Wing Commander IV DVD

Unforgiven

Spaceman
Is this still sold somewhere? I'd really like to have it, but that requires a place to buy it. If anyone has it and wants to sell it to me that's fine too, preferably if you're in/near the Netherlands.
Thanks.

It's shipped with Creative Encore kits 2x-5x. Try an auction site, or as at your nl.markt.comp.games.somethingorother newsgroup.

Kris there were 2 different types right? the double sided and normal one. Now I ask you were they both shiped with that dvd or were they shiped with different versions or what?

The ones that shipped with the DVD kits must be all double sided ones, because they're MPEG-2 versions. They're not going to ship the plain version with a DVD kit. <G>

I don't know where the single sided one is from or where to get it.

I of course want the double-sided/MPEG-2 version. Besides not having to disk jockey I don't think the single-sided has any advantage to the normal version, which I already own.
I knew it shipped with that kit, but it doesn't anymore. I wouldn't mind a bundle because I don't actually have a DVD drive yet :D
Was it ever shipped in retail btw?
I will try the newsgroups, was going to do that anyway. I got Kilrathi Saga there, so maybe I can get this there too.

I was just wondering, does the DVD require a MPEG2 decoder card like the Creative Dxr3, or will software work and if so, will it give enough performance (on a Pentium III 600MHz 256MB RAM, nVidia GeForce DDR)?

The game only works with a few cards. The Dxr2 and the Hollywood+, but not the Dxr3. You can play the movies individually with any setup, but not the game.

Damn! That basically voids my question, because buying outdated cards is not my greatest hobby, and watching the moviews without playing the game isn't great either. Stupid that the Dxr3 is not compatible with the Dxr2. That's Creative for you alright!

Since what I'm reading is that such cards are basically obsolete for computers with any kind of speed (and since my PC has no problem playing normal downloaded MPEG2 movies, I'm counting mine is fast enough), I'm starting to think maybe all this is too big an investment for a game I basically already have.
So I think I'll just stick with the CD version.
If anyone thinks they can convince me otherwise, feel free to do so.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
(...) I'm starting to think maybe all this is too big an investment for a game I basically already have.
If anyone thinks they can convince me otherwise, feel free to do so.
I agree with you...
While having the cut-scenes in DVD quality is certainly cool, because they're just plain awesome, investing on a separate DVD player just for playing a game you already own, is a bit exaggerated...

But in Italian we say "To the heart you cannot command", if you really love WC to that point, then God bless you... :)

What you could do, to avoid the purchase of an extra DVD player, is play the game on CD, and after each mission, save the game, exit, and load up the appropriate subsequent cut-scenes from the DVD... then load your game and fly the next mission.
A bit annoying, isn' it? <g>

Originally posted by Unforgiven
I'm starting to think maybe all this is too big an investment for a game I basically already have.

...'cept for 1 thing: If you have the DVD version, you don't hafta play "disc jockey", shuffling discs 1-6 into/out of yer CD drive. What a pain!...

Though that only becomes a problem if you play through several missions at a sitting. I haven't had that kind of spare time in ages. :(

Best, Raptor

Maybe somebody knows how to solve this Problem.

I bought A DVD Version for 6$ (hehe). Now i started to play the game and i can view some scenes but not all. When i have to make a decision an error occours. "Movie cannot be found" or something like this. The next movie will be played find... only the movies where i have to make a decision are errornous.
Somebody know how to solve that Problem?

I got a
Soundblaster Live! 1024
(only software decoder for Mpeg2)
Duron 750 MHZ
ATI Radeon

Back