Wing Commander Actors Stuck In The Dungeons (July 2, 2005)

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
The word over at GameSpot is that Wing Commander actors Matthew Lillard (Maniac, WC movie) and John Rhys-Davies (Paladin, WC3 & WC4) have been cast in the Dungeon Siege movie. Dungeon Siege will be directed by Uwe Boll, a man with a long history of making terrible video game movie adaptations with the flops that were House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark already under his belt, Bloodrayne coming soon, and Far Cry coming next year. With such a history we wonder if Maniac and Paladin are making good career moves, but at least Wing Commander won't be the worst video game based movie he's starred in. For more Dungeon Siege news, don't forget to check Lancers Reactor. Dial-up users should disable browser images before visiting.

--
Original update published on July 2, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
John Rhys-Davies is an excellent actor. Why does he keep choosing these awful films?

Ed

yea, like LotR ;)
i think i heard about bloodrayne(who was playing her again?)
but a dungeon siege and a far cry movie??? i mean far cry was an awesome game, but the story was kinda thin for a game, not to mention a movie...

btw, i think Alone in the Dark was in theatres for a week or so here. i guess they already used up all the good scenes in the music video

ZFGokuSSJ1 said:
Uwe Boll should be murdered. I think someone hacked his website.
No, that was not his real website (which is http://www.boll-kg.de/, by the way).

As far as "Dungeon Siege" is concerned, the movie will certainly be disaster of epic proportions, not to mention it will probably end the acting careers of Matthew Lillard and John Rhys-Davies for good...

By the way, here is Penny Arcade's take on Uwe Boll's crimes against humanity:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-12-18&res=l

Chevieblazer said:
yea, like LotR ;)

There are a few exceptions :)

But everything else I see him in is usually some low budget nonsence. Its the same with Malcolm McDowel. When was the last time you saw him?

Ed

It seems like Boll has an excellent financing mechanism which is not related to the sucess of the movie at all (but more to the franchise).
The other way is that his projects are used by people who need to dump a lot of money quick, then claimhardship to avoid taxes, and get the money back from insurance.

It's like those guys who sold shares in nonexistent drilling equipment - nobody cared about the product, just about profit/loss and securities. It's commendable that he actually produces his movies, but that they're crap is not very surprising.

Ghibli said:
As far as "Dungeon Siege" is concerned, the movie will certainly be disaster of epic proportions, not to mention it will probably end the acting careers of Matthew Lillard and John Rhys-Davies for good...
They way Double Dragon ended the careers of Robert Patrick and Mark Dacascos? Nah - the thing about video game movies is that the more they suck, the less they affect the actors involved. Nobody goes to see them anyway.

see freddy prince jr- he just went back to making cheesy love movies :D
but let's just get the counts straight:
we have:
1)a duke nukem movie(apparently with the rock as the duke)

2)doom(also with the rock-and its actually done and will show in german theatres some time this month)

3)a mechwarrior movie(well propable never going to see that one, they're announcing it every now and then, but nothing's come of it since 2000 or so)

4)far cry(the game was good, but the story thin, and in a movie, graphics won't compensate for that-see episode1)

5) dungeon siege(i guess mr. rhys-davie will play a dwarf, he's good in that role)

6)blood rayne (i wonder who dares playing a vampire lady in tight latex...kate beckinsale perhaps)

did i miss any? resident evil3? halo? unreal?...there was a rumor about a c&c movie, btw...

criticalmass said:
It seems like Boll has an excellent financing mechanism which is not related to the sucess of the movie at all

This is amazing. At least it would explain how he keeps doing it. That shouldn't prevent him learning from past experiences on moviemaking.

Chevieblazer said:
did i miss any? resident evil3? halo? unreal?...there was a rumor about a c&c movie, btw...
A Halo movie is apparently in the works, but it could turn out better than the average game movie - read this article.

For those too lazy to read the whole thing, allow me to quote the interesting bit:
Okay, so it's a bit of a flashy stunt to use an actor dressed as the Master Chief to deliver copies of the script to the offices of top movie studios, but the terms and conditions Microsoft is demanding are no joke. It wants a serious cut of the profits, it wants a massive commitment to investment, it wants work to start on a remarkably short timescale, and perhaps most importantly, it wants Bungie to retain full creative control.

I'd rather go on watching "Red vs. Blue" Halo skits. They're free, they've got extremely good scripts (well, up to a point), and you don't have be afraid all the time that Keanu Reeves or Angelina Jolie will turn up for a cameo.

Sooner or later, all true art will be free, and everything on the market will be crap.

Errr. Okay. I should lay up on the flowery cigarettes and the little white pills...

Back