Wing Commander IV [DVD] inquiry ...

kamiry

Spaceman
I bought a wing commander iv (dvd version). But it is a single side DVD and the quality of the movies are the same as CD's.

Is there 2 version of Wing Commander IV [DVD] out there?
Because I would like to buy the Wing Commander IV DVD (With DVD movie quality)

How can I know what version is it ????

Please advice.
Thanks!

My WC4 DVD is two sided. They were usually packed with DVD drives. Sounds like you got ripped off by someone with a DVD burner that put the CD version on a DVD.

:confused:

I bought it from ebay and it looks like a original game from Origin with remark of "Not for resale". Packed in a CD box only (without manual)

I just found from other forum that, there are 2 version of WC IV [DVD]
-One with only 1 sided with same quality of CD version
-The other with 2 sided and with dvd quality movie.

Thanks for reply.

-_-

CD box? You mean a jewel case? WC4 DVD only shipped with the Creative Labs Encore kits, and it's in a CD sleeve.

There are two versions. The single sided version is just the CD version on DVD. It's not a ripoff or a pirate, I bought mine from an online shop.

Originally posted by Ripper
My WC4 DVD is two sided. They were usually packed with DVD drives. Sounds like you got ripped off by someone with a DVD burner that put the CD version on a DVD.
:confused:

While it is possible that someone did this, there indeed is a single sided DVD version of WC4 that is identical to WC4 CD version. At least my copy doesn't look like it would be homemade at all.

So it is pretty good to have them on just one disk, even if it's the same quality of the normal version. The PSX WC IV comes on 4 CDs

To reiterate...

There are two versions of Wing Commander IV DVD. The two-sided version was included with various early Creative Labs DVD kits (dxr2, etc.). It comes in a cardboard slipcover and only works with a Creative DXR or Hollywood RealMagic pass-through card.

There is also a 'single-sided' version which is the same as the Win95 release of WCIV. It was included with various PC kits (ie, with a Gateway computer). A stockpile of these has made it to online stores, and they sell for very cheaply.

I don't have a lot of experience w/ DVD's (well, almost none). So, here's the question: Does a double-sided DVD mean you have to eject it, flip it over, and reinsert it to get at what's on the other side (for so I would assume)?..

Originally posted by Preacher
I don't have a lot of experience w/ DVD's (well, almost none). So, here's the question: Does a double-sided DVD mean you have to eject it, flip it over, and reinsert it to get at what's on the other side (for so I would assume)?..

Entirely depends on the drive.
AFAIK no DVD drives exist so far that got 2 reading heads however, so the answer should be yes. You have to turn the DVD around once. (That is also the way to distinguish the DVDs) The single sided one has artwork on one side, a double sided one cannot for obvious reason.

I don't know - but I will say the WCIV DVD (2 sided) has some excellent quality video on it (haven't been able to actually *play* it, but the VOBs play just fine in WinDVD).

The downside to the DVD version is that you don't get all the nice background story and stuff - the DVD I have only has the PDF playguide. I guess I'll have to hunt around for the Wing Command PSX version if I even want a chance at playing it...

Back