Wing Commander III on the 3DO

dave4shmups

Spaceman
Has anyone on these forums played the 3DO port of Wing Commander III, and if so, is it any good? I have a 3DO and I know that there's a flight stick that was released for it, so I'm thinking that that would make playing the game more enjoyable. I know that Wing Commander III is available on gog.com, but I don't think it has any controller support.

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
The 3DO port of Wing Commander III is excellent and it's significantly different from the PC release! They redesigned all of the missions to make them more action oriented to better fit the console and the result is a really neat, different experience -- almost 'Wing Commander 3.5'. Gameplay graphics aren't as high quality as the PC release but they feel appropriate... and the movies are actually a little better (AND there are a few that were cut from the PC release!)

The GOG release of the PC version should support your controllers just fine, though - it runs through DOSBox which lets you simulate a classic joystick with whatever you're using.

dave4shmups

Spaceman
The 3DO port of Wing Commander III is excellent and it's significantly different from the PC release! They redesigned all of the missions to make them more action oriented to better fit the console and the result is a really neat, different experience -- almost 'Wing Commander 3.5'. Gameplay graphics aren't as high quality as the PC release but they feel appropriate... and the movies are actually a little better (AND there are a few that were cut from the PC release!)

The GOG release of the PC version should support your controllers just fine, though - it runs through DOSBox which lets you simulate a classic joystick with whatever you're using.
What are the controls like with the standard 3-button controller? I know it also has shoulder buttons, but that's what concerns me.

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
They're fairly awkward, they never really mastered porting Wing Commander with a controller. But it does support the 3DO Flightstick Pro which is a great improvement.

Mindcrime

Commodore
I remember recently trying Super WC on 3do and the controls killed me. I didn’t know about that flightstick option though but still without a keyboard it’ll be pretty rough. From what I played Super WC looked absolutely great I just got my ass kicked super fast lol.

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
GOG.com is just using standard protocols to translate pretty much any USB joystick/controller to the game's inputs. You probably won't get any advanced features, but most modern joysticks should work fine.