Wing Commander Meme of the Day: I'll Just Wait Here (May 20, 2018)

Did it even load on an i386?

I remember that it loaded faster on my DX2-66 with 24 megs of RAM than it did on a friend's P133 with 8 megs...

Of course in-flight was much smoother on the P133; regardless of the amount of memory.

The poster that came with Wing3 said: "Wing Commander III really flies on an Intel Pentium".

I think at the time I bought the game, the first Pentium with 66 MHz was just released.

It loaded. Took twenty minutes for it to load up the 2-second clip of Blair going up the stairs from the Flight Deck to Launch Control, but it did load...

Strike that - I think my family had their 486 by then; I want to say we got that bad boy when we wanted to run The Seventh Guest. We didn't have a 386 for very long, IIRC.

I first tried WC3 on a 486 DX/2 @ 50Mhz with 12MB RAM and 512KB Cirrus Logic GFX card. Poor performance all around.

After frying the motherboard, I upgraded to a Pentium 133Mhz with 16MB RAM and a 2MB S3 Virge GFX card. Both WC3, WC4 and Privateer 2 were smooth as silk after that.

Did it even load on an i386?

It loaded. Took twenty minutes for it to load up the 2-second clip of Blair going up the stairs from the Flight Deck to Launch Control, but it did load...

Strike that - I think my family had their 486 by then; I want to say we got that bad boy when we wanted to run The Seventh Guest. We didn't have a 386 for very long, IIRC.

Back in the day, I installed both WC3 and WC4 on our 386 16mhz sx PC just to see if it would work... It ran very very slowly. Amazingly the actual space flight was almost flyable, but the videos were pretty slow playing. The trick was that you had to use the win3.1 dos mode and set up a huge virtual memory file in windows on the harddrive.

The trick was that you had to use the win3.1 dos mode and set up a huge virtual memory file in windows on the harddrive.
Ouch. Just reading this and the thought of actually doing that hurts... :D

Back