Wing Commander and Audio Books

Jac

Spaceman
Hello everyone!

I work at one of the largest Audio Book publishing companys in America. And I am a HUGE fan of Wing Commander. My question is how many people would want the novels (End Run, Freedom Flight and my favorite Fleet Action, etc.) to listen to on CD or Mp3 download?

If there is considerable interest, then I can help make this happen. Let me know your opinions.

Jac

I think we'd all love to see this happen -- but I can't, for the life of me, imagine how it could be profitable for anyone.

Oh, methinks my bandwidth would be chomping at the bit to download something like this...but I've gotta agree with LOAF here. Neat idea, but lack of potential profits usually trumps the neat idea card.

The key word is "obscure", though. Outside of the CIC community, there's probably not all that much interest.

I'd love to have them in CD format, provided they're professionally done and voice acted... (not that I don't want them in MP3s, but I'd rather convert them myself).

I'd love to have them in CD format, provided they're professionally done and voice acted... (not that I don't want them in MP3s, but I'd rather convert them myself).

I actually attempted to put one of them (Fleet Action) on audio book... but it didn't come out too well and I hate the sound of my voice. I also had a few friends do some voice acting in it and "tried" to add in the sound effects... it still came out pretty amateurish. :p

I think we'd all love to see this happen -- but I can't, for the life of me, imagine how it could be profitable for anyone.

You'd be surprised LOAF. My company puts out 350 titles every year and makes 5 million dollars at that same time frame. We are a very profitable company. :)

I actually attempted to put one of them (Fleet Action) on audio book... but it didn't come out too well and I hate the sound of my voice. I also had a few friends do some voice acting in it and "tried" to add in the sound effects... it still came out pretty amateurish. :p

I think they considered an audio drama instead of an audio book if you have a cast and SE. I've only heard the Star Wars audio dramas, but I guess they were the shit back in the '30s. It'd be pretty hard to make a good one of the Wing Commander books, but it's a cool idea.

I think they considered an audio drama instead of an audio book if you have a cast and SE. I've only heard the Star Wars audio dramas, but I guess they were the shit back in the '30s. It'd be pretty hard to make a good one of the Wing Commander books, but it's a cool idea.

Oh they still do it. I got the idea from a "Tales of the Jedi" CD I picked up a while back.

In any case the idea failed horribly.

Hello everyone!

I work at one of the largest Audio Book publishing companys in America. And I am a HUGE fan of Wing Commander. My question is how many people would want the novels (End Run, Freedom Flight and my favorite Fleet Action, etc.) to listen to on CD or Mp3 download?
Jac

Does this strike anyone else as a little hard to believe?

You'd be surprised LOAF. My company puts out 350 titles every year and makes 5 million dollars at that same time frame. We are a very profitable company. :)

That doesn't have anything to do with how profitable this project would be though.

I know for a fact the BBC still makes them(for among other things Dr. Who), actually, it is not unlike those studies on audiotape that you can follow while cleaning the house, or whatever.

I'd actually see myself listening to one while doing things around the house. But AFAIK audiobooks are a very limited market, and with the cost of voice-actors, background sounds and possibly atmosphere background music....

Well, you'll sell it to everyone here -- but we're a few hundred or at best a couple thousand Wing Commander fans...

(Certainly, wcnews.com would do anything we could to support promoting a Wing Commander audiobook...)

Well, you'll sell it to everyone here -- but we're a few hundred or at best a couple thousand Wing Commander fans...

(Certainly, wcnews.com would do anything we could to support promoting a Wing Commander audiobook...)

And you guys Rock!!

As a fan of Wing Commander, I think having the books on audio would be well worth my money, as I've been hard pressed to find the paperbacks in most of the bookstores around here.

I don't realistically believe that Wing Commander fans will be the only ones buying the novels, as I'm sure both William R. Forstchen fans and Science Fiction fans will also snag this up, as would curious browsers. From our side of the fence, exposure of Wing Commander is certainly a win-win situation for us fans.

'Course, only a Wing Commander fan would think this is a great idea. :)

Back