Wing Commander IV's Not Really Lost Scenes (August 11, 2010)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Since we posted the entire run of videos from the Wing Commander IV, we decided we also needed the scenes that for one reason or another didn't make it onto that project... so here they are, extracted directly from Wing Commander IV PSX! The download pack includes the "Bearcat factory" scene mysteriously missing from WCIV DVD and the three alternate 'space' versions of the Tyr briefings found only on the Playstation release.

--
Original update published on August 11, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference I could find with SC_0410A.wve.avi was Eisen saying 'target extraction instead of 'ground extraction', and the 'target' sounded dubbed. I take it this is because of the lack of ground missions in the PlayStation version?

Edit: Oh, your description implies that already. The other two briefing videos have a similar re-dub.

The only difference I could find with SC_0410A.wve.avi was Eisen saying 'target extraction instead of 'ground extraction', and the 'target' sounded dubbed. I take it this is because of the lack of ground missions in the PlayStation version?

Edit: Oh, your description implies that already. The other two briefing videos have a similar re-dub.

That's because the audio isn't really different... It's the map table that's different. Check out the mission spec animations.

Oh, whoops, I don't really look at the animations that much. But Eisen's speech is different in a few parts, whenever there's mention of the 'ground', etc.

The Mac version includes the Bearcat factory scene. Seeing the factory work gave me a lot of insight into the universe. Whenevery I read about factories in the books, I could picture those robotic arms pumping out those fighters.

It seems rather haphazard having the production line just dump the top of the cockpit on the rest of the ship like that. I would hope that it's properly welded and sealed afterwards.

It seems rather haphazard having the production line just dump the top of the cockpit on the rest of the ship like that. I would hope that it's properly welded and sealed afterwards.

I find that kind of scene extremely interesting. Factory layouts have changed dramatically over the last several decades, so predicting how they might look in 700 years is a feat. Presumably if you have robots and nanotechnology that can very quickly repair ships in combat, fastening (things already aren't welded anymore) and sealing would be trivial.

Hmm, I suppose. It just seems that the robot arm that places the top section on the remaining craft moves very fast. As precise as computers and machines can be, at least with today's technology, industrial environments can make fine placements quite tricky.

Again acknowledging that we only have today's technology to work by, I recall a university research project I was working on where I was programming a precision microscope stage. Despite the accuracy of the mechanics (thousandths of a micron), inaccuracies could accumulate and the co-ordinate system could become misaligned after long use or rapid movements.

Back