wing commander IV on DVD?

kg11

Spaceman
2 questions

1. does anybody know where I can get WC4 DVD version?

2. Is it worth it? Besides probably costing more, it seems that there are alot of issues with this version. Even with the patch that lets you use it with any DVD-ROM drive, you there still seems to be issues with the video card needing to be a certain brand, needing 98 not just 98 mode in XP and problems during install and playback of the cut scenes.

Also saw an issue with VGA color, but then saw DVD version took care of that?

....so wow! lots of issues. How many people out here have this version and are happy with it. Would you reccomend it.

Are there enough adaquate patches to make it run with out problems?

1. does anybody know where I can get WC4 DVD version?

eBay is your best bet. Make sure you get the double-sided version. It was originally packaged only with certain Creative Labs DVD decoders some years back... there was no commercial release, but there are plenty of OEM copies floating around.

2. Is it worth it? Besides probably costing more, it seems that there are alot of issues with this version. Even with the patch that lets you use it with any DVD-ROM drive, you there still seems to be issues with the video card needing to be a certain brand, needing 98 not just 98 mode in XP and problems during install and playback of the cut scenes.

I would say that it absolutely is -- the improvement in video quality is incredible. As far as I can tell, the patches that have been developed work all the time -- it just takes a little more work getting them set up.

WoEven with the patch that lets you use it with any DVD-ROM drive, you there still seems to be issues with the video card needing to be a certain brand, needing 98 not just 98 mode in XP and problems during install and playback of the cut scenes.

For *most* people, I think I can say that as long as you apply the patch to play the video sans dxr card and you apply win98 or 95 compatability mode, the game runs flawlesly.

I've never heard of it needing a specific video card. Though there are issues with the software DVD player PowerDVD. THough there's a workaround that works on my PC though if the issues persist simply removing powerDVD usually works.

Is it worth it? Definitely.

count me in as a happy wc 4 dvd edition owner :) . the only problem i had was solved "easily" :D with ' Run WC4 DVD Easy'. i have also played the regular cd version and as AD wrote above: "Is it worth it? Definitely."

For *most* people, I think I can say that as long as you apply the patch to play the video sans dxr card and you apply win98 or 95 compatability mode, the game runs flawlesly.

I've never heard of it needing a specific video card. Though there are issues with the software DVD player PowerDVD. THough there's a workaround that works on my PC though if the issues persist simply removing powerDVD usually works.

The original poster probably saw how the game was designed to require the Creative Labs dxr decoder board. However, gulikoza's patch eliminates the need for this. The game also runs fine in XP compatibility mode. Windows 98 is not needed.

WC IV DVD-ROM Price

I am the original poster of WCIV DVD version Info. My question is how much did most of you who own this pay? Seems that this game is up in the $80-90 when shipping is figured in.

Many have said worth it over CD....but...is it worth the $60+ price difference. MPG2 scenes ....convienece of 1 disk...game play any different....?

Just wondering what is a fair price?

...sounds like no problems in XP and all is good there

I am the original poster of WCIV DVD version Info. My question is how much did most of you who own this pay? Seems that this game is up in the $80-90 when shipping is figured in.

Many have said worth it over CD....but...is it worth the $60+ price difference. MPG2 scenes ....convienece of 1 disk...game play any different....?

Just wondering what is a fair price?

...sounds like no problems in XP and all is good there

Game play is pretty much the same. One difference is that it's already the win85 version so at least you don't need to apply that patch.

Considering some of us bought the the DXR kits just for this game means we pretty much put down 500 dollars for the DVD when it was new. If you keep your eyes open there might be a cheaper auction though the game is in demand.

The price has ranged considerably over the last few years. $80-90 is on the high side, although there have been fewer copies available lately.

Well, I guess that the DVD Version wasn't released
in germany. So I won't be able to find it in german ebay.
They try to sell WC Kilrathi Saga for 300€ there. Import.

Well, I guess that the DVD Version wasn't released
in germany. So I won't be able to find it in german ebay.
They try to sell WC Kilrathi Saga for 300€ there. Import.

I bought my copy at german eBay without a problem (around 50€).
It's just not always available.

Keep trying, it's worth it! ;)

Back