Wing Commander Academy Characters, where are they now?

NinjaLA

Alex Von T.
In the wing commander academy cartoon series, we get to meet a few other pilots-in-training on the Claw.

First and foremost on the list is Gwen "Archer" Bowman, I've always wondered whether or not Tolwyn finds out that she shot down a kilrathi pilot carrying a plague that would have likely ended the war decades earlier. Maybe this is why we hear nothing of her career.

Hector "Grunt" Paz seems to find himself face to face with his own limitations and one has to wonder if his paralysis does end up permanent after one too many sorties.

and Lindsey "Payback" Price has a chip on her shoulder the size of the Kilrathi armada which disposed of her entire family. Of all the pilots in the series, she was the most likely to attain glory or go out in a blaze.

I don't remember if there's anything about the others since academy came out but this interesting bit is in the Life at Port Broughton section of Star*Soldier:

I spend another half hour trying to flag down someone in the common area for another interview. I am turned down by everyone from a Sorn weaver to a Ka threemale in a medical vest. Then a short man in a purple jumpsuit taps my shoulder: “Hector Paz. What can I do for you?” Mr. Paz is a human, roughly seventy. Not old by any means for a core civilian, but an amount of years which can take its toll on the frontier. I accept his introduction without question, as he has the build and the standing of a Confederate Marine. In fact, I realize as I start to reply he is not wearing a jumpsuit but a chameleon BDU which has long ago malfunctioned.

“Well, I —” Everything stops. The red haze is interrupted by a flashing blue strobe.

Wow, I'm surprised I missed that during my inspection of Star*Soldier, but there it is, confirmation that one Hector Paz does make it into his old age.

I thought for a moment that "the red haze is interrupted by a flashing blue strobe" could have been a vague reference to the "Red and Blue" episode, but it's probably just a coincidence.

With the exception of Grunt, we just don't know - fans online *hated* Academy when it was new, so there was never much support for continuing the characters' adventures...

There was a joke at the time that it was a funny concept for a children's show since all the characters died on the Tiger's Claw and Tolwyn became space-Hitler. :)

Space Point

I highly doubt Payback stayed in the corps, and if she did, I doubt she lived long. She was as tough as they come in terms of her attitude, but she hesitated way too much, and that could kill a pilot! Killing her insane commrade when he tried to attack the Claw caused her to lose the psycological edge.

I think you are thinking of Archer, frosty, Payback was the redhead with exceptionally pale skin.

I think you are thinking of Archer, frosty, Payback was the redhead with exceptionally pale skin.

crap... yeah you're right. I need to go download the vids, its been a long time since I saw them. So yeah... reread my post and replace Payback w/ Archer!

One wonders what happened to Viking -- she seems to have been created with Archer's same running story in the first episode... and then dropped permanently.

One wonders what happened to Viking -- she seems to have been created with Archer's same running story in the first episode... and then dropped permanently.

Yeah... too bad as well, she seemed like a very capable pilot, and honestly, I didn't see that one coming, you didn't see the same cockpit drama with her as you did with Archer.

Back