Wing Commander Academy Delayed (October 13, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Some bad news tonight: TVShowsOnDVD reports that the Wing Commander Academy DVD set has been delayed to March 6, 2012. They report that "the reason for these date changes was to provide more time on the projects to result in the best quality possible, as well as to schedule the release in the early part of the new year when your local retail stores will be more willing to stock the title."

We can't go into the specifics at the moment, but the delay isn't just for marketing--there's a specific technical issue with one of Universal's master episodes. The set's producer had the option of making the October 25th date with a cut episode or waiting to fix it. This is the right call. The good news is that Wing Commander fans are nothing if not patient!

--
Original update published on October 13, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodnes, that must be quite a technical issue, do we have any idea what it was? In any event, yeah, they made the right call.

Two minutes of footage were missing from the master of one episode. We've helpe hook them up with the show's producer, who has his own copy!

... and someone's going to get fired over it, because some studio exec will wonder why not release it now, then release a "deluxe" edition 6 months later to get more money. You know, as is par for the course now with all the other DVDs out there. Release a plain old no-extra version now, then a souped-up one with lots of extras 6 months later to earn more money.

Or release the existing one now everywhere, and then make the deluxe one an exclusive that can only be bought from some place at inflated prices.

Just me being cynical I guess.

I don't think there's any reason for cynicism here. This is too small a release for them to contemplate that kind of business model on.

Two minutes of footage were missing from the master of one episode. We've helpe hook them up with the show's producer, who has his own copy!

I hope nobody missed a beat on asking said producer about what plans they had for season 2...

This actually makes me MORE excited about it. The Apple model of marketing eh? I'll be waiting for the r4 release - which may be never! Now THAT'S patient.

Gotta admit, my first thought was "I wonder if they've been asked to delay in a cross-marketing attempt to line it up with the unannounced release of a particular game that may or may not be being developed that shares some resemblance to this series..." :)

Then LOAF tells us it's a technical issue. Bugger. :)

It's great to know our community can step in to assist in a situation like that - being a great group of fans is one thing, being authoritative and resourceful is quite another.

It stinks in the short run but it definitely is with the greater good in mind that we wait another couple of months.

It's going to be a loooooooooooong time waiting though.

Exciting tme to be a wing commander fan!
I am lucky enough to have unlocked the region coding on mt DVD, so I need to look at importing this to the UK

Exciting tme to be a wing commander fan!
I am lucky enough to have unlocked the region coding on mt DVD, so I need to look at importing this to the UK

I have not seen a new regionlocked player in 8 years... Do they still lock them in the UK?

Yes, I think it speaks very well of the studio that has licensed Academy that they'd do this. Note that it's not a missing episode--it's that one of the episodes is missing two minutes of footage. So you can see the kind of care they're putting into this.

I think if they'll release it in March, they could consider dubbing it in different languages (for the ones who don't like reading subtitles) and for a German dubbing, get those Voice-Actors onboard:
Maverick: Frank Röth
Tolwyn: Jürgen Jung or Wolfgang Condrus (latter one was Dr. Soran in Star Trek 7)
Maniac: Jan Odle
Thrakhath: Alwin-Joachim Meyer
Space Wiking from "Recreation": Raimund Krone (Worf's Voice-Actor)

Talking about it, have they said anything about subtitles and dubbings?

I'm not sure if they have the resources for new voice-overs, but that's just the impression I have. It sounds to me like they just have the licence to redistribute the show with outlay minimised to things like the licensing fees and production/packaging costs.

Mine is a Sony, its about 5 years old and it was a cheap deal, so that might explain why it was locked.
Well, overhere about 8 years ago all the b-brand cheap players came region free, and featured a lot more options then their sony/philips/jvc counterparts.. When disabling the region lock became something very simple, most brands removed the lock(in the video rental outlets all the newest releases are Region 1 import).

Back