Wing Commander III Shows Age :(

And if I remember correctly, both Rebel Assault games were terrible.

The first one had a very high whiz-bang factor. "Wow! It's like a Star Wars movie! In my computer!"... the second one had THE WORST ACTING IN THE WORLD and THE WOST STORY IN THE WORLD. And the game sucked.

The first one was also the very first rail shooter, so no one quite yet realized just how limiting the games were. That one did well. I think the first Cyberia did well, also. But after that, the market pretty much killed every following rail shooter.

Someone did some pretty poor scripting for RA:2 also. I remember the strike against the asteroid mining facility, the guy said,"Arm your laser turrets!" 'Scuse me? There are no turrets on an X-Wing. Nor have their been turrets on any modified X-Wing in Star Wars literature.

Originally posted by Frosty

Yeah... except for no, it wasn't.

Wasn't what? A rail shooter or the first rail shooter?
If there was an earlier rail shooter, I'm not aware of it, although I wouldn't be too surprised to have missed it. The first Rebel Assault was most definitely a rail shooter, however. The attack on the Star Destroyer is a text-book example of a rail shooter. The computer has control of where your craft flies, and you move the little aiming cursor around to target the guns on the star destroyer and the oncoming TIE fighters.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
I realize that I may very well be in the minority, but I rather PREFERED the MIDI of WCIII. With a good sound card and multiple speakers, the sound is much richer, and doens't suffer from the occasional crackle that the digital remakes of WCI and WCII do.

Phoenix, Im with you on this one. I liked it alot. I even went out and made an audio CD of all of the WC3 music.

Neat Idea, Zor

I would make an audio CD of the WC3 music but I wouldn't do it with the MIDIs. I prefer the fully orchestrated 3DO/PSX WC3 music. I would definitely make an audio CD using the real stuff :D

i think the sounds of WCP are the best course i think that with time and if someone would actually upgrade the past games with better graphics and effects maybe use the freespace 2 or starlancer engines they could surpass WCP in quality not to mention make a hell of alot of money as for music WCP wins simple because of the techno/rock i dont know about you but i always try play any space sim to something like korn, disturbed powerman 5000 or U2 in the back ground theres nothing like dropping a load of torpedoes and watch them rip into a carrier to the sound of Sunday Bloody Sunday, its a good thing

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Well, then... what was it? Is the proper term digital? It sure didn't sound like MIDI on the 3DO to me....
MIDI is digital, it says so in the name.

Oops! I forgot about that part in the acronym :p

Well, you know what I mean. Since I can't use the word "orchestral," then here is how I will say it-

WC3 on the PC sounds like synth instruments

WC3 on 3DO/PSX sounds like real instruments

I like the way WC3 3DO sounds better. Yay.

If you think that sounds like a real instrument, you have a tin ear.

Originally posted by LeHah
If you think that sounds like a real instrument, you have a tin ear.

No. It sounds more "real," than the pure MIDI of the PC games.

That's just me, though. I know a good majority will disagree.

... but if that good majority didn't, I wouldn't be able to hold my title with much credibility :cool:

You don't hold a title, nor do you have any credibility.

(As if I should talk.)

Back