Wing commander and OS X`

wizard

Spaceman
Hey I saw the link on /. this week, made me pull out my copy of WC4.

Anyone here tried this on OS-X in classic mode? When I try to play, all the videos are choppy and it just runs like genuine crap. My mac doesnt boot in os 9.

Any ideas? Thanks

I'm afraid that, if you can't boot into OS 9, then you're out of luck. I have the exact same problem when running WC III -- in "Classic" mode in OS X, the game actually runs *very* well (and loads in about 2 seconds), but the videos are so choppy, they're almost unwatchable.

My newer iMac can't boot into OS 9, though my older, now-defunct iBook could. When booting up from OS 9, the game ran *flawlessly*, videos and all, and kept running quickly, smoothly, and stable the entire time I had it in my CD drive.

Then my CD drive melted, and since my warranty had expired... well, that was that. In a nutshell, though, if you can't boot into OS 9, then I don't know of any way to play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Not the answer you were looking for, methinks... but know that you're not alone out there :)

yeah I had to pull out my old g3 today to play it. God It has been such a long time since I used os9.

Next newb question: Can you use USB joysticks in WC, since WC is pre-USB days? I cant remember anything about os9 and how to set things up. I have one of those Cyborg things I believe.

God I love this game!

Does have something to do with the newer apple os being unix based now?
I played WC iv and Prophecy with my cyborg usb stick. But to use the 95 patch (on my 98 comp) I had to pull the Wingman off this comp (xp) because it has a serial port (but can use USB as well). For WC3 I had to use my really old 2 axis 2 button genaric stick or run it on this comp with dos box. Some other minor problems too.

You may want to check and see what extensions are being loaded in your classic environment...there could be ones that are unneccessary and possible hindering video playback...I have an older iMac G3 500 and it took a little tinkering to get them to work...now if I could only find the damn games themselves.....I should probably start a thread for questions for a Mac WC FAQ huh...

Back