Wing Commander IV DVD Edition

Jan

Spaceman
Hi all,

i´ve heard that a DVD edition of wing commander 4 was released some time ago. It should contain high resolution videos and other stuff. Does someone know more about it???
Or am i wrong!?

cu

Jan

Yes there is a DVD edition wciv... It has MPEG2 cutscenes with Dolby digital sound... and thats mainly the only difference. There are some compatibility issues though. It may be hard the get the videos to play in game unless you have a creative dxr2 or 3 or 5 mpeg decoder card in your system (spaceflight will work fine). Oh yeah and its the windows version of wc4.

But beware of the DVD out there that is just the original 6 CD's burned on a DVD.

Yeah, I just popped it in last week and couldn't get the videos to run under XP. So I'm playing the CD version. Ah well, same difference!

There's a DVD of Wing Commander IV with beautiful high resolution movies... unfortunately, it requires a specific piece of hardware to actually be used to play the game.

It's worth having if you can find it, though -- because you can watch the movies independantly, and they're absolutely amazing looking compared to the CD version.

It's worth noting there's also a promotional WC4 DVD that's simply the standard WC4 game's six CDs printed on one DVD.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
It's worth noting there's also a promotional WC4 DVD that's simply the standard WC4 game's six CDs printed on one DVD.

Yup -- the one you're looking for is a double-sided disc... the 'bad' one is a single sided disc.

Just some notes on WCIV DVD:

Yes, it has more "cleaner" cut scenes and audio due to the DVD format.
And yes, it can run on drives other than the creative encore drives, but it depends on your system setup.
One other main difference though is the cut scenes. You may notice, the audio is slightly different (you'll hear certain dialogue that was subdued in the background in CD version at the forefront in the DVD version and vice versa) and,
there are certain camera angles that are changed during the cutscenes and often extra seconds of "deleted footage" added to these cutscenes. (I know a few extra seconds doesn't really matter, but it is noticeable, especially during the opening cutscene.)

And one more thing, I have not found it too be compatible with Windows XP, but does run on both versions of Win98 and ME.

Speradon said:
Yeah, I just popped it in last week and couldn't get the videos to run under XP. So I'm playing the CD version. Ah well, same difference!

You did try the compatibility option under the executive file prefrences, right? If it runs in XP using Win98 or 95 compatibility, then I would trying getting it myself.

The best place to find WC4 is on eBay. There's always a few people selling it at one time, and I've noticed some selling the DVD version. But, like it was stated earlier, make sure it isn't just six CDs put onto one DVD.

yeah my uncle has the dvd version, ive never actually played it as i dont have a dvd drive but he never said much about it to me so it must not be anything to ring home about

The quality is a HUGE leap up, but nothing else has changed, and when it was released on DVD it was already beginning to look dated.

It's definitely worth having if you like WC and you can get it to work. I have both the CD-ROM and the DVD-ROM versions, and the quality of the cutscenes on the DVD version is way better than the CD version. It's closer to the quality you'd expect from a DVD movie, but not quite.

I've been able to get it to work with Windows 98 and ME, but so far I've had no luck with XP, although I finally did find drivers for the RealMagic Hollywood Plus decoder card that work with XP, so I'll have to install those and try it out.

is there any chance of anyone ripping the movies from the "good" dvd version? would be nice, esp if theres lil extra bits :)

Back