Wing Commander and GURPS

the__phoenix

Spaceman
I recently learned, that there is an very goood alternative to AD&D: GURPS. Is there web page, where someone offers rules for implementing a Wing Commander Campaing in this role play system.

I think the new D20 rules are very good to use as system for a Wing Commander RPG. Look at the new Star Wars RPG, this is the best. The spacecombatrules are not so good and you must create your own classes, but the system is easy and very flexible.

Unfortually not as many as there used to be, but there are still a few around. If you look at the links page, one of the sites on there should have what your looking for.

The Wizards of the Coast Star Wars RPG is complete crap. I don't think I could loathe any company more than Wizards of the Coast. West End Games, who went temporarily bankrput for buying out WAY too many high-end movie licenses, like the "Men In Black RPG" (?!), lost their hold on the Star Wars license when Lucasfilm put out a contract renewal on all 3rd party distributors (Kenner, Del Ray, etc) when Episode 1 came out.

WEG had no money. WotC owns almost every fucking RPG except "Kobalds Ate My Baby!".

WEG has a patinted D6 system that is simplistic brilliance.

(And no, I'm not bitter at Wizards because I played WEG's SW RPG for 6 years :rolleyes: )

Yeah, I hate how Magic: The Gathering Thought Police travel in armored packs shooting everybody who even *tries* to play an older RPG.

They tried that with me a few times and I just clocked them with my Mace +1.

Nice to bring up this thread.

I have been GMing a WC RPG using the WEG SW-RPG rules, and my players WUV it!

I have designed a WC RPG for Gurps 3rd Edition -->

(Note: IMHO, Gurps ADND sucks compared to WotC ADND. Don't make rules for a game if there are already perfect rules for it)

--> and never used it because my players hated the <b>too-many-small-detailed-rules</b> system.

So I still GM WC using the WEG rules. And I also think the WotC SWRPG system sucks.

Since a few weeks I am designing a (Acornsofts) Elite RPG using the Gurps rules. So far its going well and I am thinking of introducing it to my players in a month or so when the little bugs have been worked out.

Hope to have been of info.

Zim

Originally posted by Battler Hawke
about a your or two a go i found wc stuff for rifts.

Rifts?

Burn it.
Interesting concepts and backgrounds, perhaps (I'm only somewhat familiar with it), but the Palladium system itself isn't very good.
Not overly fond of GURPS myself, but I had a friend who thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, so I'll keep quiet about it.

Personally, for a WC RPG, I'd go with either the WEG system or the Mekton Z system. The former is great for fast, heroic action. The latter has a different feel to it (a more traditional skill + roll equals skill check number as opposed to WEG's roll Xd6 and add them up), but the vehicle construction system is invaluable for duplicating pretty much anything and everything imaginable.

Originally posted by junior

Rifts?

Burn it.
Interesting concepts and backgrounds, perhaps (I'm only somewhat familiar with it), but the Palladium system itself isn't very good.
Not overly fond of GURPS myself, but I had a friend who thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, so I'll keep quiet about it.

Personally, for a WC RPG, I'd go with either the WEG system or the Mekton Z system. The former is great for fast, heroic action. The latter has a different feel to it (a more traditional skill + roll equals skill check number as opposed to WEG's roll Xd6 and add them up), but the vehicle construction system is invaluable for duplicating pretty much anything and everything imaginable.
your can use traveler or tfos.:rolleyes:

Ill have to agree on the Mekton Z vehicles. there is no more complete system for vehicle creation

on Gurps, I actually got involved with WC RPGs when I was looking online for anything that could help me in creating a wc campaign in gurps, and, unfortunatly, I didnt find anything on it. In the end I got involved with WCRPG and played in it (and still does), and finally made my own system for wc, based on gurps, mechwarrior 2nd edition and ideas of my own

it would be VERY easy to make it using GURPS, most of all if you have Ultratech and Aliens. The ships conversion would be more complicated, but I believe GURPS Vehicles would help on that. I took a peek on it and it looked very good

If you want help on some stuff to work on this GURPS idea, Ill help you, since its where my rpg grew out of anyway :)

BTW, I have thought of D20 system too have been talking about it with my business partner (secret projects to come :)). The big problem with d20 is that WotC has the rights to take over ANY game made with the d20 system to themselves
Depending on what type of campaign you want to make, it can work fine, but the part with ships can be a bit complicated. Im still waiting to see the SW book for ships to see how they elaborate on it

K

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

your can use traveler or tfos.:rolleyes:

Teenagers from Outer Space?

rofl

THAT would be an interesting game, especially when you start to invoke the 'Rule of Mediocrity' (or whatever its called).

"Yes, player_of_Blair, your super high reflexes, coupled with your talent 'Wasting enemy ships' and your near human alien advantage of 'spatial sense' does indeed mean that you're an excellent combatant. And your roll of 6 in that last dogfight does indeed mean that you just single-handedly wiped out an entire wing of Vaktoths with a surplus Scimitar. However, word of your skill has gotten around, and now an entire battlegroup of the elite Kilrathi Royal Guard looking to build up their reputation just jumped in about 5,000 klicks away, and has stated that unless you duel the entire battlegroup solo, they will destroy your carrier."

:D

Okay...

Hmm. I made a set of rules for Generic Space Battle II some times back with a WC Theme, but I wonder where I put it...

Anyway, You should try for some of those WC IRC RP sites...

Or play the Wing Commander MUSH. It's great. I play it. Sorry if this is a shameless plug, but... Damnit, I love that thing.

redhorizon.seul.org 2197

connect with Telnet or a Mud client.

I've actually been working on a model for a WC RPG apart from anything. Several of my friends and I just basically set up scenarios with ships and do all sorts of trial and error until we find something that works (and is fun). I took some ideas from the d20 system and from Battletech and from Alternity but a lot of it is purely ingenuity. Plus since I'm starting from scratch, I don't have to worry about converting ships. Actually I just took the values of the armor, speed, size, etc... from all the manuals for the ships so far and have been using them in various ways. I'm working on tweaking some of the values for more balanced game-play but overall the project is looking nice. Fighter combat is the most difficult aspect, but my friends and I have invented a system of squadrons and fighter groups that is so far unlike anything I have heard of before and seems to make large-scale engagements involving fighters much less migraine-inducing.

I've never used WEG SW-RPG for any of my ideas. In fact I don't even know where to buy such materials. I can't recall ever even seeing them.

Back