Wing Commander Audio CD's!!!

Zor Prime

That guy.
Some people have asked to see the cases for my WC audio cds.

So, here they are:

http://www.dreamwater.com/tcstarawa/cds/index.html

I made some pictures of the CD's and their cases this morning. I was only able to do the WC1, WC2, and the Compilation one's because my WC4 cd is at work.

Tell me what you guys think about these. If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks. There's more on the way.

I forgot to mention, that since I suck at graphic artistry, I used some of the art from the CIC's art section and combined it with some stuff of my own.

Cool!!
I made my own WC audio CD compiled of almost all the MP3s (converted to cda, of course)I managed to either extract or d/l.
I`m curious. What tracks from WC3 and WC4 do you have? I have quite a few from 4 that I have managed to find over the last year or so, and almost all the themes from WC1 and 2, but I couldn`t find many from 3, and Prophecy is almost impossible to extract from.

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
Cool!!
I made my own WC audio CD compiled of almost all the MP3s (converted to cda, of course)I managed to either extract or d/l.
I`m curious. What tracks from WC3 and WC4 do you have? I have quite a few from 4 that I have managed to find over the last year or so, and almost all the themes from WC1 and 2, but I couldn`t find many from 3, and Prophecy is almost impossible to extract from.

If youre having trouble with extracting the audio from WCP turn down the sound effects and movie volumes in the options screen and leave the music volume up. Then use some recorder, preferably a DAT recorder and record the music! I did this and got every mission sound track from the game, washed it thru some EQ and DBX finalizers and I got some very impressive results. This route may be the long way home but its better than nothing eh? :)

RFBurns

here's what i have:

wc3:

opening theme, all the inflight music, and the credits.

wc4:

opening theme, all inflight music, some cutscene music (i'm still trying to get it all), and the end credits.

I can't make a wc3 cd until i find a midi2mp3/wav converter 'cause I can't burn midi's straight to cda, i don't have the right software. :( But, as soon as i get the software, i'll be ready to make a wc3 cd!

Well, I guess we have just about the same themes.
Er... what kind of sound card do you listen to midis with?
I have a Roland Sound Canvas daughterboard connected to my Sound Blaster, so midi output is as close as possible to the original recordings made by George Oldziey. Plus, I also have a Roland Virtual SC88, which comes with a program that converts midis to wav files, so conversion is very easily done. :)

If you have enough processor power and memory, and 2 different sound cards, you can easily record midis to wav with any wav recording program, and then encode into mp3 format. If you don`t, you might run into trouble.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Ehh, just set a normal .wav recorder to record the MIDI output, and then play the MIDIs.

I already tried that (on several differnt occasions) and it all came out very distorted.

Mad Hatter: What program did you use?

Originally posted by RFBurns
If youre having trouble with extracting the audio from WCP turn down the sound effects and movie volumes in the options screen and leave the music volume up. Then use some recorder, preferably a DAT recorder and record the music!

If you're that desperate, that would work, but then you'd only be getting analogue music, even with the DAT. All sound data is converted to analogue before being outputted (if that's a word) to the speakers.

It depends entirely on what soundcard you use and what types of inputs whatever you are outputting to has. There are quite a few modern soundcards (SB Live included, I believe) that have digital outs.

TC

As I said, I have a program that does the mid2wav conversion automatiocally, But it only comes with the Roland VSC-88 virtual synthesiser program I bought which cost around 40$.

Other than that I use either a shareware program called GoldWave, or WaveStudio that comes with the Sound Blaster 16 package. Again, there might be problems trying to record midi to wav format using only 1 soundcard.

Oh, btw, cool CD covers!

[Edited by Mad Hatter on 03-02-2001 at 10:23]

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by RFBurns
If youre having trouble with extracting the audio from WCP turn down the sound effects and movie volumes in the options screen and leave the music volume up. Then use some recorder, preferably a DAT recorder and record the music!

If you're that desperate, that would work, but then you'd only be getting analogue music, even with the DAT. All sound data is converted to analogue before being outputted (if that's a word) to the speakers.

Thats what the DBX finalizers are for! (duh) Those are professional audio units many large record companies use to revive old recordings into todays digital masters. Trust me, those DBX finalizers will make those midi recordings sound full and with more frequency response than the direct midi itself. You can get one for around 300 bucks from places like DBX Inc. If your into audio like I am, the 300 bucks is well worth it. You should hear what it can do with modern CD recordings already mastered digitally! The analog playback is only a factor if your sound card does not sport the I-Drive with, yes drum roll please...optical digital ins and outs, which would output a digital signal into say, a DAT recorder with, yes another drum roll please...optical ins and outs, which would record, um...a digital signal!! Since I master CD's for bands and have my own recording studio, access to the equipment is easy. But todays digital hardware for audio isnt all that expensive, unless you want a 32 track digital open reel recorder, expect one of those to set you back about $400,000. :)

RFBurns

Id be happy to! Cept I dont think Ive got the web space at my site to accomidate alot of mp3's. However, the only WC music I was concerned with was WCP music, and I dont have any others made cept the ones I downloaded from various sites on the web. From the looks of it, you have more than I do!

RFBurns

I will begin converting my CDA of WCP and SO to 320kps mp3's tonight. Its TGIF!! :D I needed a project to keep me occupied this weekend anyway!

RFBurns

I don't know much about audio mastering, RFBurns, but wouldn't using your method be a DAD recording as opposed to a DDD recording?

Back