Wing Commander Animated Series

Well, here is some recent work from the upcoming Wing Commander Animated Series... "Wing Commander: Vega". I hope that you guys enjoy them, and any comments are greatly appreciated, good or bad.

A year ago I released a few concept pieces and got alot of feedback from the wing commander community, which I used to try and improve the project. Most of the year has been spent attempting to refine the 3D CG style and establish a unique visual presence. Some people expressed that the earlier work was too cartoony, and when placed with the subject matter and tone of the script, I agreed. So a more serious, mature look was worked out.

vegapromodebris.jpg

The original version of the pilot script called for a very nice montage of the Battle of McAuliffe as the opening sequence. It didn't take very long to realize that this was just not feasible if I ever wanted to actually finish this thing, but by that time I had already done the background for this image, and so it was kept in as a single shot. The aftermath of the great battle. The final version will have much more depth and scope...

vegapromokilrathi.jpg

As the script for the pilot episode stands, you won't actually see the Kilrathi, but I developed their look anyway. The idea was to go with "big cats" personified. This one was the Siberian Tiger, and is intended as a hardened, lower-class warrior.

vegapromorapier.jpg

What you see here is very unfinished, but it conveys the style of the CG being used for the project very well. It originally was intended to just make a cameo appearance with a beaten up version in the debris field shot, but it turned out much too well not to use.

Looks pretty cool, but the engines of the Rapier don't seem to be attached to the fuselage

I really didn't think the earlier shots were too cartoony, but the project continues to look great. I really like the use of the Rapier I.

The wings need to be adjusted. They need to be slightly longer and much wider. The taper on the back end of them needs to be slightly more obtuse, and that same angle applied to the front of the wing, so that they are angled towards each other.

i think the idea is that he's not following 100%.

Freaking awesome work mate, hmm....maybe when i get enough of my Scenes of McAuliffe done we can merge projects? Just an idea..

EXCELLENT!!!!!
I REALLY liked the Kilrathi. REally great job.
Are there any other Kilrathi design pics?

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Looks pretty cool, but the engines of the Rapier don't seem to be attached to the fuselage

The wings need to be adjusted. They need to be slightly longer and much wider. The taper on the back end of them needs to be slightly more obtuse, and that same angle applied to the front of the wing, so that they are angled towards each other.

The Rapier is VERY MUCH unfinished, the only reason the engines and the whole top rear isn't connected is simply because I haven't modeled it yet. It will be there.

As for the innacuracies, Brad is right, they are intended. This is based off of the various concept art for the Rapier rather than the one that was actually used in the Wing Commander movie. I attempted to balance out the retro and sci-fi style a little more liberally, giving it a *little* more traditional sci-fi, and a *little* less retro.

In universe the differences could possibly be explained by this being the CF-117, rather than the CF-117B

Wow, this guy made a good looking rapier I.

Thanks Delance, I was pretty apprehensive about using her. The common fan consensus seemed to be that the movie fighter was pretty... ugly.

Are there any other Kilrathi design pics?

Glad you like it! I have done a noble lord design, based on the African Lion, but it hasn't been cleaned or painted yet. I'll make sure it gets done though.

TopGun said:
Why on Earth would they be cloaked?

:D I'm sure McGruff was only kidding (what would be the point?)

Great work, but personally I prefer the design of the Rapier from the WC2 game

Man, that Rapier looks fan-friggin-tastic. Beautiful work there.

EDIT: Can you tell us what you hope the result to be for this project? How long will this little movie run?

Back