Wing Commander IV DVD version!

N

Nostalgia fan

I found a place selling the DVD version of WC IV! I'm thinking of buying it but I just want to know if it's a windows version.

Example The Kilarthi Saga was ported over to Windows 95 so you won't get those dreaded runtime errors. I tried running the demo for WC3 but after the setup ran the 3D test I was kicked to dos with a runtime error!

So is WC IV DVD runs on windows or is it made to run on dos windows box?!

Thanks!

It's Windows. To play the game you do need a rather specific setup: you need a Creative Labs DxR 2 MPEG-2 decoder (included in the Encore kits). A RealMagic Hollywood+ will do too. A DxR 3 might work (not entirely sure) if you use the Hollywood+ drivers instead of the Creative Labs drivers.

If you just want it to watch the videos, you just need a (any) DVD drive. No decoder board or specific movie player required. We have an index of the movies at https://www.wcnews.com/articles/ somewhere.

Do make sure you're getting a double-sided DVD. There's also a single-sided WC4 DVD, but that's just the old CD version on a single disc.

Last edited:
That's the one you want. You should get it off ebay though. It'd be a lot cheaper probably and it'd be exactly the same (WC4 DVD was only ever released with the Creative Encore Kits 2x-5x, so every copy is essentially second hand, even the one Starvector is selling)

Anyway the nostalgia fan was me!

But I can't seem to find any in EBAY! by the way the website said that it's sealed, but the weird thing is why is the CD rom version much expansive?!

Back