Wing Commander I is Murder

CoachMark

Spaceman
Is it me, or is WC I almost impossible to complete without cheats? The DOS version doesn't play worth a darn on my 400 Celeron, even with moslo (there is no option to disable cache in my bios). The Kilrathi Saga version (from the 7/2000 PC Gamer CD) results in my digital joystick overcompensating and turning the ship too fast, making aiming and "sliding" extremely difficult (I've had the opposite joystick problems with other WC DOS games, i.e., WC 3). Also, many AB slides cause rapid acceleration, resulting in inadvertent ramming, producing damage. In secret missions 2 my Dralthi is always detected, whether I order radio silence or not. The KS version does not allow for any cheat except invulnerability, no ctrl-F12 target-destroying. I have WC I-II strategy guide, but it is not much help.

WC II is great, Academy is good for what it is, WC III DOS version gives me poor joystick performance - slow and uneven turns, privateer I looks good, although I have yet to play it beyond a few missions, P2 is nuts, WC 4 looks great ( I have yet to play much of it) and WCP and SO are the best out there! Anyone else having these problems with WC I? Any solutions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Whoa! You´ve got lots of problems, and the first one is that you posted this thread in the wrong forum - but that´s not for me to solve. ;)

About the Technical problems, here it goes:

In WC1, try tweaking with Moslo, it might work. There are other softwares to slow your computer down, too.

Are you sure you can´t turn your cache memory off?

Meat is murder...

Sounds like you need to sell your computer into a life of prostitution and build a new one that won't get uppity and give you all kinds of lip.

Well, to fix your speed problems, go get an old 486 or something and put dos on it. just dos. then wc1 and 2 and priv 1 will run fine with no speed problems.

WC1 (and add-ons) is certainly not as easy as WCP and probably harder than WC2 but it is perfectly beatable without cheats. The speed probelms are another matter of course.

Originally posted by CoachMark
In Secret Missions 2 my Dralthi is always detected, whether I order radio silence or not.
AFAIK, radio silence will not affect the enemies' ability to detect if you are Terran or not. Some missions in the Dralthi, the enemy already knows you're Confed, but the basic rule is this: fire only if fired upon.

Heh, do as I say, not as I do. I fire regardless of the situation - only means more kills for me. :)

Well, I guess some of my questions/comments were of a technical nature, but I didn't think technical support was going to answer them as much as, say, tactics I was just missing. I reinstalled WC1 under DOS from the deluxe version CD and if moslo is set below 20% the play is erratic and varied in slow down. This level results in a game that is faster than the KS version. My analog joystick in the DOS version is even more erratic than my digital stick under the KS/windows version. It's mostly the secret missions I am having trouble with, but half-way through sm2, I have only been able to complete 3-4 without invulnerability. I think I am just having trouble getting the AB slide down. Some of these rescue-the-cap-ship missions seem impossible without cheats or lucky breaks - much harder than anything WCP or SO offers at nightmare!

I like to think that if I can complete X-Wing vs Tie Fighter Balance of Power Campaign flying for the Empire, then I can beat any space sim.....but I might be wrong.:confused:

you could possibly go into edit and make a batch file, throwing in a command called "ide" that should disable the internal cache. you have to do this thru dos. i combined it with a slow utility on WC1, in the batch file. the game runs kinda slow, but its playable

I too have problems with WC1. I use moslo, but the game is still to fast sometimes, and then jerky. I really don't know why. And: what's a batch file? Do you put it on the boot disk?:confused:

My analog joystick in the DOS version is even more erratic than my digital stick under the KS/Windows version.
Uh, if you have KS, why don't you use that?

It's mostly the Secret Missions I am having trouble with, but half-way through SM2...
SM2 should be able to run at the correct speed without any slowdown utility - in case you haven't noticed.

Originally posted by Loozer
...throwing in a command called "ide" that should disable the internal cache...
I am unfamiliar with this "ide". What is it? I'm assuming it's an external program.

Originally posted by Lynx
...what's a batch file?
A batch file is simply a text file with a .BAT extension. You can use them to execute a series of commands in one go - the AUTOEXEC.BAT on a bootdisk is an example of this. But anything in a batch file, you should be able to execute manually at the command prompt, anyway.

I am unfamiliar with this "ide". What is it? I'm assuming it's an external program.

well its an internal command within dos which disables your internal cache which I guess!,makes your system run slower. i think "icd" enables your internal cache back to its original speed. because after disabling the internal cache to play WC on my system, i have to enable it to play other games on it like ROTT or HERETIC so these games will not run so slow, but dont quote me on that. i may have the commands mixed up, it could be vice versa. after failure to run PRIVATEER on this same system i havent gotten on this machine in awhile.

Ah, I know what you're talking about now - they're definitely external programs, ie not included in DOS. You can't just assume people automatically have them. Too, you don't need batch files to use them.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Ah, I know what you're talking about now - they're definitely external programs, ie not included in DOS. You can't just assume people automatically have them. Too, you don't need batch files to use them.

well, i apologize for the bold assumption, and i wasn't implying that you need a batch file to use them, i used it thru a batch file just so everytime i wanted to play i wouldnt have to execute the slow file and ide command

Back