (G))

You'd think with the advent of cheaper, higher end "low-tech" anamatronics, he'd be able to make the Kilrathi look more like he intended in those WC3 production sketches.

I don't think any animatronic or plain puppet would ever make good Kilrathi. They are feline-like, so they must move with grace.

I wonder if it would be feasible through makup and good scaling effect (as in LOTR) or using tall basketball players or something.

I guess CGI would make good Kilrathi too, but would be too expensive for a TV series.

The WC3 ones could move more than their jaw. They were more realistic in the facial department compared to the plastic movie version!

PopsiclePete said:
I guess CGI would make good Kilrathi too, but would be too expensive for a TV series.

Roberts said he wanted to try CG Kilrathi if there was a second Wing Commander movie.

Maybe we should do what they were doing back in the 60/70's with TV shows like Lance Link: Secret Chimp. We need to dress up a bunch of lions, use pulleys and braces to make them appear to walk on their hind legs, and put crap in their mouths to make them "talk". Then we'd have some great looking Kilrathi!

overmortal said:
Maybe we should do what they were doing back in the 60/70's with TV shows like Lance Link: Secret Chimp. We need to dress up a bunch of lions, use pulleys and braces to make them appear to walk on their hind legs, and put crap in their mouths to make them "talk". Then we'd have some great looking Kilrathi!
Just like Wing COmmander 3!

Well, if you expected them to either

1.) Bring real, talking lions to the set
2.) Use genetic manipulation to combine the DNA strands of Lions and Humans to create a human/lion hybrid that might look like a Kilrathi

I'm sorry to say you're going to die a very disappointed man.

LeHah said:
Well, if you expected them to either

1.) Bring real, talking lions to the set
2.) Use genetic manipulation to combine the DNA strands of Lions and Humans to create a human/lion hybrid that might look like a Kilrathi

I'm sorry to say you're going to die a very disappointed man.
If we choose option 2, the we have to take them to acting school!

PopsiclePete said:
I don't think any animatronic or plain puppet would ever make good Kilrathi. They are feline-like, so they must move with grace.

I wonder if it would be feasible through makup and good scaling effect (as in LOTR) or using tall basketball players or something.

Actually, in the long run, CGI becomes cheaper because certain elements are recyclable. Also, costs are really dependent on what studio you hire. If Digital Anvil is still willing to do special effects for motion picture projects, I'm sure they can do the Kilrathi, and it was their low costs (and the Luxembourg shooting location) that helped bring the costs of the WC movie down.

I myself wouldn't mind cheesy looking Star Trek type make up. Make the Kilrathi seem a little more human, which isn't too far from the bodies of the WC3/4 Kilrathi.

Digital Anvil is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft... and is not involved with Chris Roberts in anyway.

They weren't *hired* to do third party SFX before... they did the movie because Chris Roberts was in charge of the company (the fact that so much work was dedicated to the movie FX instead of various games supposedly made MS very unhappy).

But no, it's doubtful that Microsoft would hire out an X-Box studio to do inexpensive 3D effects for someone. :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back