message each time it goes to a movie segment, telling me it cant find
the file (it looks like it is looking in the wrong place, but I can't
figure out how to change it). The movies are there and run fine
separately. I have a Gateway 450, with windows 98. Is
this the problem? Are there any patches to get this to work? The
bootdisk in the readme file doesn't help and anyways the game has to run
under windows (this must be a newer, DVD version only). The readme file
is a bit of a joke.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is. In fact I tried it in my older ACER computer that only has a cd-rom player, figuring maybe my system is just too new for this program. The CD-Rom wouldn't even read the disk, kept kicking out that the CD player was not ready. Not that problem with my Gateway.

I am surprised that nobody seems to have this program.

What brand DVD drive do you have? I have heard of similar problems before with Toshiba drives, though I don't recall if it was Toshiba-specific or just a problem with all non-Creative drives.

It is a Panasonic DVD III. I have had the computer for about a year now.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Thomas

Shoot... The game DEFINATELY works with creative DVD hardware MPEG decoders, there is a way to make it work with other hardware/software but it takes some fiddling and I can't really remember how to do it.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

BTW, is this WCIV DVD the full game found elsewhere under just WCIV?

What was the reason this was issued, if the full game was already out?

Just wondering (nothing works yet, will try again tonight).

I'm fairly sure it was the decoder....
The DVD was released bundled with some Creative DVD-ROM+Decoders. So it is tailored to work with it... Though some work will make this work with other drives (I think it may say in the alt.games.wing-commander FAQ)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Yes, this is the full game. The difference is that the DVD version has much higher quality sound and FMV and a slightly altered HUD.

WC4-DVD is AFAIK decoder sensitive, not drive sensitive (no personal experience)
As for the 'hack': It was suggested that you associate VOB files in win.ini or system.ini (forgot which one) with your DVD player. On most cases this was reported to work

Well, on a hunch (meaning this doesn't involve getting your hands dirty with one of the .ini files), you would start up Windows Explorer, find a VOB file (should be some on the WC4 discs), ctrl-right-click it, and select Open With. Make sure the checkbox that says Always Use This Program is checked and then double-click on your DVD movie player. That should be it....

Back