Wing Commander iv

Yes, thats the one I have. Although I have no idea whether or not there is any other version.

There are 2 DVD versons.

There's one that came with Creative DVD drive kits, from the 2x kit to the 5x kit, which is on a double-sided single density disc, and has movie-quality FMV (both sound and visual quality). Until recently, this version was only playable on systems with the DXr2/3 DVD decoder card, as when the disc came out there weren't really any DVD playing standards, and more than a few systems of the time (this was right at the beginning of the Pentium series of CPUs, IIRC) were somewhat marginal on firepower to play the video scenes well.

The other version is apparently some kind of OEM disc that came with some Gateway systems, and is just the Win95 version of WC4, with 6 CDs shoehorned onto one double density, single-sided disc, with the non-data side of the disc having an image of the Project triangle thunderbolt insignia. It doesn't have theater-quality FMV.

Both of them, however, are "interactive", and have the same gameplay, so use of that word doesn't really differentiate them any.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell what that one is. I'd hold off until you were sure what you're getting, but maybe someone wiser than myself can chime in.

My double sided DVD came in that kind of sleeve. it looks like it might be the one. but to be sure i'd ask the person selling it

Looks exactly like the one I got when I received my Creative Labs DXR Encore Kit (which I only ordered from the US to get the High Res WC4)

Well, I would e-mail the bidder for further info and confirmation, but that cover is, as far as I know, the "official" cover for the double-sided, single-layer Wing Commander 4 DVD, i.e. the version with high quality MPEG2 video segments and AC3 audio.

When I ordered my copy of this version from E-Bay last year, I received the DVD enclosed in that same cover.

I would just check with the bidder and ask him to confirm that it is indeed the double sided version -- the bidder can do this by playing both sides of the DVD in a set top DVD player (assuming that the bidder has one) in turn or alternatively playing each side in a software DVD player on a pc. If the bidder is able cycle through high quality video segments from the game, then it is the double sided DVD and not the single sided, single layer version, which is just the CD version packed onto one DVD without the MPEG2 video segments.

Cheers,

BrynS

Perhaps this is an old and dying thread, but I thought I'd share this word of caution with everybody here.

I don't remember where in this thread, but someone mentioned that a certain eBay member by the name of "valentinez" was selling the DVD version of WC-IV. I eagerly purchased one from her back on Dec.16, '04 and paid via Paypal. I then eagerly waited for my DVD to arrive .... and waited .... and waited ....

Several emails to the seller went unanswered for about 10 days with regards to confirmation that the item was shipped and that she satisfactorially received payment. I finally got some excuse that the package was sent and that I should receive it shortly. Now I know that USPS priority mail does not take 2 weeks to just travel down the coast of California. Hence, I told her that I'd give the package until Jan.5 (I was going to be out of town over New Year's anyway) before I took appropriate action.

Once I got back on Jan.5, I found my mailbox empty. I emailed the seller again about this and she said she'd email the package the next day - Jan.6. Again, a package from Santa Clarita does not take 18 days to get down to San Diego. So I emailed her again last night asking what is going on ... and again didn't get a response.

Well, guess what? I received the envelope - yes, envelope - this afternoon. Now maybe it's just me, but I would not send a DVD in an envelope (if at all) if it weren't in a jewel case. But what really bothered me was the fact that the envelope was postmarked January 15 - last Saturday. So if the envelope were sent from Santa Clarita via priority mail and it got here the next working day (taking MLK Day into consideration) and with all other attempts to get my DVD over the last 30 days, that says something about the sellers responsibility.

I'm sure many of you have had good dealings with this vendor, but I felt it important to let those of you who are thinking of buying your DVD from this vendor what I had to go through to get my all-time favorite game. I would recommend staying on top, under, and besides this vendor so that you get your product promptly.

Caveat Emptor.

The sleeve is identical to my double sided DVD one, but I'd definitely ask the seller.

Back