Wing Commander IV DVD Version Movie files

alucard

Rear Admiral
Hello,
I am kind of despaired. I own the WC IV DVD Version.
Everytime I try to play it under WIN95/98/XP the game starts, but does not play the videos !

I received an error message : Missing file F:\vob\sc0010a.vob
Then the next movie is missing and so on. After that the mission briefing screen appears and the mission against Maniac starts.

My problem therefor is : I can play the game, but I cannot watch the videos.

The video files are okay, i tested them with WINDVD. My DVD Rom is a Compaq 6x and it is drive F:

Any guesses ?

Thx alucard

Originally posted by alucard
Hello,
I am kind of despaired. I own the WC IV DVD Version.
Everytime I try to play it under WIN95/98/XP the game starts, but does not play the videos !
Thx alucard

It is not possible to play the videos in game without the hardware DVD decoder card that the game was shipped with.

Thx

Thank you for your fast reply. Do you know which DVD Player the WCIV DVD play in game ?

(Or has every publisher such as Creative Labs limit the DVD version to their DVD Hardware ? If so how I find out who published my WC IV DVD Version(it isn´t wirtten on the booklet) ?)
Thx alucard

You need the DXr2 Decoder Card from Creative. I think the Dxr3 works as well and I have heard of a hollywood decoder card that works. The Dxr2 is not a great card for Winxp if you use it, imho. Of course that is why I am getting a win9x machine set for just Wing Commander.

Re: Thx

Thank you for your fast reply. Do you know which DVD Player the WCIV DVD play in game ?

None. Well I can get the first movie to play, but as soon as you have to make a decision that breaks. There is no known software that allows you to play all movies.

(Or has every publisher such as Creative Labs limit the DVD version to their DVD Hardware ?

The publisher had been Daylight Productions. They did limit the game to that specific hardware as it had been the only one to be capable to play back the movies past then. In theory they used a standard (MCI calls). Mark Day (from said corp) said that they had it running with the Zoran DVD player (a software player) as well. I tried several versions of that player to no avail.

If so how I find out who published my WC IV DVD Version(it isn´t wirtten on the booklet) ?)
Thx alucard

See above. The reason is probably that it was _NEVER_ sold outside of that Creative kit.

I hope I understand you right. All I need to do is, get me that DXr2 Decoder Card from Creative and I should be able to get WC4DVD running ?
(or does the creative kit also contains a specific DVD Player I need to play that game?)

By the way Did you every got it work completely ?

Wow if that would work out, then it has been a very expensive Game: First the WC4 DVD, second the DVD Player and third the Decoder Card ! But that game is worth every Euro :)

I hope I understand you right. All I need to do is, get me that DXr2 Decoder Card from Creative and I should be able to get WC4DVD running ?
(or does the creative kit also contains a specific DVD Player I need to play that game?)

As I don't have any of that hardware I can only tell what others reported. No, the card will suffice, you don't need the drive. BUT it looks like the card won't work in Win XP, ...

By the way Did you every got it work completely ?

No. I don't have a PCI slot for the card nor do I have any spare interrupts for it to take.

Ahh very well, then I ´ll get me that decoder card via Ebay or so. Thank you all for your help. I´ll let you know, when I have success in getting that WCIVDVD started.
Bye alucard

Re: Re: Thx

Originally posted by cff
The reason is probably that it was _NEVER_ sold outside of that Creative kit.

As a matter of fact, I remember seeing it years back on sale with another game bundled to it. This was in my pre-WC days so I lost the chance to get it. Funny how I remember that and yet Algebra leaves my head right after class

Re: Re: Re: Thx

Originally posted by Timmy the Tooth
As a matter of fact, I remember seeing it years back on sale with another game bundled to it. This was in my pre-WC days so I lost the chance to get it. Funny how I remember that and yet Algebra leaves my head right after class

What you saw most likely had been the 6cd version or the single sided DVD version (that DVD version only has the 6 CDs on one DVD, no increase in movie quality).

I think Kalisto bought Daylight Productions back in 2000.

Starvector is known for picking up Wing Commander games in vast quantities, it's possible that they got a lot of 'real' WC4 DVDs. You can always ask him if you want to be sure.

I finally got it working ! :)

Allright, to get Wing Commander IV DVD completely working, you ´ll need the Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore Dxr2 card.
The card works fine under Win95, Win98 and ME. Win 2000 is a bit harder to get it running and under WinXP I could not achieve anything.

I bought the Dxr2 card and the DVD-Drive via Ebay Germany and I paid around 18 Euros. It´s worth every Euro I invested. The movies are awesome in comparison to the original DOS-Version and also to the Playstation - Version.

Even the sound is much clearer.

For everybody who likes this games as much as I do ==> Go and buy that card !

So now I am going back to play WCIV. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Thank all of you who helped me.

Back