Wing Commander Academy's Place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.

I have been watching the Academy cartoon series and I am enjoying them very much! I only saw them on Australian tv once (was horribly shocked when I realised what it was). However I noticed that it is slightly different to the game series. Is this series considered canon? By canon I mean, does it have a place along the game timeline? The film was different from the game series (based on it but was not meant to be the same as the game). According to the games did Blair actually go to the Tiger's Claw during the academy? Were Hellcats and Broadswords around during pre-wing commander 1?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

PS: Great work to those who got the lost series online.

Yeah, everything fits together. There is simply some overlap for stuff we didn't see in the games. The movie fits in fine as well (March 15-17, 2654).

Cool, thanks for clearing that uo. By the way the fighters in the series take off through the side of the claw, is that how it was in the first game. I noticed in the first game that it sure does look like it when you take off (small passage ships flys through), however when you look behind the front of the carrier is there.

Yeah, the Tiger's Claw launched fighters from Tubes similar to the Midway in Prophecy. There was also the regular flight deck, but tubrbowere the usual way.

I knew it! I always knew they didn't take off the main flight deck! But I figured they must have because of the above points I made. I assumed it was always just the restrictions of art work.

Thanks for clearing this thread up for me.

Check out the Academy press kit... it clears a bunch of stuff up. Academy TV doesn't actually take place during Blair and co.'s academy days, but is rather a 'command school' they attend.

The first episode takes place just before the movie, most of the rest take place a bit later in WC1, around the 2654 Sivar ceremony.

But, yet, still the rank problems. As I recall, the "Sivar ceremony" (and I'm assuming that's the Sivar Eshrad, which took place at Firekka?) took place after Blair was (possibly) a Lt. Colonel. (secret missions 2).

overmortal said:
But, yet, still the rank problems. As I recall, the "Sivar ceremony" (and I'm assuming that's the Sivar Eshrad, which took place at Firekka?) took place after Blair was (possibly) a Lt. Colonel. (secret missions 2).

The Sivar Eshrad on the Dolosians that took place in WCA was the one that took place the year before the Firekkan one (Dolos - 2654, Firekkan - 2655).

C-ya

Viper61 said:
The Sivar Eshrad on the Dolosians that took place in WCA was the one that took place the year before the Firekkan one (Dolos - 2654, Firekkan - 2655).
Strictly speaking, the Dolosian ceremony might not even have been the Sivar Eshrad. It could have been some other Sivar-related ceremony. After all, there was no mass concentration of Kilrathi forces around Dolos, and the disruption of the ceremony did not appear to have any noticeable effect on the morale of the Kilrathi forces (unlike the Firekka ceremony).

I do love that explanation, but there's no real basis for it anywhere :) (WCA was made before Action Stations was published, so they can't have been *intended* to be Wildcats...).

I also like the idea that they are Wildcats, but I also like the idea that they are predecessors to the Hellcat V (maybe the IV). Anyway, here are some images of them so you can judge for yourself :) (colors a bit off, but oh well)

C-ya

Attachments

• Hellcat1.JPG
    Hellcat1.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Hellcat2.JPG
    Hellcat2.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 153
it does look very hellcatish.... though why they would keep a ship around untill wing 4 i dont know, it must have been a super heay fighter in wing 1 or academy

My opinion is that it was a state of the art fighter and was only featured in the simulation as programming a ship is much easier than to build it at that current time or something like that. We never actually see it in action during the film and the Scimitar seems pretty standard.

We all know how those scimitars flew.. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back