Wing Commander console ports

JamesEightBS

Spaceman
Hey guys, question: What's the differences between the original PC versions of the Wing Commander games, and their various Super Nintendo/Sega CD/3DO/Playstation/Game Boy Advance ports (assuming there are any and they're not all just straight ports)? I've heard that in some of them, missions have been changed and replaced etc, and not long ago me and another member here discussed the SNES version of Wing Commander 1.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, question: What's the differences between the original PC versions of the Wing Commander games, and their various Super Nintendo/Sega CD/3DO/Playstation/Game Boy Advance ports (assuming there are any and they're not all just straight ports)? I've heard that in some of them, missions have been changed and replaced etc, and not long ago me and another member here discussed the SNES version of Wing Commander 1.

A brief history of ports:

-=Wing Commander=-

Amiga: Low (32?) color graphics version. The only real difference is that the fighters menu in the trainsim has 'rotating' images of the fighters instead of simple VDU line drawings. No one in the universe knows why this is. (People often say that the music sounds better in the Amiga version... but my experience is that it sounds fairly similar to the original game's music played on an MT-32 or LAPC-I.)

CD32: Identical to the original A500 Amiga version, except with 256 color graphics.

SegaCD: The SegaCD version is visually similar to the original PC release, but it also includes full speech (and the requisite awkward console control scheme).

SNES: Another low (16?) color version. The SNES version has a host of weird Nintendo-requested minor changes (the Blue Devils are the 'Blue Angels' - things like that). There's some obvious tricks to get around the low amount of memory on an SNES cart, too - for instance, SNES WC1 doesn't have unique graphics for the Jalthi... it's just a Salthi that's been turned green. There is also a seperate, stand-alone SNES version of the Secret Missions addon... it's fairly cool, as it includes a unique intro sequence (Kilrathi talking about the Sivar weapon) and an 'extended' Tiger's Claw takeoff scene that makes use of some Mode-7 landscaping stuff.

FM Towns: Visually identical to the PC version - the only significant change is that it has a Redbook audio soundtrack instead of MIDIs.

3DO: This is 'Super Wing Commander'. All of the graphics are redone in Privateer-level SVGA. It has some new 'bridge' plot points (characters occasionally mention stealth fighters) and a 'middle' set of addon (SM1.5!) missions about blowing up the Sivar's base. Full speech, ships look different, people look different, etc. Amazingly, of all the ports this one *plays* most similar to the original game.

Macintosh: (See 3DO.)

-=Wing Commander II=-

FM Towns: Has Redbook CD audio tracks instead of MIDI files. Otherwise identical.

SNES: Never released! Had color VDUs and a streamlined 'action' style of gameplay.

-=Wing Commander III=-

Macintosh: Same as the PC release.

PSX: Surprisingly similar to the original PC version. Has some video sequences added (news reports).

3DO: Higher quality video, full color VDUs, alternate mission layouts (ie, different enemies at different points) and generally a mode 'arcade' sense. Pre-rendered video segments replace ground missions. Includes a few new ships (gun platforms. WC4-style triangle transports, etc.), missiles (the Vampire missile!) etc. Some video scenes cut from the original game are re-incorporated.

-=Wing Commander IV=-

DVD: Same as the PC (Win95) version, but with high quality video sequences - as clear as a real movie rather than a... Xan movie.

Macintosh: Identical to the initial PC release.

PSX: Cuts out a significant amount of video and missions (no Circe Series, for instance). Ground missions replaced with new space-based missions with similar objectives. Briefing videos altered slightly to represent this.

-=Wing Commander Prophecy=-

GBA: Entire game redone as a handheld port. Video sequences are done as either fly-rendered segments or talking heads. Has a multiplayer mode.

Is there anyway we can see the the speech from Wing Commander 1 on Sega CD. I have a Sega Saturn (I think that's the same, at least that's all I ever saw here in Australia) but never saw a Wing Commander game for it.

IIRC the Sega Saturn and Sega CD are very different from one another. There are questionable means of attaining the game and questionable means of running it, but those are not to be recommended.

Grimloc said:
IIRC the Sega Saturn and Sega CD are very different from one another. There are questionable means of attaining the game and questionable means of running it, but those are not to be recommended.

Okay thanks for that. I thought maybe it was the same as I never heard of a 'Sega CD' and when they released the Sega Mega Drive here over seas it was called the Sega Genesis so yeah.
Is anyone able to get small mp3 or video clips of the speech or pictures from these games to give us a chance to see them in action?

Sega CD was released as an addon for the Genesis (Mega Drive). It was pretty much a CD player for the Genesis and allowed for things like video and CD audio. I rented a Sega CD years ago; for its day it was a fantastic experience for a console.

I've never played a Sega Saturn, but I know that it's a stand-alone console from the PSX 32-bit era.

The Sega CD was called the Mega CD in Europe and Japan.

There's a stand alone unit called the 'Sega CDX' that looks like a walkman. Fantastic little device.

Sega CD titles emulate fairly flawlessly - all you need is a .99 cent copy of Wing Commander and you can play it yourself on your PC.

Speaking along those lines, I just bought Soul Blade today for cheap; it looks really nice next to my Soul Caliber 1 and 2 discs.

Grimloc said:
Sega CD was released as an addon for the Genesis (Mega Drive). It was pretty much a CD player for the Genesis and allowed for things like video and CD audio. I rented a Sega CD years ago; for its day it was a fantastic experience for a console.

Though a phenomenally underused one... they could've used the Sega CD for some AMAZING games, and indeed did (Sonic CD)... but most of the system's power was wasted on shoddy FMV games meant only to advance on the FMV hype at the time. There were very few non-FMV games that were unique to the system (many non-FMV based games were multi-console).

Just one in a long line of many problems that contributed to Sega's eventual downfall.

DyNaMiX said:
Is there anyway we can see the the speech from Wing Commander 1 on Sega CD. I have a Sega Saturn (I think that's the same, at least that's all I ever saw here in Australia) but never saw a Wing Commander game for it.

Dynamix, for a really good Megadrive/CD emulator, I'd reccomend Gens (http://gens.consolemul.com/), as it's compatible with just about all ROMS, although it is sometimes finicky with some CD-ROM drives. My copy of WC runs very well on it, and in keeping with LOAF, I purhcased a mint copy on Ebay a while back for $5 shipped.

The Super Famicom is the Japanese version of the SNES.

The FM Towns is a Japanese computer. They were the first computers to ship with CD-ROM drives standard -- so the FM Towns ports of many early Origin games have full speech (Ultima 6 is the famous one).

Back