wing commander games

Heh heh heh....

Yes and it's going to be entitled Wing Commander: The Maniac Missions!

It features "bullet time," a new and innovative "taunt-o-matic," combo system and an opening credits with Panther's nekkid silhouette dancing and running in slo-mo with a laser-pistol against a nebula backdrop... JAMES BOND STYLE BOYEEE :cool:

SARCASM ALERT

You forgot to call him Plebe, Col.Dom!

To our rookie: we all hope they make new games. In the meantime, we have insane dudes like Col.Dom to amuse everybody. :D

Re: SARCASM ALERT

Originally posted by Starkey
You forgot to call him Plebe, Col.Dom!

To our rookie: we all hope they make new games. In the meantime, we have insane dudes like Col.Dom to amuse everybody. :D

Oh yeah! Hiya' Plebe!

Welcome aboard :D

It's hard to say who actually owns the rights to WC. EA went through a major re-org last year, and the only associated companies left were Origin, and EA Sports. While the re-org.ed, they also claimed the rights to all games, from Janes, Maxis, WestWood, and others. Most of the titles from Origin were moved to EA. You may ask, what does this matter? Well, that means we don't know where to plead for a new game. Origin has redone their sight, and only references Ultima. Meaning, they could care less about WC. They are cought up in Oline RPGs. as they are a source of long time steady income. where WC is in spurts, and usually Origin lost money on new WC titles. WCIV cost $14 mil. to make. That is why the current hope for a new WC game seems so hopeless.

Originally posted by Happy
It's hard to say who actually owns the rights to WC.

No it isn't. EA owns the rights, as it has for many a year.

They are cought up in Oline RPGs. as they are a source of long time steady income. where WC is in spurts, and usually Origin lost money on new WC titles. WCIV cost $14 mil. to make. That is why the current hope for a new WC game seems so hopeless.

If by usually lost money, you mean the exact opposite... The whole reason there have been dozens of releases of Wing Commander games is because they've historically been rather successful. In the current market, space combat games aren't very successful. This hasn't always been true.

True EA owns the rights, but which entity would actually make a new WC, it wouldn't be Origin, not today atleast.
While it is true that WC Histotically has been a real money maker, after losing so much money on WCIV, and the lack luster performance of WCP, they put the series on ice. I know this is hard to justify to other hardcore WC fans, but there just are not enough of us. (and i don't want to hear about my rank on this board.) Flight sims have not been popular to the general game market for generic reasons, many are too complicated, and most people do not want the hassle of buying joysticks to ENJOY a game. Lets face it, games like the sims, theme parks, quake, games that can be enjoyably played with a mouse and keyboard are popular and more important to the powers that be, what sell.

Well... Origin is still out there, I guess... just... waiting to get used as a studio again <G> Although I'll bet five dollars that the next WC will be a GBA port of some kind...

(I think Prophecy did allright (compared to Freespace or StarLancer) -- just not as super-amazing-well as EA wanted...)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Although I'll bet five dollars that the next WC will be a GBA port of some kind...

I know there's that really gay replica of WC (it is WC) with a dumb name (Star Pilot: Save the Galaxy! or whatever) coming out for the GBA....

Would WC2 be feasible on the GBA? I remember that WC2 was close to completion on the SNES around the time WC3 came out for 3DO but got canned. If it could fit on an SNES cart, could it be done for a GBA cart (since, essentially, they are the same thing)?

WC2 on the go would be so feakin' sweet, dude! Better would be WC3.... :cool:

Originally posted by Happy
BGA? What's that? I don't really know consoles.

GBA = Game Boy Advance. It's the 16-bit portable COLOR Nintendo system. It is really cool. Imagine an SNES on the go :D

SNES is Super Nintendo Entertainment System, by the way ;)

Originally posted by Col.Dom

I know there's that really gay replica of WC (it is WC) with a dumb name (Star Pilot: Save the Galaxy! or whatever) coming out for the GBA....

Does the graphics just look like wing commander or does the game really have a wing commander story?

I posted this on a thread not so long ago...

raylight1-12.jpg

raylight1-2.jpg

The upcoming GBA game "that-looks-like-WC" is called Star Giants. If you want to see more screenshots (courtesy of LOAF), check out all the raylight .jpg series at https://cdn.wcnews.com/newshots/full/.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by the__phoenix

Does the graphics just look like wing commander or does the game really have a wing commander story?

We know nothing of the story. Of course, actually being a Wing Commander game would require the game to be picked up by EA.

TC

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I like the straight WC1 port idea better.

Yeah, me too... but look, Earth! They could make it a Fleet Action game... they never would, but they *could*

WC1 must be the most 'ported' WC game already, isn't it?

Originally posted by Col.Dom
GBA = Game Boy Advance. It's the 16-bit portable COLOR Nintendo system.
32-bit, I'm sure. Although that's hardly an indication of a system's performance, especially given that the X-Box is also 32-bit. :)

Back