Wing Commander IV DVD GOG doesn't run

Blade72

Spaceman
Hi guys,
I've already read the other posts and guides; my problem seems quite different:
Double clicking the wc4dvd.exe file does nothing, nothing happens, no error messages, no error windows, nothing (wc4dvd.exe appears for 1/2 second on Task Manager, then disappears).
My pc is old but I think enough powerful for a 1996 game!
Athlon Xp 2000+ 1,7 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, Ati Radeon 3850 HD, Windows Xp Home Premium SP3.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    54.2 KB · Views: 133
If you have checked the compatability modes on the exes and such, and you have disabled any firewalls/antivirus software for at least the first-run and you are still having issues, the first thing I would recommend would be to redownload the game from GOG just to make sure you didn't get a corrupted or incomplete download.

If you have checked the compatability modes on the exes and such, and you have disabled any firewalls/antivirus software for at least the first-run and you are still having issues, the first thing I would recommend would be to redownload the game from GOG just to make sure you didn't get a corrupted or incomplete download.

Hi,
I redownloaded it twice, first time manually, second time with GOG downloader.
Integrity check passed.
Installed with Norton 360 deactivated (both firewall and antivirus deactivated).
Checked win 98/win Me compatability, 640x480 mode, even 256 colors mode, nothing worked.
Checked the video and audio codecs for corrupption, bad installation and such, seems all ok.

I wonder if it has something to do with Open GL, because also Wing Commander Saga (OpenGl based game) doesn't run.

I wonder if it has something to do with Open GL, because also Wing Commander Saga (OpenGl based game) doesn't run.

Yes that's possible, though it concerns me that the game just isn't running at all.

Try downloading https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/attachments/dwrap-1-0-1-test4-zip.5618/ and unzipping it into your WC4 folder. Basically, this will make the game use DirectDraw instead of OpenGL as a renderer. If your problem is OpenGL related, you should see an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's possible, though it concerns me that the game just isn't running at all.

Try downloading https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/attachments/dwrap-1-0-1-test4-zip.5618/ and unzipping it into your WC4 folder. Basically, this will make the game use DirectDraw instead of OpenGL as a renderer. If your problem is OpenGL related, you should see an improvement.

Hi,
I've installed it into WC4 folder, but nothing new happens; wc4dvd.exe appears briefly (1/2 or 1/3 sec) on Windows Task Manager but nothing happens.
May be I can try some debug tools, but I don't know how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

Do you have ThreatFire installed? During my tests, i discovered ThreatFire prevented WC4 to run completely. Disabling wasn't enough either, a full uninstall was required.

Hey,

Do you have ThreatFire installed? During my tests, i discovered ThreatFire prevented WC4 to run completely. Disabling wasn't enough either, a full uninstall was required.

Hi,
No, I have Norton 360 Premier Edition.
I disabled the antivirus during the download of Wing Commander IV and also disabled the firewall before installing it.
Of course I disabled it before playing.
I've also tried Game Booster 3.4, deactivating many services and freeing memory, but with no luck.

Hi,
No, I have Norton 360 Premier Edition.
I disabled the antivirus during the download of Wing Commander IV and also disabled the firewall before installing it.
Of course I disabled it before playing.
I've also tried Game Booster 3.4, deactivating many services and freeing memory, but with no luck.
Have you tried going into the exe properties and choosing run as administrator?

Have you tried going into the exe properties and choosing run as administrator?
Hi,
I boot the pc as an administrator account.
Thanks for your answers, but I asked GOG to replace Wing Commander IV with another game.
Bye.

Hey,

Anti-virus is still my best guess at this point, as I saw the exact same behavior on my machine with ThreatFire installed. Disabling ThreatFire did not fix it, I had to uninstall it completely.

Still, I can run some tests with you and try to get to the bottom of it, if you're still interested.

Hi,
I boot the pc as an administrator account.
Thanks for your answers, but I asked GOG to replace Wing Commander IV with another game.
Bye.

Not the same thing if you're on Vista on Win7, applications will still run as if not on an administrator account unless you specifically run as an administrator.

I did install the game at work today out of curiosity; I did find I had to install ffdshow before movie audio would work and I think I had to run as administrator too (the first time I ran the game it crashed out, the second time I ran as admin).

Hey,

Anti-virus is still my best guess at this point, as I saw the exact same behavior on my machine with ThreatFire installed. Disabling ThreatFire did not fix it, I had to uninstall it completely.

Still, I can run some tests with you and try to get to the bottom of it, if you're still interested.

Hi,
thanks for your answers but I give up and get a substitute game.
Bye

Back