Wing Commander III

Admins, please move this thread to where it belongs.

To laserblaster, you need to play it in the DOS mode, it won´t run (or will run very badly) in Win98. Do you know how to start your computer in DOS? If so, please post your autoexec.bat and config.sys so I can take a look at them.

Originally posted by Starkey
Admins, please move this thread to where it belongs.

To laserblaster, you need to play it in the DOS mode, it won´t run (or will run very badly) in Win98. Do you know how to start your computer in DOS? If so, please post your autoexec.bat and config.sys so I can take a look at them.

Not true. You CAN configure it to run in most versions of Windows (not sure about XP, though), but since we don't have a list of symptoms, there's no way to diagnose any possible problems that laserblaster might be having.

That´s why I said it´ll run badly. We´ll have to work on a lot of stuff and the game still might not run. It was designed to work in DOS and will be just easier to make it work smoothly there.

I've never had a problem running WCIII in Win9x. Ironically, i just reinstalled it (the DOS version, though I have Kilrathi Saga as well) last weekend, and played a few misisons. Put in the CD, run the install program, then start the game right there in Win98. Never had an issue.

Right, but laserblaster is having a problem, that´s why I´m advicing him to try the game in DOS. If he really wants to play in Windows, he could describe what problems he´s having, and we will help him.

The only probs one might have in Windows is lack of sufficient conventional memory, or a bad sound card setting, or lack of proper video drivers to run the game. Good thing he does have win98, because DOS is impossible on XP.

wing commander 3

Ihave tried to load the game in DOS mode but I am still running into a number of errors. What comes up most of the time is a video card error [am running a VooDoo 3 3000 agp card], and CD-Rom reading faster than possible [ I can uderstand this one}. But the rare one's are can't find JEMM overflow or Stack Overflow Which results in the error and then lockup. But my biggest is digital sound doesn't work. I have a Sound Blaster 16 card. It should work. Please Help.

Mine had a video card problem. All you have to do is instead of select SVGA video graphics select VGA it may look worse but the only way I ever got the video to work on my machine.

wing commander 3

At this time I have no trouble at all running Privateer 2 in the MS-DOS mode. In the past I have had troubles but the patch fixer that. Now the only problem I have is the CD-ROM winding down during the game.

wing commander 3

my Config.sys File

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILESHIGH=40,30
BUFFERSHIGH=40,4
FCBSHIGH=10
SWITCHES=/F
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\CDTECH.SYS /D:MSCD0001 /UDMA2 /V
LASTDRIVE=M

my autoexec.bat file

@ if exist c:\wininsto.400\suwarn.bat call c:\wininsto.400\suwarn.bat