Wing Commander IV DVD Win7 x64

M

MaddinW

Good day everyone. I happen to own the Wing Commander IV edition that was released on a DVD. I installed it and got it to work, but the video happens to freeze after every point of descision. I start up the game, skip the intro and immediately get the choice to either help the veteran or...I dont know what the other choice is, doesnt matter I think. Anyway, the video freezes at the first frame of the consequtive movie clip. After making another choice, I see Colonel Blair grabbing someones throat in a still image. By pressing Esc I can manage to give me the possibility to decide, but nothing elseI have tried several ways to get it going: I have tried various patches, video fixes and codecs. I have installed and registered the Mpeg2decfilter.ax, I have tried running it in several compatibility modes and copied every version of dxmci that there is into the Wing Commander IV directory. I cannot execute the dxmci config due to the fact that Microsoft decided to disable the support for 16-bit applications, so there is no way I can run it. I have deinstalled Nero Media Hub and my (beloved) VLC-Media Player because I have heard that these programs claim to have a right to play .vob files and interfere with the codec Wing Commander uses. Out of pure desperation I also ran the Windwos XP Codec Checkup utility. It shows me that 4 codecs are installed. Here is the link to a screenshot of the program: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4620/codecsh.png .I tried to paste it here, but for some reason I can't upload pictures in this forum. Do you have any idea what I can do to run it? Im quite helpless in this regard because nothing I tried worked.

Thanks in advance.

I remember on my Win 7 64 bit version that I needed a specific version of AC3Filter(the latest may work ok) to get the cinematics to play without issues.

I think this is the usual video doesnt work problem, which I believe is due to the AC3 filter, have a search around the forums (afraid I can't remember which topic) and there might be a response. You've registered the Mpeg2DecFilter.ax properly?

I think so. How can I find out if Mpeg2Dec is registered properly? The Video Decoder Checkup Utility displays that its there, but I think that there is a difference being installed and registered. I could not find information concerning a method for checking the correct registration of Mpeg2Dec.

I will try it tomorrow. I wont get to it today. Any idea how to check the current state?

I've installed WC4 2 DVD and it works fine.
Videos working and no crashes until now but theres one problem left,i cant skip the movies by pressing ESC. I like the vids but its sometimes boring watch them over and over again because starting a saved game.

Any suggestions?

Oh and btw,is there a way to start the game in svga?

in my experience all video related issues with Wc4 DVD and others games and files can all be solved by installing the combined community codec pack
use the " no players option and check register with 32 bit windows media player
you will never have another issue playing in game or out of game video or audio again
www.cccp-project.net/

Back